Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been running the stock pro4x rugged trails. i've got 24k mi. on them. yesterday i got a deep puncture, so one is out of service. i haven't been rotating in my spare, as i was planning on swapping out the rubber early to upgrade, so it's pristine. i'm looking for opinions on what to do. i figure i have 3 choices.

buy one new rugged trail, and put the two new ones on the front, and start rotating in the spare. this is the cheapest option, but will prolong the life of tires i want to replace, so it doesn't make a ton of sense other than price.

buy 4 new tires (cooper a/t3, same size as stock), and keep the virgin spare, and rotate 4 tires.

buy 5 new tires and rotate them all in.

thanks,

-SM-

·
on line
22,508 Posts
sell the remaining good ones and get all new, bigger, tires .
This! :) Just an fyi, the spare doesnt have TPMS (computer can only recognize 4) and sometimes putting a tpms wheel in the spare location puts the sensor out of range and sets the light.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What do you mean by deep puncture?

Assuming the tire service told you it was un repairable. Tires probably are half way through their mileage life... How close are they to their seven year service life?

If I were you I'd look around for a used tire at about the same wear as your good three. If that didn't pan out quickly, I'd get four new. sucks.

Used tire value? What would you pay for the one you need instead of buying four new?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Crash App

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the offers. implicit is that you've all ditched the stock rubber, which is the way i'm leaning even if i "lose" a little money. i'm going to hit a couple local shops this week and see what it will take.

i'm not really interested in a used tire, even for free, but i'm not really the demographic. it's nice to know someone who needs it can benefit from the life left on my tires. btw, be careful w/ dry rot.

as for the tpms - f&ck it. it can't get any more annoying and useless than it already is.

-SM-

·
on line
3,285 Posts
If you are keeping the same size, I say buy 2 new LT-rated tires (or 4 or 5 if you can afford it). Once you pop another rugged trail, replace the other 2 (if you only bought 2 LTs initially).

The very light weight Passenger (P) tires are not good for the X. Light Truck (LT) tires are much better. Everyone will have their own preference (i.e. All Terrains (ATs) vs. Mud Terrains (MTs), one brand vs another), but most will agree that LTs are important. Personally, I won't put anything on my X lighter than a D load rating, but that is just me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The very light weight Passenger (P) tires are not good for the X. Light Truck (LT) tires are much better. Everyone will have their own preference (i.e. All Terrains (ATs) vs. Mud Terrains (MTs), one brand vs another), but most will agree that LTs are important.
thanks for the advice. i'm kinda on the fence P vs LT. while i see the benefit for off-road, almost all of my miles are on pavement as a DD/kid hauler. not sure the extra weight and harsher ride will be justified.

-SM-

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I've taken my BFG rugged trails to Moab twice. Yep, they're P-rated. They did what I needed and no punctures. My next tires will be LT tho.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Crash App

Yeah, I don't want to recommend P rated to someone who does a lot of offroading, BUT I did a lot of offroading in the four summers I lived in CO and did it all on P rated A/Ts. I never had one flat. I was probably lucky, but I'm also careful and have a decent amount of wheelin experience. I did up to level 5 trails on trail damage.

IF I was going to an LT tire, I would not go above a C Load. Unfortunately, they are getting tougher to find.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for everyones help. what i decided to do is get 5 new LT285/75R16. the 4 existing 265/75R16 will be put on my old Ford Ranger which has dry rot 245/75R16 right now. everybody gets bigger shoes! i'm just waiting to get an OEM aluminum rim.

-SM-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts