Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so i have spent hours searching through the threads to find any info on my problem. I have a noise from the rear which at first i thought was tire noise, but there is no change from asphalt to concrete. I first noticed it a few months ago and it is getting progressivly worse.IT is constant from about 15 mph up to highway speeds and no change when going through turns so i dont think its the wheel bearings. I checked each and no movement whatsoever. It sounds somewhat high pitched like when a wheel bearing goes bad but no grinding. It is definetly speed sensitive and changes pitch. I cant imagine its the differential because i just changed the fluid 10k ago and everything looked great. Please help if anyone has any insight. Thanks! Paul :confused:

2005 S 4x4 AT with a c200k
125,000 miles
No mods

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well im just somewhat stumped on how i further diagnose it from here? I have all my parts for the wheel bearings from courtesy i was planning on replacing next week. Its confusing because any other time ive had a wheel bearing go bad the noise changes as i go through turns or swerve while driving. With my luck it is the pinion bearing because i have had just about every inherent problem with the x go bad on mine... I would just hate to waste the parts for the wheel bearings if it is the pinion bearing, and just put the money towards a whole rear assembly.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
do you have the diff breather mod????? if not could it be the oem breather stuck open/close causing some type of problem

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i put the x up on jack stands and kicked it in gear to find the noise and just as yaal said its the pinion bearing. I checked the fluid level and it was fine but as soon as i cracked open the diff cover plug i heard a pressure relief! Not good. I checked the breather and it was totally plugged up. So now my question is does anyone know what pinion bearing usually goes? Theres the front and a rear and i was tying to figure out if it is just the front, and if it can be replaced without ripping the gears out. Thanks Again!

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The axle seals currently are not leaking which i couldn't believe with how clogged it was. I already have all the parts for the wheel bearings because initially i thought that was the issue. Now if Im correct when my co workers and I do the pinion bearings once we pull the axle shafts out we will have to replace the seals, and to replace the seals I think ill have to also pull off the wheel bearings and replace them....This is going to be quite the project.....

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Well i put the x up on jack stands and kicked it in gear to find the noise and just as yaal said its the pinion bearing. I checked the fluid level and it was fine but as soon as i cracked open the diff cover plug i heard a pressure relief! Not good. I checked the breather and it was totally plugged up. So now my question is does anyone know what pinion bearing usually goes? Theres the front and a rear and i was tying to figure out if it is just the front, and if it can be replaced without ripping the gears out. Thanks Again!
To my knowledge you should replace both of them. I also think that you have to pull the gears to get to them but I could be wrong.
There is two bearings and a crush sleeve between them. The crush sleeve has to be replaced along with the bearings and then you torque everything back down. I really don't know for sure if you have to pull the gears but I am assuming so. You also have to make sure that you torque that pinion nut down correctly so that you get the correct preload set.

The axle seals currently are not leaking which i couldn't believe with how clogged it was. I already have all the parts for the wheel bearings because initially i thought that was the issue. Now if Im correct when my co workers and I do the pinion bearings once we pull the axle shafts out we will have to replace the seals, and to replace the seals I think ill have to also pull off the wheel bearings and replace them....This is going to be quite the project.....

And ya, you are right, it will be a pretty solid project! You are right on everything here that I can see.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help! I am pretty mechanically competent but differentials are a whole new beast to me, so luckily im stationed with two great mechanics who can help me out. Ill be sure to snap alot of pics along the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts