Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
on line
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone has tried this; I installed 2" spacers up front and of course was having UCA contact problems. I took a 0.5" heater rubber tube and cut it through on one side, opened it up and fastened along the inside of the UCA contact area-- works like a bump stop. Took the X out hiking on 25 miles of severely pot holed gravel road and it has worked like a charm so far. It stayed in place, showed no wear, and best of all no "clunk" noise anymore. Only time will tell if it will last, about a three buck mod. Have photos, but don't know how to attach.

·
on line
807 Posts
Doing that very same thing crossed my mind, but I thought the hose would get cut instantly with the force of the UCA coming down on it. I'm glad to here it worked out for you. I don't get the noise too often, but I have some hose lying around so I'll give it a try. Thanks.

·
on line
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far it has worked beyond my expectations. The 1/2 inch heater tubing seems very resilent. I used pull ties to attach and they seem to be holding the tubing in place just fine-- no movement of the tubing and the tubing showed no damage after 25 miles of pot holes. The kind of pot holes that ram your head up against the roof of the cab if you don't crawl. I think it is because there is no side to side movement on the rubber, just compression and release. I used black ties and black tubing so it's hard to spot. Not bad for three bucks!

The following photo was taken after the trip.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/ram190/UCAa.jpg

·
on line
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For best results you should probably try and find the sturdiest tubing you can find (ya no brainer). What I used I found at the local hardware store. And, keep in mind there are probably better ties to use than the ones I used, the kind that tighten like a belt and wider would probably work better. However, the current configuration does seems to work so I will leave it for now. You guys let me know how it worked for you.

·
on line
240 Posts
Heater hose from the auto store is pretty tuff stuff.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wow, that sounds like your spacer is too tall. What spacer do you have?

If your UCA is sitting on the spring bucket, you have no more downward travel.

·
on line
369 Posts
Xterror said:
Mine seem to make contact just setting still. Did you have to remove the tires to put the tubing on?
Just move the car around a little bit to settle the suspension. I used high pressure water hose, works great and is very durable.

·
on line
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best to take the wheel off, easier to put the ties on. Glad to here this mod is working for others as well.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Yes and No. The TC uca's have a droop stop built into them which is in a way a bumpstop to ease "topping out" but typically a bumpstop is to prevent "bottoming out" or full compression of your shocks... well, not to totally prevent bottoming (because you can still fully compress) but help ease(assisting the shocks) the hard hits.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are downward travel bump stops, though, what they are doing here with the heater hose, is basically a bump stop. The shock is usually what limits the down travel in the front.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Use the right spacers. If the spacers are too tall they will hit. If they are not, they won't.

The Topgunz seem to be ok, the Day Star seem to be ok and there have been mixes reviews on the Calmini. I am not sure about the PRG.

Anything 2-2.5" should be fine. Anything over 2.5" and you will probably have some contact.

·
on line
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the TopGunz and that was the reason for the mod - contact.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Hmm...

Either these mfg's can't build to spec or Nissan can't. mcampana doesn't have any UCA contact and that's what he got. It seems that it's hit or miss no matter the spacer lift you have.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
muzikman said:
Wow, that sounds like your spacer is too talk. What spacer do you have?

If your UCA is sitting on the spring bucket, you have no more downward travel.
I was greedy and wanted the extra 1/2 inch so I got the Calmini 2wd spacer and put them on my 4wd X. Not the smartest move I guess.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts