Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can be done about the oxidation of the black plastic pieces on the exterior?

The Texas sun has wreaked havoc.

And no ... I haven't used Armor All.

Craig C.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Most people paint. There are plastic restoration products out there (such as Meguiar's, which uses a first gen X on its labels). There is also a technique where you very gently melt the plastic with the torch. Most techniques don't seem to last long - they tend to be surface treatments rather than penetrating product.

If you have a really big old tub you don't care about, you can even dye the plastics.

I haven't done any resto myself, since my plastics are painted.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
That Aerospace Protectorant stuff is supposed to help too. Search amazon and you'll find some options.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was considering plastidipping my exterior plastic. It's convenient since you can just pull a rattlecan to fix chips or peeling. Has anyone done this without sanding first?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I was considering plastidipping my exterior plastic. It's convenient since you can just pull a rattlecan to fix chips or peeling. Has anyone done this without sanding first?
Yep. Sticks to whatever you spray it on. Although you'll need a bit more than a rattlecan, as it's not easy/pretty to fill in holes (there is a product that re-liquifies Dip for better patching though).

285 Posts
That Aerospace Protectorant stuff is supposed to help too. Search amazon and you'll find some options.
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Works great. Lasts long. Price may seem steep, but a bottle last a LONG time. A little bit goes far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just sprayed by oxidizing plastic pieces black. Looks great and isn't really that difficult.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts