Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So PlasticOne talked me into trying Plasti-Dips new Anthracite Gray, it's part of their new metallics line, they also make aluminum and gold.

My rims, only 1.5 years old, have started to oxidize under the clear coat. They look like earthworms are eating the surface. I decided to try plastidip since its reversible, if I hated the look, I would try to salvage the rims by blasting the clear coat and refinishing, major PIA..

I wanted to do this color for something different. I did 5-6 coats and 3 costs of "glossifier", plastidips version of a clear coat. I ordered 5 cans of the gray and 2 of the glossifier, but could have easily completed it with 4 and 1, respectively.

Couple prep things to keep in mind. They suggest treating your tires with Tire Shine, the plastidip doesn't bind with it so it is easier to remove. Clean your rims thoroughly. I opted to paint them still on the truck, so pull forward and back a couple feet between coats so you don't miss anything. And lastly, use plastic trash bags to put over and around the brakes and discs.

Before-

Put the bag in through an opening and then fish around from the back-

The paint-

First coat on first rim for comparison-

About 3 coats in

Removing the over spray. For whatever doesn't peel up in one piece, I found using a stiff scrub brush worked great

Final product, note the difference in color compared to the 3 coats

Finished shots

All in all, happy with the way they turned out. The cans sprayed great, hardly any spitting or clogging, night and day compared to bed liner. I'll try to post some more pics later with them being in direct sunlight, the metallic flecks stand out more.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Looks great! I am a fan of gunmetal. My wheels need a fresh coat and I might do this instead of paint...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.
Their metallics line is pretty new, so if you want any of them your best bet is ordering through their website.

In looking back at my pics, I actually liked the look at 3 coats because it had more of a two tone look to it since the brushed aluminum wasnt completely covered yet, compared to the final pics.... So now I'm thinking of getting a couple cans of their aluminum, hitting them with that, then doing one coat of the anthracite again, lol thoughts?

Or am I just being way too OCD about this?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think they look good they way they are. Do they match the plastics pretty well? They look like the do.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I actually hit the emblems with it too to tone them down

This color is starting to grow on me, but I have 4 cans a quarter full, and one full can leftover so I might be trying some blending with their aluminum after watching all the YouTube videos...:drunken:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I've never been a fan of chrome on the X, I think the grey you did looks sick. Good work!!

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
it looks good, but i'd be pissed if my 1.5yr old rims were oxidizing like that.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Yeah, I tried to contact "American Outlaw" which is an offshoot of Liquid Metal, who's only contact info is a mailing address on their web page. To be honest, after all the crap i went through looking for rims that would actually fit our truck, I dont feel like shopping for them again, even if I could get a full refund, which I highly doubt, I'd still have to pay someone $150 to mount and balance them. Plus if I demanded a new set of the same rims I see them degrading as well, so I said screw it

1 - 20 of 45 Posts