Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbe to xterra, could some one please educate me. Looking to purchase a '08 and flat tow (all wheels on the ground) behind a motor home. Some one said I must get a manual transmission. Is there no neutral in the xterra transfer case? And now for the real dumb question .... if you were to tow a six speed with the tranny in neutral, I'm assuming the speedo gear is turning also, racking up mileage. Does anybody else tow their xterra?

thanks for the education

·
on line
1,361 Posts
There is not a neutral in the transfer case that I am aware of. My little knob does not have a spot for N :geek:

The rest I can not help on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There is no speedo gear, so no, no racking up miles, but I am sure the X will not enjoy being flat towed.

Here is the owners manual. It does not say anything specifically about flat towing, but it does state if you have to tow with the drive wheels on the ground to remove the drive shaft if you are traveling over 500 miles.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/xterra/2005/2005-Nissan-xterra.pdf

In short, I don't think flat towing a new X is a good idea.

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the 500 mile limit is a problem. Since my wife does not want to drive, 300 miles a day is my limit.

I'm not sure what starting the motor has to do with the 500 mile interval. Please understand I have limited mechanical abilities, but if the transmission is in neutral, aren't you just spinning the input shaft to the tranny? How does this lube the tranny output bearings or the transfer case etc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts