Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turning relatively sharp (not to full lock, just like taking a right turn on the street), I get a pop from either side. It's not a loud clunk; it sounds like a knock on a wood table (hold knuckel parallel, 3 inches from table and strike swiftly and accurately).

It doesn't happen all the time and there is no resistance when turning. I've noticed it recently and not sure if it's a matter of not getting all the mud/dirt out of the suspension/stearing after my last escapade...

(http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8833)

ideas? should I be worried?

·
on line
366 Posts
Lol, nice photo. :)

Did you check your front shocks? When I busted one of the front ones, it was kinda flopping around inside the spring in the front, and would make a knocking sound when it hit the coil.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't look closely, but a quick look before seams that the shocks looked fine.

...also, I have the Daystar 2~2.5 lift. It's not coil bucket contact, I know EXACTLY what that sounds like :(

I had the truck washed last week; I did notice that the steering knuckel was still dirty... maybe another good spray is what it needs.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
If you're getting a knocking sound, start with looking, but then move to the tightening/torquing phase. Check those fasteners and make sure they're tight. Sway bars get twisted like nobody's business. Arms, shocks--make sure nothing's loose. Put your hand on the steering linkage and give it a good shake, it should have slight play, but nothing more (you get at it from the driver's side, right behind the UCA). Look closely at bushings and anything else that keeps metal from contacting metal.

You could also jack it up, one wheel at a time, and with the tire still on, grip the tire at the top and bottom and check for excess play in the wheel--a sign of bearing wear or failure. But bearings probably wouldn't "knock."

If you get noise when you're steering, better safe than sorry. Really go over it if it isn't something obvious, then let the pros loose if you can't make it stop.

·
on line
104 Posts
i get the same knocking sound when i turn.. ive checked all the stuff underneath and everythign looks normal..
something i have noticed tho is that i get the clunking sound alot of times right after i get back on pavement after being on some rough dirt roads and stuff.. still dont know what the sound is though

·
on line
89 Posts
I hope you don't think I'm an idiot, But I had the same problem shortly after replacing the front rotors on my full size Chevy Blazer. The noise started to get worse as days went by. I took everything apart and reassembled it.....everything was cool. The noise got even worse, and only happened when I turned. I took the thing to the shop around the corner, And it was the damn rear. I would have sworn on my mother that the noise was from the front end.
Then my suburban did the same damn thing. With the questionable rears our trucks you might want to check the rear as well.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iandade01, I don't think you're an idiot... I'll take any suggestions anyone has. I'll be taking a good look at it Saturday... jumping on my sliders to see if I can get the sound w/o moving the wheel. I'll post up what I do or do not find.

...The more I think about it, the more I think the swaybar ends make sense (or maybe I'm just hoping). I didn't torque them down when I did my lift, I just used the 'old elbow method.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
jollyman78 said:
...and why does this topic keep getting "unwatched"!!!???
I'm watching this thread, for one. But it's very hard to diagnose a noise, so I think people agree with the suggestions and are wishing you the best. And iandade01 is right. It's incredibly how hard it is to locate a noise while driving.

Even without exact torquing, you should be able to get under the X and check that endlinks etc. are very tight. Get under there with some wrenches and let us know what you find.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I mean by "unwatched" is that this thread keeps being removed from my subscribed list. I don't get notifications and have to keep checking it manually.

...maybe if we don't get the snow tomorrow I can look; else it will be Saturday and I'll let everyone know.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I just spent a good 40 minutes under, on and in my X.

I jumped up and down on my sliders at full straight, full left and full right... I turned the wheel w/o and w/o power steering full left to full right, and back again... no noise

I climbed under it pulling, pushing and yanking on everything I could find... nothing moved other than expected.

I took a quick drive... backing out of the driveway (7 point turn as a friend parked a bit close) and I heard it pop once. While driving I didn't hear any popping at all.

The only think I can think is dirt/mud/crap in some part of the suspension causing this... I'll spray the hell out of the suspension and steering this week.

Right now, I'm not terribly worried... the pop I heard (with the windows down this time) didn't sound like something was coming loose. It actually sounded like a spring or leaf spring type flex sound... if that makes sense?

·
on line
86 Posts
I get a similar sounding noise when I go into full flex...ie...only 2 wheels with traction and need the locking diff. Just makes one discreet clunk/pop type of noise as full flex is approached. Not sure if it's the front or back. But you could try finding a place to flex the suspension a bit. Find a curb that is at an awkward angle or something. Or if you want an excuse for a trip, go screw around on the switzerland trail just a bit west of boulder. Might be too much snow up there still though, dunno.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
jollyman78 said:
Right now, I'm not terribly worried... the pop I heard (with the windows down this time) didn't sound like something was coming loose. It actually sounded like a spring or leaf spring type flex sound... if that makes sense?
Some more good data, no doubt. Leaf springs that aren't new and haven't been reconditioned (burniushed somehow and sprayed with graphite I believe) groan and "pop" as a normal matter of course, at least sometimes. My stockers did, and my Deavers do. Nothing really to worry about--if that's it.

But have you actually checked the tightness of your sway bar fasteners? In my experience you can't duplicate the forces on those things (or other suspension components) with your body in the driveway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts