Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
As of late I have noticed a considerable drop off in my MPG's on my 108,000 mile 2006 automatic 4x4 Xterra. There is no CEL and it seems to run great....except the poor MPG's. The last fill up I un-scientifically calculated it at 13 MPG. The spark plugs were replaced last year at this time, so they have less than 20,000 miles on them. The air filter is also clean.
Any ideas as to what could be going on? Any ideas on items to check?

Thank you,
Zack

·
on line
1,113 Posts
theres that also check the tire pressure and you can do the ECU relearn, you could have gotten a tank of bad gas and the computer had to adjust. Im trying to remember the timing but (don't start it at any point during this, it wont hurt anything but you will have to shut it off and start over). Turn the key to ON wait 4 or 5 seconds, then press the gas pedal to the floor and fully release 5 times in 5 seconds, then wait 6 seconds press the pedal and hold it for 10 seconds till you see a yellow indicator light start flashing on the dash board and then wait a few seconds and start her up and just be easy on the throttle for a while and see if that helps bump you up a few mpgs.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theres that also check the tire pressure and you can do the ECU relearn, you could have gotten a tank of bad gas and the computer had to adjust. Im trying to remember the timing but (don't start it at any point during this, it wont hurt anything but you will have to shut it off and start over). Turn the key to ON wait 4 or 5 seconds, then press the gas pedal to the floor and fully release 5 times in 5 seconds, then wait 6 seconds press the pedal and hold it for 10 seconds till you see a yellow indicator light start flashing on the dash board and then wait a few seconds and start her up and just be easy on the throttle for a while and see if that helps bump you up a few mpgs.
So that is the exact sequence that I must do, because you said you are trying to remember the timing?

I will try it tomorrow. How long will the relearn take?

Thank you,
Zack

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I can't remember his name but one guy here had his cats go bad and I think he was also experiencing some poor MPGs before they broke up and got sucked into his engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I cant remember if its a 5 second or 6 second wait before pushing the throttle and holding it but the rest of it is correct, I don't do it often enough to remember it just right but either way it takes a few tries to get it right. It normally takes a few drive cycles to finish calibrating like 30-50 miles and be light on the skinny pedal.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Hi everyone,
As of late I have noticed a considerable drop off in my MPG's on my 108,000 mile 2006 automatic 4x4 Xterra. There is no CEL and it seems to run great....except the poor MPG's. The last fill up I un-scientifically calculated it at 13 MPG. The spark plugs were replaced last year at this time, so they have less than 20,000 miles on them. The air filter is also clean.
Any ideas as to what could be going on? Any ideas on items to check?

Thank you,
Zack
where do you live? if it has been very cold (single digits) and/or you've been driving in 4x4 through snow... its not that uncommon.

I got 14mpg on my last tank with the above conditions

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I can't remember his name but one guy here had his cats go bad and I think he was also experiencing some poor MPGs before they broke up and got sucked into his engine.

That was me! Both my front cats fried and caused massive engine failure. They said it was keeping the oil and gas mixture inside the engine instead of getting rid of it. Had to get a whole new engine (cost $6k installed). Before that I was getting about 12.5 mpgs. All I've got is 285's, 2" Spacers and my Xoskel lights (some say they see a mpg difference with them). Since I've had my new engine, I'm actually getting worse mpgs. I'm getting 11.7 mpgs. I have no idea why but it's getting ridiculous. My pressure is good on my BFG A/T's (Practically new) and I get about 230-240 miles per tank of gas. I honestly can not figure out why I'm getting such bad mpg's. I've since then bought a motorcycle because my mpgs are so bad.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
That was me! Both my front cats fried and caused massive engine failure. They said it was keeping the oil and gas mixture inside the engine instead of getting rid of it. Had to get a whole new engine (cost $6k installed). Before that I was getting about 12.5 mpgs. All I've got is 285's, 2" Spacers and my Xoskel lights (some say they see a mpg difference with them). Since I've had my new engine, I'm actually getting worse mpgs. I'm getting 11.7 mpgs. I have no idea why but it's getting ridiculous. My pressure is good on my BFG A/T's (Practically new) and I get about 230-240 miles per tank of gas. I honestly can not figure out why I'm getting such bad mpg's. I've since then bought a motorcycle because my mpgs are so bad.
That is really bad, I got 15.8mpgs this past fillup and I thought that sucked.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Alright! I'm glad you chimed in.. I just couldn't remember your user name. Can you comment on the type of driving you do? I don't want the same thing happening to mine or anyone else's rig - all I do is city driving and I generally get 12-14mpg with 33" MTs, spacers, AAL, shackle, and rear tire carrier. Highway I usually get about 18 or so

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I do 95% city driving. When I went to NXM this past Sept, the engine literally was finished up 30 mins before I left. According to my mpg thing, I got about 13mpg the whole trip. That was 6-7hrs of highway driving there and back. I'm honestly thinking about getting rid of it due to the bad mpgs.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
Do the battery disconnect / drivng procedure....simple test to know if your runing rich is go up a small hill climb and if you hear the rattle snake your running rich
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts