Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Are there any places of interest between Las Vegas and Reno? I am hoping to see something along route 95. Ghost towns, historic marks, etc. Also, is there anything around Reno worth seeing?

Thanks,
/v

·
on line
1,792 Posts
vman said:
Hi guys,

Are there any places of interest between Las Vegas and Reno? I am hoping to see something along route 95. Ghost towns, historic marks, etc. Also, is there anything around Reno worth seeing?

Thanks,
/v
Get a Nevada Atlas and Gazeteer online before you go. There are tons of 4WD trails. And Reno is the gateway to an amazing section of the Eastern Sierras. It's all very near California as well time permitting. Check out Backcountry Adventures by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson for Northern California. It all depends how much time you have, but you could wheel, hike, whatever for weeks along the corridor you're describing. I've just begun to explore the area. And I bet there are some 4WD oriented books specifically about Nevada that I haven't run across yet. Vegas vicinity trails are legendary, some in AZ (there's a Backcountry Adventures for AZ too) and some in NV.

West of Beatty you're in Eastern Death Valley NP, and Tonopah to the north is a classic Western town with south-north vehicle trails into the wilderness on the highway east of town. The biggest one or two are on the Rand McNally.

In general, an incredible area.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old Navy said:
Well you could also try this, but you may not be able to get in. They are kind of picky who they let in;
http://www.fas.org/irp/overhead/groom.htm
Very funny : )

I have explored the area around Beatty and Tonopah is on my list to visit as well. I am going to be solo this time, so going on remote trails is not something that I would like to do, but if there are any interesting ghost towns mentioned in those books, I would not mind visiting them.

D-rap, I am interested in exploring Nevada as well. It seems that it is much less crowded than CA and the number of historic sites make the drive worthwhile. If you're in for an excursion some time this fall, please let me know :)

/v

·
on line
652 Posts
he man there are a few of us here in vegas that wheel every wknd. We are also up for some hiking and exploring let me know where you are thnking about and i will foreward this to my friends they know the areas pretty well

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Old Navy said:
Well you could also try this, but you may not be able to get in. They are kind of picky who they let in;
http://www.fas.org/irp/overhead/groom.htm
Oh, that's funny. I was going to suggest the same thing. Some buddies and I drove from Oregon to Vegas (through Reno) a couple years back. We found some directions on the internet and drove down groom lake rd to the entrance.

It was a wierd experience. Groom lake road is wide enough to get some big @ss trucks down it. Then you'll get to the signs that say "Property of U.S Government," "Deadly force authorized if you cross this line," "No Photos," etc, etc. There was a brand new Chevy Tahoe up on a lookout point, obviously private security. We looked at it through binoculars, only to see them looking right back at us with binoculars.

They didn't get too particular about us taking photos. I'm guessing it happens every day. Just as we were leaving somebody else came in to check it out.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cjm_specv said:
mike100 said:
You could try to hit up all the houses of ill-repute. Be sure to report back.
That would make for one hell of road trip!
Yeah, I guess that would take care of my wedding plans too :)

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Well, the way I look at it, it's desert, more desert, hey look desert

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the drive was a blast. I took the following route from Vegas to Reno:

Places to see:

Tonopah
Virginia City
Beatty

Of course, you will have the towns mentioned above unless you love Americana and history of the West. I am definitely going back to explore Western Nevada again. Tons of visible trails and ghost towns or places that are no longer inhabited. As for brothels, I came across 2 of them on my way to Reno. I don't know if you can classify several trailers glued together as an establishment, but those palaces of love looked so scary, I did not even think of stopping by.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
vman said:
D-rap, I am interested in exploring Nevada as well. It seems that it is much less crowded than CA and the number of historic sites make the drive worthwhile. If you're in for an excursion some time this fall, please let me know :)
I missed this. Sounds great. Let me know. I'd be very much up for a NV run.

Glad to hear the trip went well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts