Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, fellas I seem to be problem.

Rounding a right turn, downward facing entrance ramp onto the highway I experienced a loud noise from "up front" and the SLIP light flashed repeatedly on and off. I was on dry pavement going 35 or so. Steering became tight and felt as if the front wheels were binding.

Slowing my rate of speed and steering a bit left seemed to alleviate "some" of the noise; however it took the entire cloverleaf before "normality" was restored.

So I drive around most of the day (in 2wd) and didn't experience this again until I was driving down a twisting, turning road. The noise wasn't as loud but I experienced the other symptoms rounding another half dozen turns on the way downhill and then again a couple of times going uphill.

For those of you in Northern California this was on route 49 (Coloma Rd) out of Auburn towards Cool.

I've driven the past couple of days back and forth to work without incident, but I have a service appointment with Nissan this evening.

Wished the underside of my truck looked a little cleaner. It's a 2005 Offroad Manual Transmission.

I'm hoping for the best. Anyone have a diff go while in 2wd?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
that sounds a lot like a front diff. You can check it by putting it in 4wd, lifting the front and spinning the wheels by hand. The other tire should spin the oposite way. Also look to see how much play is in the wheel. Meaning, as you turn the wheel by hand, how many revolutions before the other wheel starts to move (should not be much 1/16 of a rotation I would say, as there is some driveling slop).

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown:--Man thats a bummer XKnut--

--You ever go farther south to hiwy 88 East to SILVER LAKE ???

--I've never been on 49 South of Auburn, I'm always North above Downieville/Sierra City--

--Good luck---JIMBO

·
on line
68 Posts
It sounds to me lie you might have been pushing the speed a bit on those turns and your VDC was doing what it was designed to do. It was retarding the timing and pulsing the brakes. The noise you heard was the VDC system utilizing the ABS to stabilize you truck through the turns. the "SLIP" light will normally flash through this process.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
It sounds to me lie you might have been pushing the speed a bit on those turns and your VDC was doing what it was designed to do. It was retarding the timing and pulsing the brakes. The noise you heard was the VDC system utilizing the ABS to stabilize you truck through the turns. the "SLIP" light will normally flash through this process.
x2

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. The highway ramp was a long wide turn and I was only going 35 when the incident began, less than the orange-sign recommended speed.

On this stretch of Rt49 there really isn't any way to exceed speed without leaving your lane, or leaving the road. The street is too narrow; and on that day full of traffic. The long line of traffic alone forces you to go slowly.

However, for the sake of argument, wouldn't ABS light come on during this as well? It did not in my case. And the noise I heard wasn't the shudder and stutter of ABS functioning, nor did I feel it on the brake pedal. And this happened going uphill a couple of times as well.

Does VDC make a gnashing, gargling, grinding sound?

Syn - No, I have LT265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Ok, they're not a "passenger" rated tire; perhaps slightly heavier than the BFG "Rugged" Trail stock tires, but not larger.

Checking BFG and Nitto websites it does appear that the tire is a bit smaller.

BFG Rugged Trail is 31.8 with 662 revs per mile.
Nitto Terra Grapplers are 31.5 with 659 revs per mile.

So the tire is actually smaller, though the tread is deeper (11/32 vs 15.6/32). The revs per mile don't add up in my mind; a smaller tire takes fewer revolutions per mile?

I can't find weight information at the moment.

If Nissan can't duplicate the problem then no expense on my part and I'm on record as having an issue.

I appreciate the help folks!

·
on line
230 Posts
This sounds like a VDC problem to me. Mine acted up after Baja as I passed through California. It turned out a low tire was throwing it off.(I had 5 flat, flat trail t/as in Baja. And yes, it made HORRIBLE noises on turns. That is normal. If you dont have a flat tire like me, it is probably something like a Yah sensor. I have seen failures here before.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, ok.

A Yah sensor? As in pitch, yaw and roll in airplane maneuvering?

That makes sense.

If it's simply a sensor then great!

Thanks Lloyd (et al).

I'm beginning to feel a little better about the whole thing.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Only problem I have with saying it's VDC is that the steering isn't effected. Yet, when I blew my front diff, it would catch and snap the steering straight (as if you were locked).

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Yet, when I blew my front diff, it would catch and snap the steering straight (as if you were locked).
Prolly cause the shaft stub was being "bitten" by the spidergears as it floated/banged around, and would be pulled/drawn in as they made their way around the diff ?..

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I did not get to see the inside of the diff, but it almost felt like as the gears were eating themselves, broken teeth would get caught in the spider gears and bind.

As I would turn it would bind up, snap the steering straight as if it was locked and then with a really loud clunk, break free.

When I jacked the front up and turned the tires, I would get about 8 full rotations before the other tire moved and when it did it would move the same direction. I assume I had very few teeth left on the side gears and the spider gears. I think the R&P were pretty much intact.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, and you mean ABLS, right? That is in effect the VDC.. Your slip light flashed too, yes?
Yes, I meant the ABLS system but I was referring to the physical light on the dash that reads ABS.

IIRC there are lights that read ABS, SLIP and VDC on the dashboard.
No, only the SLIP light came on during these episodes.

Nissan has called and cannot duplicate the problem. They now want me to take a test drive with them to try to duplicate it. Down here in the valley, it's may be hard to do so without any twisting roads.

We'll see.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
IIRC there are lights that read ABS, SLIP and VDC on the dashboard.
You're correct there, and no, ABS, would have nothign to do w/ your situation.. I still contend VDC was working properly. :)

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still contend VDC was working properly.
It may very well have been the case. It's the first time I ever experienced it and it wasn't what I would have expected.

BTW I'm typing this on a computer in the dealership service waiting room. :D

They are checking the ECU to see if anything was logged, and going to check the diff fluids.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
It may very well have been the case. It's the first time I ever experienced it and it wasn't what I would have expected.
It could be unnerving at first.. If you've ever used HDC, it's kinda' the same thing. Grinding, chirping, squeaking, sounds you're not used to hearing, the wheel's tighter..
Lloyd said it best as when you take friends wheeling the 1st time going downhill w/ HDC on, when it starts making all that noise and your friends wonder aloud, 'What is that?" Look real worried and scream back, "I DON"T KNOW!! YYEEAAARRRGGHHH!!!!"

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the ECU had no troubles logged.

The front diff fluid was black (as reported by the tech). It's time for the 30k checkup so that will be replaced this week. Hope it's free of metal when fully drained.

Anyway, I guess the conclusion here is that this noob needs to learn about the VDC and be more aware of it's functions. It may take some time to become accustomed to the truck taking over the drivers tasks as such.

And perhaps be more aware of speed in downhill ess turns. :cyclops:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts folks!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -Well XKNUT, I guess you don't know anything about Silver Lake, right !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
776 Posts
DIFF?

xtatik said:
X2 THATS WHAT HAPPENS WITH MINE WHEN I GO TOO FAST AROUND TURNS ON GRAVELY OR STEEP ROADS!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts