Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
As you all may or may not know, I have been looking into having a tank made that would take the place of the boot / storage box in the back. The plan is to have one root molded in a similar fashion to the old school Scepter cans, and the frontrunner just a tad thicker, in black (To block light and keep mold at bay). The final design would carry around 9 gallons and have a top port (Possibly 6 inch) so if you needed to scrub it out you could. I had planned on having 4, 1/2 inch ports Brass insets inlaid into the mold) to drain fill and vent the tank. it would also use the boot box screws to score it to the vehicle. it would also have a plate to mount a pump to (I planned on using a small RV style pump to pump the water out, at about 35 psi and 1.1 gpm)
I am in preliminary discussions with a local rortomolding company and it looks like they would cost about 220 to 250 per unit. I would like to know how many if any of you would be interested in a purchase..... I will keep a running tally for a month or so and see where we get to.

Thanks all,

Gunslinger / Jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, He and I have spoken about it and I have seen it in person. I personally think he did a great job. My concern with his tank is that the plastics used by Nissan were not water safe. I did contact Nissan about that very subject and got the old "its a trade secret" answer. Which tells me that it is not safe for water contact... and I aint having none of that! I am kind of a freak about water as that is my chosen career field.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the one! I am interested in where that pump mount is going and where your fittings will come out.
I am not sure if you have ever taken that box out, but there is a ton (standard not metric) of extra space back there. which is where the pump will rest attached to the front wall of the tank. electrical to be supplied by the rear cargo area power plug (I modded mine to be hot all the time). Drain ports (x2 to be located on the front bottom of the tank. Vent and fill ports upper corners above the drain ports. The 6 inch access port on the top of the tank (which comes from a boat manufacturer btw) will be covered by the original box cover and I supposed could be used as a fill port......

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's the one! I am interested in where that pump mount is going and where your fittings will come out.
I am not sure if you have ever taken that box out, but there is a ton (standard not metric) of extra space back there. which is where the pump will rest attached to the front wall of the tank. electrical to be supplied by the rear cargo area power plug (I modded mine to be hot all the time). Drain ports (x2 to be located on the front bottom of the tank. Vent and fill ports upper corners above the drain ports. The 6 inch access port on the top of the tank (which comes from a boat manufacturer btw) will be covered by the original box cover and I supposed could be used as a fill port......
Sweet!! I actually did take it out! I ended up putting my tank in the space where my spare tire used to be. The cage that holds that is bolted up through the boot box so I can get to the bolts easily to drop it if it needs repairs. I look forward to seeing your build!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts