Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a 2005 4x4 Manual S Xterra with 50,000 miles. The X is stock except for larger BFG All-terrain rubber. A couple of weeks ago, I notice a popping noise coming from the front of the X. It seems to happen when turning up or down an incline. It happens about halfway into the turn. However, if I'm just turning on a flat surface, there is no noise. It's when I turn over a bump, or up/down into an incline. Any ideas on what this might be? I rarely ever go off-road.

Thanks,
T

·
on line
113 Posts
Steering stops would be my first guess. The rubber caps will fail over time and youve got metal to metal contact. You can get under there and stick a glob of grease on it or get them replaced.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
I've got kinda the same issue...noticed it more over the last few days. It's only when I turn left and the sound is coming from the right front. I"m thinking it maybe my sway bar. I'm going to check it out tomorrow or the next day. Granted, I have a lift, and I do go offroad. I may even remove the front sway bar altogether :gasp:. we'll see.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
helofixer said:
Steering stops would be my first guess. The rubber caps will fail over time and youve got metal to metal contact. You can get under there and stick a glob of grease on it or get them replaced.
There are no steering stops in the 2nd gen x's. That's only the first gen.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Muzikman said:
My guess is the front swaybar or broken spring.
Mine was the front swaybar. One of the bolts had managed to wiggle itself loose. So when I turned, it would clank.

I would check that, only took 10 seconds.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Look at your front end. You will see a thick bar that runs from side to side with curved ends. The ends are attached to little rods with ball joint looking ends. One end attaches to the swaybar, the other to the lower control arm.

Make sure the nuts are tight on these ends. You will want to use an open end wrench on the back side to keep it from spinning.

Next, look infront of, but below the radiator. You will see that the swaybar passes through two brackets with rubber bushings. Make sure the bushings are in good shape and that the bar is not making any metal on metal contact.

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Muzikman said:
Look at your front end. You will see a thick bar that runs from side to side with curved ends. The ends are attached to little rods with ball joint looking ends. One end attaches to the swaybar, the other to the lower control arm.

Make sure the nuts are tight on these ends. You will want to use an open end wrench on the back side to keep it from spinning.

Next, look infront of, but below the radiator. You will see that the swaybar passes through two brackets with rubber bushings. Make sure the bushings are in good shape and that the bar is not making any metal on metal contact.
Well I checked it out yesterday afternoon. None of the bolts are loose. However, on the driver's side, the little rod w/ ball joint ends looked a little odd. The rubber piece that is on the end of the little bar that connects to the end of the thick bar that runs to the other side of the car was really bent and mashed. I check the passenger's side of the car to compare and it was unbent and pristine. the side that was damage looked like it wasn't lined up properly anymore. Any idea how it got like this and how to fix it?

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TXterra37 said:
Are you referring to your sway bar?
Yes, I believe so.

By the way, I think that i saw you (TXterra) driving down either Blanco or Bitters within the last couple of weeks. I've got a white X with stickers on the back (Big Bend, Glacier Natl Park, Wolf Creek).

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TXterra37 said:
YES! I remember driving next to you on Blanco after leaving The Melting Pot, Feb 16th to be exact because we were out for my fiance's birthday. LOL, I even remember pointing your X out to my friends as I intentionally drove up next to you to try and get you to see the "NewX.org" stickers and check it out.
hehe. So any ideas of what to do about my problem?

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm pretty sure that it is a rubber part of the sway bar, but how do I go about fixing it? Is it something that I can just order and replace, or should I take it to the dealership?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts