Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever been on Porter Road in Ellington Connecticut? From what I understand this is a road that was started and then cancelled. Curious if anyone has been there and want to see if anyone would be interested in checking it out. I know of another place near me that's like this in the Guilford area if anyone wants to go on a run there with me (takes about 45-60 mins to run both ways).

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
According to google maps there are houses on this street. It does seem that there may be some two tracks at the end. But what's the legality when it comes to the property. I have reached out to a few people and will let you know with what I find out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. From what I've seen, there are groups that go there; of course, that doesn't mean they are legal though. BUT it does show up on a map just like the place I go to in Guilford, so it does appear to be a town road. Thanks for the help. Maybe we can set something up if we get good news about the road.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
In Connecticut, as far as I know, there are no public lands that allow offroading. I know places like you describe (there's another similar area in Middletown and Beacon Falls) - both are "dead roads" but they are illegal. And you likely will run the risk that residents will call the police on you. Some police departments do field off road vechiles or ATVs.

CT does have State Parks that allow you to drive on public roads through the park. Obviously these are quite easy, they range from dirt to pavement; a honda civic can handle it. Especially when they are well maintained.

Nepaug state park and Meshomasic are the exceptions that I know of. Again, off roading is not legal there. BUT the public use roads have deteriorated quite a bit to the point where you could utilize a 4x4. Nepaug especially. Still on the main roads there's nothing too challenging. There is some good scenery though, and nice hiking trails. Also Meshomasic has the old Nike silo site.

Be careful - there are tons of fun looking side trails, that aren't always marked as private use, but are. Sometimes these areas are patroled.

Years ago I've ended up accidentally on these off shoots. Its ranged from park rangers letting us off with a warning (honestly we were lost) - to a private land owner letting us know how much he supported the 2nd ammendment.

I think you'd be hard pressed to run any sort of caravan in CT unless its on private lands. But I am talking from experiences from close to 10 years ago - so who knows now.

·
Registered
698 Posts
In this State, you're more or less hosed. It's worse now than it was 10 years ago I can just about gurantee that.

With that said, Meshomasic has me interested seeing as how there's a missle silo there apparently.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there anything where you are ripper? It seems like nobody even wants to try to get something going, it's really weird. And yes, I belong to groups that have events and all, but I need to get better skids before I get into something more challenging.

And I also heard, and I'm not sure where, that you need to have a permit for OHV trail use in MA. That true?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Regarding permit, technically yes, and it applies to "Jeep-like vehicles." Definitely applies to ATVs, dirt bikes, and the like - just a fee and two registration stickers. That said, I have attempted to register my X and been told that it couldn't/wouldn't be done, at least by the environmental police office in Boston (a bureaucracy trying not to take my money? Inconceivable!). I know someone in RI who has his 4runner registered as an OHV here, so I'll have to try again in the sticks.

Rip's pretty much the man when it comes to western affairs. NEXTerra prowls southern/central MA, PA, and we're starting to breach the northern states.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
All of the silos were underground and are filled in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heh - the silos might be, but there's more underground. :)

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
is there anything where you are ripper? It seems like nobody even wants to try to get something going, it's really weird.
I usually set up a few meet and wheel runs a year. Right now is a tough time for me to set anything up. I have work (12hr overnights), class, ER clinicals, ambulance ride time, and homework associated with all that. And it seriously doesn't help that the weather is terrible. A few of is went out on the 16th and it was a damn winch fest!

As far as places to go I have several around me that I frequent. Try and make the April Fools run in Sturbridge. If you go we can chat more about trails in Western MA and CT.

Also I went and did some recon at this place today. It's a marked legal road which means as long as you stay on that you're ok. There were a lot of trails braiding off of it. But it was very conspicuously posted no trespassing. I don't condone going on the property marked no trespassing, so if you go do so at your own risk.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ripper, that's really all I needed to know, whether it's marked as a road. As long as I have a map with it on there I have, at the very least, proof that it is marked. Thanks.

As for April Fools run, I don't have "real" skids yet, I just have my stock Pro4x skids (with the exception of my radiator skid. Would I be ok? I haven't looked into it too much.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Post up if you do. I've got a good bit of work to do on my rig before I will take it out on the trail but I haven't been up to VT in quite some time. Always liked that state.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Thanks Ripper, that's really all I needed to know, whether it's marked as a road. As long as I have a map with it on there I have, at the very least, proof that it is marked. Thanks.

As for April Fools run, I don't have "real" skids yet, I just have my stock Pro4x skids (with the exception of my radiator skid. Would I be ok? I haven't looked into it too much.
A stock X with no skids is safe at GG. Just take off the mud flaps and step bars and you'll be good. No one will let you get jammed up. We all take care of our own.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Cavedog,

This is the guy in the white X you ran into at the sunflower field in N. Branford this Saturday. The software won't let me post an email address or PM you until I have 15 posts, this is #1 . . . . very frustrating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts