Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my 2000 X with a 05 X and my mpg is worse with the newer one. ive had it for just over a month. ive been trying to take it easy to get better milage, but im getting around 14 mpg. any suggestions???

·
on line
735 Posts
A lot of people get less than 15 mpg on winter blend fuel. I really can not get more than 16 mpg myself in town either (and I have a manual trans too). I have bested 20 mpg on the highway if you don't go over 65 mph though.

Just realize that it is 1) heavier than your old X and 2) has a bigger motor. The upside is that it is probably a little more efficient when you aren't generating horsepower to liven your commute.

·
on line
63 Posts
Weird, when I was stock I bested 22MPG highway averaging 75MPH.

·
on line
443 Posts
I almost never go over 2250 rpm and I am only averaging about 16.7 city...with intake and new muffler.

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope thats the case here...it also seems like the second half of the tank the needle drops super fast

·
on line
16 Posts
Hate to say this but my life has been a lot less stressful when I stopped keeping track of my mpgs. You've got a nice rig with nice power so enjoy. I have added exhausts and intakes to other vehicles and have never been able to get more than a mpg or two increase if i was lucky.

·
on line
735 Posts
muddyjack said:
Weird, when I was stock I bested 22MPG highway averaging 75MPH.
I have kept track of various vehicles economy over the years and a lot of them got 16-17 in town. It was always a balance of power vs weight. car vs truck etc. In town mileage was close car vs truck, but the aero of the cars always won out in highway economy. Texas doesn't have a lot of elevation changes either so I was kind of thinking about that too, but...

Now to respond to your question..I think you boys in Texas might have a little bit superior btu content in your gas than we have with our smog reformulated garbage in CA and other metro areas that have it. when that hit in the 90's, we definitely started burning more fuel to go the same distance. I'm not sure how burning more gas helps the environment...a question for another time perhaps. :study:

·
on line
874 Posts
I blame ethanol blends.....they suck!

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I've never seen more then 19mpg and i avg between 16.5 and 17.8. I drive 50 miles on the highway each day to and from work. Completly stock other then sliders.

I've also noticed the second half of tank disappears quickly

·
on line
1,044 Posts
One of my friends laughed at me when i told her my mpg. She drives a 4 banger camry lol over 35 mpg wow but that car is just not happening for me!

·
on line
3,331 Posts
B REAL said:
I've never seen more then 19mpg and i avg between 16.5 and 17.8. I drive 50 miles on the highway each day to and from work. Completly stock other then sliders.

I've also noticed the second half of tank disappears quickly
The gas gauge is ridiculous. I get 245-260 miles on the first half of a tank and 360-380 total.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts