Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Yesterday I was trying to replace my sway bar links. Once I got my wheel lifted, I noticed there was some play in it moving in and out a bit.
When I checked online, people are saying this indicates that the wheel bearing is going out.
The problem with that is that the truck had a new hub/wheel bearing assembly put in less than a thousand miles ago.

Is there anything else that this could be? If so, how do I check?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either wheel bearings or ball joints. Have a buddy wiggle the wheel and see what has plat.
So when wiggling the wheel, the only movement I can see is a bit in the cv joint. Nothing in the ball joints.
I can get the same movement in the joint if I take the wheel off and move the rotor up and down a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either wheel bearings or ball joints. Have a buddy wiggle the wheel and see what has plat.
Alright, the more I think I'm looking at it and thinking about what the truck is doing, the more it seems to me like it has to be the wheel bearings. The thing is, the hub assembly was replaced less than two thousand miles ago. Is there any way I can replace the bearings without redoing the hub assembly? Or is there something the bearings could be doing that I could fix without replacing anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a one piece unit. Nothing worth fixing inside. Just buy the Timkin brand hubs for both sides and be done with it.
Well, decided to take the wheel and rotor and all off to check out the hub to see how it looked, and it's missing the two lower bolts holding it in. That's where the play seems to be coming from, is the fact that there's nothing holding it on the lower end so it can move around a bit.

·
TNX Veteran
3,996 Posts
Well, decided to take the wheel and rotor and all off to check out the hub to see how it looked, and it's missing the two lower bolts holding it in. That's where the play seems to be coming from, is the fact that there's nothing holding it on the lower end so it can move around a bit.

Dear God! That's scary as hell!

Replace the hub. And this time, use lock-tite. You may have also ruined the spindle. The hub is press fit, and shouldn't move at all. My guess is the mounting hole, and the bolt holes are elongated, and likely not safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear God! That's scary as hell!

Replace the hub. And this time, use lock-tite. You may have also ruined the spindle. The hub is press fit, and shouldn't move at all. My guess is the mounting hole, and the bolt holes are elongated, and likely not safe.
The guy I bought it from replaced it, and I think he may have rushed through it and not tightened things correctly. Will look into doing that, thanks!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
To the experienced ones, what is the correct procedure? Tighten with a torque wrench and then re-check after a few miles?

·
TNX Veteran
3,996 Posts
These aren't U-bolts, they don't stretch. Replace the hub, put some blue or red lock-tite (depending on how much you wanna fight if you have to do it again) on the 4 bolts and torque them. (Check the FSM for torque spec)

Obviously the dude who put it on, screwed the pooch, and I'd be scared to see what else they "worked on".

The OP is lucky he didn't lose the wheel or worse while driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts