Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on the site for about 6 months now - ever since I bought my new 06 OR X and I've been steadily acquiring parts for a week long 'build' this week. I figured it was time to report in after my first day.

:cheers: HOLY COW! :cheers:
I can't beleive how much better it rides now. ok... getting ahead of myself. I picked up the Timbren Rear bumps, and Energy Suspension front bumps and those two items make a world of difference. Removed the rear bottoming-out problem and 'stiffened' the front end - which I'm was hoping for. The X is a little mushy in hard turns. Question - how important is it to shim to 1" clearance like the instructions say? Looks like I'd have to shim it A LOT...

And I got the parts for the rear-diff breather (into the tailight mod) and a set of Shrock Sliders (8 weeks for delivery - I thought I'd miss my week long build...) All of these are on, and I'll be doing pictures tomorrow in another post.

Also - Rear shackles, rear diff armor, and SS brake lines - all from AC. Those guys are ok - I didn't have any trouble and email responses were quick. Those are for tomorrow. The list is still long (front bump/winch, lights, etc) but that'll probably have to wait until spring. :drunken: $$ :drunken:

I would just like to express my thanks to everyone here for all of the information and life lessons - someone had to be first and try this stuff - and it is appreciated! I hope to contribute something worthy in the future.

btw - I can't seem to get the smile off my face - does it ever go away? :colors:

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Congrats Speedy! It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I think adjusting the bumpstops are a good idea if you do a lot of towing, otherwise it would be up to user preference.

The smile doesn't go away!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Welcome! Nice to see someone with enough patience to stock up on parts. I thought about doing that, so the end result would be just that much more exciting but I couldn't help myself.

·
on line
90 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I worked for the Germantown PD and lived in Collierville while I was getting my undergrad at University of Memphis.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
The bumpstops are going to work even better when they are trimmed to within 1 inch. There should be a spacer that was included, If not, Timbren dealer is to call Timbren and get it for you for free. A lot of places sell the kit (A Jeep Kit unless it has the spacer) and don't give you the spacer. You can also bring it down with a square stock of suitable gauge. Pictures in my how to. MC

·
on line
551 Posts
Welcome! :wave:
If it warms up here, I might get to doing a few of the cheaper ones first.
But kudo's to having a plan and getting it done.

·
TNX Administrator
20,493 Posts
:pirate: Ahoy, Matey! :newb: Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated to Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise to share what you learn! :3some:

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone...

For all the great words of encouragement and support. And nest wishes to those of you 'mid-mod' as it were.

USMC-X:
usmc xterra said:
The bumpstops are going to work even better when they are trimmed to within 1 inch. There should be a spacer that was included, If not, Timbren dealer is to call Timbren and get it for you for free. A lot of places sell the kit (A Jeep Kit unless it has the spacer) and don't give you the spacer. You can also bring it down with a square stock of suitable gauge. Pictures in my how to. MC
I have to admit that I've made a case study of all of your work - and everyone's comments! I'll re-read that install of yours and double check my setup today while doing the shackles. My kit is from Timbren, so it had the spacers. The paperwork says NOT to use the spacers with an X though. So I left them off. THen you flip it over, and it says to shim it.. :drunken: I may have to wait until I can get some square stock before I can shim it. I appreciate the explanation though.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Welcome to the club. :wave: Great that you have a plan and it's all coming into play. :cheers:

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the PICS!

Ok guys - split topic post (sorry!)

The thread with the meat is here:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=30728#30728

My humblest thank yous are here:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

and a heartfelt thanks to Dan G - whose post from 2004 made me chuckle. If I'm not mistaken, it took you days to get those shackles on, and it took me 1/2 hour. But it was because of you that mine worked so well. I finished up, sat back and chuckled. I am not worthy.... :geek:

And USMC - see the pics - I'm thinking I'm not going to bother shim-ming those timbrens yet. Not until I see some action - towing and stuff...

And to Bioman - gotta give credit wehre credit is due - it was your write-up that I followed for the breather mod. :flower:

Hope my work causes another poor soul to take the plunge like I did and get as much out of it as I am!

Thanks Guys.
Mike

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little background...

I though about it last night and thought maybe you would be interested in why I'm doing this build...

I travel a lot on the road. I spend at least one weekend a month in the woods. The better half and I like to explore and camp. We've never owned a vehicle that allowed all of that at the same time. Sure, my Stratus has more off-road miles than many a sedan, but does that really count? no. So I searched for almost a year for the perfect vehicle. The X was a last minute choice to test drive since I didn't really know too much about Nissan. Fell in love the moment I hit pavement.

We've got three teenagers (2 guys and 1 girls) and we've been active in the Boy Scouts since my 18 yr old was 8. Now that they are old enough to get adventurous, my wife and I are willing to go to some extremes to get them there - at least the two younger ones - the older one has a girlfriend :cat: now... I'll never see him again... :drunken: :bom:

So that's why... Not that there are many great places around here like Moab, or such and such canyon, but we have some good OHV parks and plenty of river bottoms to explore. So we're going to do that this year - and more - and a lot of it.

Mike

·
on line
384 Posts
Re: A little background...

speedy_parker said:
...my Stratus has more off-road miles than many a sedan...
LOL! I have an Intrepid like that! And we bought our Xterra for the same reason - we got frustrated by having to turn around before the adventure really got interesting.

Welcome!!!!!!!

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Off-Road Sedan!

They guys I do Scouting with always laughed at me. I'd come truckin' through the woods in my Stratus. They all had big trucks. LOL! Then it happened - a 350 dually 4x2 got stuck in a grassy/muddy field. So I took out my $10 Home Depot Rope, hooked it up with a couple of $4 carabiners (to his hitch and my FRONT tow hook) and towed him off the grass, backwards (I was in reverse!).

He'll never live it down, and my Stratus has a special parking space at the local camp. Now that my son drives it, it doesn't see the dirt as much, but he promises me it will every once in a while. :thumbup:

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Re: Off-Road Sedan!

speedy_parker said:
They guys I do Scouting with always laughed at me. I'd come truckin' through the woods in my Stratus. They all had big trucks. LOL! Then it happened - a 350 dually 4x2 got stuck in a grassy/muddy field. So I took out my $10 Home Depot Rope, hooked it up with a couple of $4 carabiners (to his hitch and my FRONT tow hook) and towed him off the grass, backwards (I was in reverse!).

He'll never live it down, and my Stratus has a special parking space at the local camp. Now that my son drives it, it doesn't see the dirt as much, but he promises me it will every once in a while. :thumbup:
We had a Stratus rental in Oct. out in Utah and went up Payson canyon until we started hitting shaded bends that left the road covered in ice/snow... VERY SCARY... felt like the steering wheel wasn't hooked to the steering column. I told my wife "it's a rental, who cares!", but her wisdom won out and we turned around.

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe it was newer one...

Maybe you're rental was a newer one. I've never driven the newer ones.

My stratus was a '99 and hugs the pavement even to this day - and has even been through I couple of Ice storms... Now, I grew up in Jersey learning how to drive properly... :blackeye: My son drives it now, 165k miles and all original equip - even the battery. Don't ask me how, just love and tender care i guess! :clown:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts