Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I did some wheeling with some Land Rovers this past weekend (Doing my part to spread the good word about Xterras) and we got into some pretty good water (rolled over the hood a few times).

Well, Monday morning on my way to work I noticed my battery light and my brake light were both on and the voltage meter was reading on the low side.

After about 15 minutes, the voltage meter shot back up to where it normally is and the battery and brake lights both went out. Everything was good the rest of the ride.

When I left work, the exact same thing happened but only for about 2 minutes, then it was fine.

Is this the beginning of a failed alternator or could it be something else?

·
on line
807 Posts
sounds like a battery, not an alternator.
To me it seems like there is a drain on the battery somewhere, or the battery just looses charge overtime, so when you first start it, the charge is low, turning on the light... but then after you drive it for a while it gets recharged by the alternator, making the lights go away.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sounds like it, though I am not sure what the brake lights would be on for. Maybe you toasted some other sensors.

Mine went via the slow death. It still worked fine but made some nasty noises. When I replaced it there was so much slop in the shaft that I am shocked it stayed together as long as it did. Nissan does sell bearing for the alt's. They are $25 a piece (you need two) so a rebuild is possible.

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it's my battery, the truck is only 11 months old. Well, it's still under warranty so hopefully if it goes they'll cover it. I think I'm gonna get it detailed soon and take it to the dealer for a checkup.

Will detailers clean the engine compartment too?

·
on line
15 Posts
That's a Alternator problem. I had the exact same thing... turns out my alternator was stuck with mud... had to replace it with a "used" one from my stealer... on the warranty and at 2000 km ... :angryfire: :cussing:

Edit : and no they don't clean the engine area... just where the alternator is.. (my engine was cover in mud)

Edit 2 : They WILL charge ya if they have to clean the engine area first.

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,
I got the engine compartment clean and I haven't had any more problems other than that first day. I'm going to stop wheeling in the X until it's paid for and the warranty runs out.
I'm looking at a kick ass Range Rover Classic right now. It may be my new toy!

·
on line
15 Posts
js479 said:
Thanks,
I got the engine compartment clean and I haven't had any more problems other than that first day. I'm going to stop wheeling in the X until it's paid for and the warranty runs out.
I'm looking at a kick ass Range Rover Classic right now. It may be my new toy!
I wouldn't wait if I were you. Take it to the dealer and let them check the alternator because if you have mud in it like mine, it took a week before it begin to make really strange noise... :(

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Man I can't remember what it is called but last year the boating industry came out with a spray that you hose down your Alt with and it keps water from jacking with it. West Marine has it. I'm not home to look. And if it does get Dirty have some CRC electrical contact cleaner on hand to hose it down. It works. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'm about ready to cut a door in the inner fender so that I can get in there and clean the alt better. Right now it's a real pain to get to.

I am also thinking about picking up a few of the staun chassis spa an mount two to clean the radiator and one to clean the alternator.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Here is the stuff I was talking about. Says you have to order it but I got it at a Boat store somewhere.
Boaters world or west marine is where I hang out but could have been Silver Doallr who are kaput now.
I figure better than nothing.
http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/marine.html

MC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts