Discussion Starter #1
Quick Stats:
2006 Xterra
82,000 miles

I just lifted my x by 2 inches. I achieved this by adding:
Nisstec 2" shackles with stock leaf packs
Bilstein 5100 2" adjustable with stock coil overs
Bilstein 5100 on rear

I notice it on bumps and sometime at slow speeds. Do I need to remove my rear sway bar at the level? What are the odds I am getting coil bucket contqct at this level?

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Quick Stats:
2006 Xterra
82,000 miles

I just lifted my x by 2 inches. I achieved this by adding:
Nisstec 2" shackles with stock leaf packs
Bilstein 5100 2" adjustable with stock coil overs
Bilstein 5100 on rear

I notice it on bumps and sometime at slow speeds. Do I need to remove my rear sway bar at the level? What are the odds I am getting coil bucket contqct at this level?
You don't specify where the "pops and clunks" are coming from. Front? Rear? Both?

Where did you set your front shocks? It is very common to get a harsh ride and coil bucket contact with the 5100's set at the 2" maximum lift. Greg at PRG recommends setting them no higher than 1 1/2". That is where I set mine and I have no "pops" or "clunks" in the front suspension.

Since all you did was change rear shackles, you probably didn't mess with your spring u-bolts. However, if you did you should re-torque them as loose u-bolts are a common cause of rear suspension noise. You can remove your rear anti-sway bar. You won't get much axle articulation unless you do.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You don't specify where the "pops and clunks" are coming from. Front? Rear? Both?

Where did you set your front shocks? It is very common to get a harsh ride and coil bucket contact with the 5100's set at the 2" maximum lift. Greg at PRG recommends setting them no higher than 1 1/2". That is where I set mine and I have no "pops" or "clunks" in the front suspension.
Yeah from my understanding, anything 2 inches and over, you will generally be experiencing CBC. I have it with 2.5 in spacers, I'll also get a clunk at times & will eventually be in the market for new UCAs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The front sound is definately coil bucket contact, I am 100% sure of that. I hope to get the SPC. The rear sound seems easy to correct. I will tighten the U's and if that doesn't solve it, I will remove the sway. I had my suspicions, but these responses confirm my gut and forum research thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I removed the sway bar and checked my U bolts all around 53 ft lbs per spec. The pop and creak from the rear end is still there. It seems to manifest the most when I am braking/slowing down or changing gears ie park to drive or park to reverse park to reverse etc. It is driving me nuts, it would not have anything to do with my rear diff right? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That would only affect the front, I just put on new LCAs should that make a difference?
There are rubber washers to keep the lca from sliding on the bolt. Prg sells delrin lca spacers to replace them. Usually you get a pop or clunk when turning and articulating to when turning and changing directions, like going from forward to reverse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts