Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I recently had an oil change on my 2007 xterra and the people mentioned I was low on my anti freeze/coolant. (I typically checked levels every 100 miles or every two tanks of gas and nothing was abnormal before, no leak puddles in the garage nothing.) So in my head that doesn't make sense... it probably isn't leaking out somewhere outside the vehicle, then its must be SMODing.... for those of you that don't know about this great thing, it basically means that the tranny cooler leaks coolant into the tranny and ruins the tranny. The truck has 74000 miles on it and I guess i am asking for an opinion before I go into the dealership tommoorow. I bought the truck used with 40000 miles, and received all the paper work about the extended warranty to 80000 miles. here is a picture of what I believe is an over heated/stressed radiotor due to the decreased amount of coolant in the radiator that has leaked into the tranny...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1000 miles not 100... i figured since I bought a fairly newer vehicle i wouldn't have to nurse it like my old beaters.... but I think i was wrong...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
So why didn't you fix this when you posted about it back on November 2nd?

If you're within your warranty, Nissan should be doing all of the work for free to fix the SMOD issue, and if they don't at your dealership, it's time to call Nissan consumer affairs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Have you opened the radiator cap or checked the transmission dipstick for signs of contamination? That's going to tell you a whole lot more than any of us are from the internets.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
^ what MainerX and Killswitch said. The dealer popped the rad cap on my '05 and there was clearly a mixture happening evident by the reddish gunk on the cap.
Radiator, tranny and everything between replaced with brand new.
Why mess around either? If you have evidence of smod get it to the dealer and get it fixed under the warranty (class action lawsuit) before you get to 80k miles. Then it costs you a deductible. Before 80k it is free.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Yeah this whole thing seems like a no-brainer to me. You're saying you have option 1: take it to the dealer and have it fixed for free, or 2:?? wait around until you're past 80k and fix it yourself?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts