Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

*POSTPONED* TNX Summer Wheeling in Virginia

11K views 138 replies 11 participants last post by  TerryD 
#1 · (Edited)
****Current Plan:****​
Saturday 06/02/2018 2PM at Exxon off Exit 283(?), Woodstock, Va.

The Group:
@TerryD
@Wanderlost
@bluez
@Thetank
@IssacHunter
@wdolin
@Red
@Vizard

Communication Plan:
FRS CH 4

Did I miss anyone?
Anyone know how to get a hold of @wdolin ? They haven't been active for a while now.

ORIGINAL POST
A couple of us Va folks have been talking about a Peter's Mill Run/Tasker's Gap OHV trip this summer. We should also consider Flag Pole as it's very stock friendly as well. Anyways, I thought I'd start a thread for us to start hammering out details.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

@bluez
@Red
@afarrar3
@Wanderlost
@PipeFighter

and I'm sure I'm missing someone, so tag away guys.

June 2nd seems to be out but I could probably do a day trip on the 1st. Beyond that it looks like July 14th would be my next REALLY free date.

#2 ·
I have not done flagpole but really want to. We could do both if we do some camping or meet up early. Some thoughts:

1. Meet on a Saturday evening. Do one route. Camp. Do the other route on Sunday morning.
2. Meet up at Peter's Mill at 6a. or 7am on Saturday and do both Peter's Mill and Flagpole in one day. (I would camp at Peter's Mill from Friday to Saturday.)

What do you think? Is that too involved for most people? I am up for both a short and long get together.

#3 ·
I'd be up for it. I like road trips! I've never been to Peter's Mill so I don't know how that would play out. I'm free the weekend of the 2nd but I think you guys had said you're busy the rest of the weekend.

I've been wanting to do Flag Pole to Reddish Knob then over to the Big Levels trail head to camp for the night and do Big Levels the next day. That'll probably be in August or September though.

#4 ·
I can do the first, but my availability is shot until about noon on the 1st. Have to be at Bolling AFB in northern Virginia for 3ish hours that morning. I’m always up for camping and a road trip. All I need is 2 trees somewhere nearby to hang a hammock !

As for the 14th. That one is kind of shot for me. Ill just be getting home from a dive trip to Florida.

#11 ·
I'll be up for anything that teaches me more about the vehicle and thats stock friendly.
Not looking to add any dents to my X..:dontknow:

Reactions: TerryD
#31 ·
So just making sure we are always playing the same of music.

Meet at the Exxon at 2 pm and do Peters Mill Run..and camp and out the next morning?

Reactions: bluez
#32 ·
Yep, I think that's the plan. Feel free to camp the night before or head out after the wheeling is done though. Depending on the weather Sunday and how early I can get camp broke and pointed back toward home, I might day-trip across the Switzer Lake track of Flag Pole and across Reddish Knob to West Augusta and pick 81 back up in Staunton on my way home. Anyone headed back this way is welcome to join as well.

#35 ·
For the trip I ended up getting a set of grade A refurbished Cobra ACXT1035 GMRS/FRS radios for $40. Pretty nice deal considering they normally go for around $90-100. Figured that while I don't plan on mounting a mobile GMRS radio in the rig over my CB/Ham having a handheld of GMRS/FRS may come in handy.

#38 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.