Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, So my rear axle bearings are making some noise so i ordered all my parts from courtesy. Does anyone have experience on this install? I checked the FSM and it states that everything needs to come off with a puller and pressed back in. I saw that for the m226 you can just tap them on with a length of pipe but am unsure if this is possible on the c200k. I have access to some pullers but any insight on the job would be greatly appreciated! Im pretty handy so hopefully i can do it myself because i would hate to have to pay a stealership. Thanks for the help, Paul :confused:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I don't have the c200 but with mine I needed a slide hammer and axle puller that fit the lugs. The axle puller I bought didn't fit so I had to take the cutoff wheel to it and make it fit. A regular jaw-type puller wont work (at least not on the m226) because there's nothing in the center to push against.

Once the axle's out you'll want lots and lots of shop towels to wipe it all down and get that stinky diff lube off.

I managed to drill off the race and hit it with a chisel but it was a bit of work. I suggest buying a quality drill bit for this - the one in my crap set went dull almost instantly. The outer bearing cage came off fairly easy with a 4" cutoff wheel but to get the rest of it off you'll need a smaller wheel.

I brought mine to a friendly machine shop and he got the rest of the bearing off and pressed the new one on for $20 (although most shops will charge way more). I believe he used a MAP torch to get the rest of the old parts off.

Take pictures of the oil seal and stuff to make sure you put the new parts on the right way. I can't see how there would be too much of a difference on the c200 since most rear axle bearings are pretty similar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts