Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of a better title to this thread, so there it is. I am considering spacing my wheels out so that they are not completely under the X, but out a little bit. Not too far, but enough to give it a wider stance. I have seen a couple of threads on here about it, but I'm still as confused as ever. I am going to keep the stock rims on the X. I don't plan on getting anything new for the moment. How do I go about getting that wide stance? I have seen spacers mentioned. And I have seen adaptors mentioned. Do I need both? Is there a difference? I am not the best with numbers and conversions and whatnot, so it might have to be dumbed down for me just a tad. Thanks in advance for any assistance. :D

·
on line
316 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but with a spacer wouldn't you have to get extended bolts to allow the wheels to still be safely mountable?

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Midnightblue54 said:
Correct me if im wrong but with a spacer wouldn't you have to get extended bolts to allow the wheels to still be safely mountable?
what they do is they bolt onto the stock hubs, and they give you a new set of threads in the same pattern to mount your wheel to.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Why, pray tell, do you want your tires STICKING out past the surronding fender shell ???

--Do you not mind, crap all over the sides of your X and on the door/on the windshield/on the hood and rear fenders ???

--do you feel you'll be safer from rolling, because of a more stable center of gravity ??

--Besides the fact that you will put UNDUE strain, on said lug bolts, bearings and spindles--
--Besides the fact that your dealer will laugh at you, all the way to YOUR BANK for withdrawa--l
--Besides the fact that you will have MORE clearance problems than you do now--

--Other than those minor tidbits--GO FOR IT---

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can use a spacer. The way a spacer works is that you bolt the spacer to the vehicle and then the wheel bolts to the spacer. The lugs and holes are evenly spaced on the spacer.

I am not sure what an "Adapter" is, but my guess it's someone else's name for a spacer.

You will have a couple problems.

If you are not lifted (and even if you are), you might space the wheels out far enough that the tires might hit the fender as you flex (especially in the rear).

Also, I would be sure your state does not have laws about tires sticking out from the fenders. In PA, you get ticketed pretty quick because of this. I had to put 7" flares on my Jeep and I am still not 100% legal, but close enough I have not been hassled since.

BTW, this is what a spacer looks like.

·
on line
316 Posts
Other than the fact that it MIGHT look cool, this definately isn't worth doing. Save your cash for something else like Shrock stuff.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...so it looks like this really isn't all that much worth it. I have seen it on other Xterras, specifically with steel rims. I know Steve (8th Man) has a completely different axel, which is why his sticks out like that. I've never seen it with the stock rims. I don't have any clearance problems now, as I have a 2-3" suspension lift. And I am planning on the body lift once I get back to VA. I didn't want them to stick out like an F-1 racecar, maybe half an inch at most. I see about the flex problem, though, with the tire hitting the fender. Why would the dealer laugh at me all the way to the bank?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you start busting things like ball joints and take it in with the spacers, they will point to the spacer and tell you they won't cover the ball joint under warranty (and they will have a valid reason).

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, maybe he's not that jovial, wait till you have suspension troubles and expect your warranty, to C.Y.A.---

1_BAMF_X said:
Wow...so it looks like this really isn't all that much worth it. I have seen it on other Xterras, specifically with steel rims. I know Steve (8th Man) has a completely different axel, which is why his sticks out like that. I've never seen it with the stock rims. I don't have any clearance problems now, as I have a 2-3" suspension lift. And I am planning on the body lift once I get back to VA. I didn't want them to stick out like an F-1 racecar, maybe half an inch at most. I see about the flex problem, though, with the tire hitting the fender. Why would the dealer laugh at me all the way to the bank?
---I'm not a naysayer, I've done this same thing,YEARS AGO and ended up with the problems, I previously mentioned--

--Besides, as Muzik says-state laws and the attitude of the investigating officer city/state--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
13,466 Posts
"Poking my tires out"

I saw that title and thought this was about an antirely different topic. I was thinking to myself....poking my tires out........hmmmmmmmmm.....Is that what the youngsters are calling it now a days? What happened to just saying "punch the clown, or tug-o-war with cyclops?"

·
on line
316 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I have spacers on the front of my truck, no problems so far. And i have an extra set sitting in my garage, PM me if you want them.
Yea but you also gotta consider how much lift you have so you don't have the rub issues with the fender.

·
on line
316 Posts
mcampana said:
Sexterra is rubbing dudes fenders all the time from what ive heard.
:laughing3:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
For some reason every time Mark burns me with a stupid comment... I have absolutely no comeback! I hate you!!

Man, my truck looks silly. Maybe I should totally ditch the fenders and just fab up some tubeing for and exo-cage in that area. Hmmmmm....

·
on line
316 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
For some reason every time Mark burns me with a stupid comment... I have absolutely no comeback! I hate you!!

Man, my truck looks silly. Maybe I should totally ditch the fenders and just fab up some tubeing for and exo-cage in that area. Hmmmmm....
Either that or put some kind of plating over them similar to shrock armor. Looks kind of retarded like that. Maybe you could find a way to fit some Titan style fender flares.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts