Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to remove the grill without removing the bumper. It was hard enough to install the darn thing and I don't want to take it off if I don't have to. Has anyone done this????

BTW... I'm hoping to remove the grill in order to upgrade my horn. I'm not going to try it right now because it is VERY cold outside. I just want to know if it is possible.

Thanks.

·
on line
463 Posts
Don't know if you read the other post on this but, the answer is yes.
Reach down behind the grille and feel the six clips that snap into the front-end.
As you push down on the top ones, you kind of push out at the same time.
After the first one you'll get it and the rest is simple.
Reccomend that you start at the side, working towards the center.

Jim B

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Actually, you can't. I tried when I wanted to hose out the radiator. The bumper comes up and prevents you from getting the bottom of the grill out.

·
on line
641 Posts
muzikman said:
Actually, you can't. I tried when I wanted to hose out the radiator. The bumper comes up and prevents you from getting the bottom of the grill out.
Hmmm, with my Shrock front bumper soon to be installed, I don't like the sound of that!

Rather than sliding the four tabs along the bottom of the grill out towards the Shrock bumper (I assume that's where you ran into problems with not enough clearance), can you instead release the pins (or bolts, if you used them) that hold the piece of the old plastic bumper (or MC's strip of aluminum) that the bottom of the grill clips into?

·
on line
641 Posts
Bump.

Has anyone with a Shrock front bumper found a way to remove the grille without disturbing the bumper?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I did, It was easy. Remember, I just painted my grille in the thread on installing a winch rope?

All ya do is take the pins out of the top and reach in and do the pins in the bottom, with a finger you just find the pointy part of the pin and push it. 1 out of 4 fell to the same place everything falls if you have a Shrockworks bumper. Then, When I re - installed it, I put it back same way but pushed the pins in from the top so they will come out easier in the future.

This is like super easy. Just be gentle. It took me like 3 minutes from start to finish.

OH! I see now, I did the MC Bumper saver MOD which also allows removal of the grille with the shrockworks bumper installed as the push pins are easy to get to. But, you guys may be able to also as my MOD is just a copy of the Top of the bumper. Remove the pins NOT the Clips.
Post here if it works. But I am sure it works with MC Bumper Saver Mod.

Here is a Pic I took showing my Winch and all with my Grille waiting to dry. (Cause I know ya all think I am BullSheeting you)
You can kind of see where the pins push in.

And if you really think I am kidding, Picture of the grille out and being painted, on date properties of picture displays, it matches my posts.

MC

·
on line
189 Posts
I do not have any problems removing my grill. My Shrock doesn't interfere at all. I followed USMC's mod thread when I installed mine.
BTW, Love the painted grill, will be doing mine soon...As well as emblems to match..

·
on line
641 Posts
dpatton said:
Has anyone with a Shrock front bumper found a way to remove the grille without disturbing the bumper?
Now that I have a Shrock front bumper, I can answer my own question :)

To remove/install the grille, you do so with the 'bumper saver' or 'bumper top' (the piece that the grille's flat tabs clip into) attached to the grille. In other words, you remove/install the clips or bolts holding the piece that holds the bottom edge of the grille.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts