Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner and I am interested in new tires 285 70 16 some people say you only need the torch for the 285 75 16 some people, say you need it for both. I think it will be beneficial for somebody to put size by size what fits what doesnt??

·
on line
564 Posts
Give them a try and let us know how they fit!

Rob

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Up to 285 75 16s fit with only heat gun modifications to the fender wells. 265 75s fit with no modifications, and 255 85s need a little heat gun, since they're also 33s. I'm not aware of the size 285 70 16.

IMO 285 75s are a little wide for stock rims. I went to 8" rims (from stock 7) to run 285s. If you did want to go aftermarket rims, unfortunately very little is available in our odd size.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Seems like there are subtleties among the cars. Whereas one tire will fit one car without rubbing, on another car you might have to do some heat reshaping.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I live by Pro Comp and I ended up getting the number from 4 Wheel Parts and calling the dude who designs lots of their wheels. He says maybe sometime, but nothing specific is in the works. No wheel from Pro Comp will clear the calipers off the shelf, dependably, according to them. Some people have supposedly had things fit, but it's random. I'm running the Pro Comp forged alloys (which are very light and strong), and we needed 3/4" spacers--and some mild machining to clear the calipers.

This info. as of about two months ago, so unless something's changed...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
OK, here's what I know. MC on this site has MB Predators, 16x8s, that fit, but the correct size has been sold out for awhile. It's worth a call to the company.

There are some wheels on tirerack.com that they say will fit. As far as I know no one has tried them yet, but there's a thread about them here: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4331

Walker Evans and similar racing companies make 17" beadlocks (and look-alike "beadlocks" called streetlocks) that would be customized to fit, but they would be expensive and in my opinion too heavy. Other custom options are a possibility.

There are threads scattered throughout this site dealing with this problem. I just pulled out the stops looking for aftermarket 16x8" wheels and went with ProComp forged wheels that didn't clear the calipers, but could be made to fit with modificaitons.

Other than looks, the big reason for new rims is to upsize. 285 75 16 tires seat best on 16x8 wheels, while our stocks are 7". But unlike with most other vehicles, fitment is a huge problem for us because of the odd backspace and thus contact with the brake caliper.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
And just to be clear, they're almost certainly not going to have anything that fits, even at a specialty shop. You will have to use adapters/spacers (and there's been a debate here about safety, although many of us use them) or find one of the very few that fit, like the ones on tirerack.

Any new wheel that fits will be instantly posted here. The demand for wheels in this community is tremendous.

·
on line
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uhhhhhhhh those weels are awfull they are really bad :albino:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
It's 285 75 16s. And, actually you can run these tires on stock wheels if you want, although our stock wheels are a bit narrow for 285s. They work, they're just not ideal.

Plenty of people here run the 285 (11.5" or so) with stock wheels no problem, as far as I can tell.

People should check the "Swap Meet" section. Some MB Predators, 16x8, just went on sale--and these fit without spacers from what people have posted. I'd snap them up in a minute if I didn't already have new wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts