Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, and I wanted to know if someone has had experience with navi.Right now I'm looking at the kenwood and Pioneer.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1ydv4rGNY9L/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182350&I=130AVICD3

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1ydv4rGNY9L/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182350&I=700NAV6019

I read somewhere where one of them you have to put the car in park before you set coordinates for the navi. I think this is rediculous

I really don't car about the movie aspect of it, so I'm just trying to see if anyone had any experience with either one

·
on line
331 Posts
Having to put the car in park is a liabilty thing for the company's however if you poke around the interent you will find that most of these systems are easily overidden to work while you are driving.

·
on line
106 Posts
You have to put the car in park to watch a movie but you can bypass that. I like the look of the kenwood it is much cleaner.

·
on line
366 Posts
Hmm, they look pretty similar. I have the D3, but the kenwood has a few extra features that would be nice.

One thing I like is the << and >> buttons and volume knob on the D3. It's easy to use them without looking at the unit. Not sure how easy it would be to find the volume controls on the kenwood without taking your eyes off the road.

As far as using video/nav on the D3 while it's moving, it's ridiculously easy to bypass it. Took me about 30 seconds to pull a pin out of the harness and plug it in another spot. I'd check and see how easy it will be to bypass the kenwood before you decide which one you want.

·
on line
776 Posts
nav

PIONEER ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you love audio as much as I, you will agree that Pioneer has the most USEFUL audio options available...

I have an eclipse, Great unit, but is very lacking of audio options!

·
on line
776 Posts
mcampana said:
What do you guys think of the Excelon?
Hey Mark. I hear the excelon series from kenwood is some nice stuff, I just prefer pioneer for ease of use & functionality that you can actually use (If youre not an audiophile!)...

·
on line
152 Posts
ive always liked Kenwood

no real reason though, kind of the same reason i drive a Nissan rather that a Toyota though, Ive always had em, and ive always liked so no reason to switch, pride maybe?

at the end of the day they are both great... comes down to personal preference. if you listen to someone else you wont be satisfied

·
on line
44 Posts
i have the ddx8019 with the nav and love it. just connect the parking swith on the radio and nav to the ground and your set. I've always had the excelon serious of kenwoods and loved them. one thing i liked about the g510 is that you don't need to hook it up to the speed sensor wire to get it working. just run the gps antenna to the roof and your set. if you have any questions i'll be happy to answer them for you.

Jeff

·
on line
2,077 Posts
mcampana said:
What do you guys think of the Excelon?

i have a 10 disc excelon cd changer in my X, i've had the thing for about 4 years now, works great. I also have a 6 year old 600 watt kenwood amp for my subs, and a 4 year old music keg kenwood makes. they are all great products, no issues with any of them. I would highly recommend kenwood products to anyone.

I have heard some pretty good things about pioneer thou, so i would say it's a toss up with out actually playing with the products to compare them.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i have the ddx-6019 w/ nav and i love it. Someone said something about the volume up/down buttons. They are the pair of buttons located on the bottom left of the unit. after about a week, you won't need to look at the unit to adjust.

To bypass the parking brake lead, just ground that wire. Simple!

·
on line
45 Posts
So what about the screen visibility in the sun? Do you find it problematic?

regards,
Marty

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
XterraAltius2 said:
So what about the screen visibility in the sun? Do you find it problematic?

regards,
Marty
Actually, it isn't too bad. The screen adjusts back and forth and i have it at an almost vertical to leaning forward slant. The screen is bright. I took that picture in my driveway in the sun. It DOES help that i have my windows tinted pretty dark in the back, tinted med dark on the sides, and have a sunscreen tinted on the windshield.

Unless i am watching a movie (which i DON'T do when driving), i use the remote most of the time. That means i don't really look at the screen very much. Even the navigation tells me what turn is coming up next.

·
on line
1 Posts
Both units are very good. The one important difference is the Pioneer requires the Nav CD inserted to enter info or change info. If the CD gets scratched, out of luck with Nav, and expensive to replace. The Kenwood on the other hand is either built in or in a seperate unit that requires no CD. And yes, either can be wired to bypass the "only in park" restrictions, which by the way I found out its easier to do on the Kenwood. The Kenwood 7100 is also up to date with the latest Nav information. The Pioneer Nav info is 2006, but you can change the color of the controls to match the X.

Hope this helped and didn't make things harder!

·
on line
500 Posts
ridge runner x said:
Hey Mark. I hear the excelon series from kenwood is some nice stuff, I just prefer pioneer for ease of use & functionality that you can actually use (If youre not an audiophile!)...
What would you recommend if one is afflicted with the audiophool where-did-all-money go disease?

I'm looking for a DD GPS with great sound. DVD quality is the least important feature. I'm buying a Garmin Zumo (450 or 550 I can't decide), so maybe I just need a quality head unit and forget the GPS fuctionality. I've always thought Onkyo was the best bang for the buck of the Japanese audio stuff.

Any and all Audiophile recommendation requested.
Patrick

PS Sorry for the High Jack!

·
on line
45 Posts
Well, I just got the Pioneer D3 into my car, and I have been quite impressed with the audio controls, which seem to work beautifully, and give you a really good tool to "tune" the sound setup. The NAVI is really nice too. Not being a total audiophile I play most of my music thru the iPod and the Pioneer interface is really nice with a few small quirks.

YMMV

Marty

·
on line
185 Posts
I have the Pioneer AVIC-D3 as well. The head unit sounds awesome. The NAVI works perfectly. I would recommend getting the iPOD cable with the unit. You store all your songs on the iPOD. No need to use the CD slot. Your NAVI DVD can stay in there. If you really need your CD slot for a CD or DVD while on the road, you can program your route and it will load the route info onto memory and allow you to use your CD slot. Again, if you use a iPOD, you won't need the CD slot.

I also did the parking brake bypass, which will allow my PASSENGERS to watch a DVD while the truck is in motion. :)

·
on line
28 Posts
i just purchased the kenwood dnx 7100. if you go w/ kenwood, I would recommend you upgrade to this instead. got mine on ebay for only 950 w/ shipping. i did some research before i purchased this and the kenwood dnx 7100 was a clear winner. it's a single unit. hdd base navi, play ipod music and video(i heard out of all the unit, kenwood has the best control w/ ipod), garmin navi, easy to update w/ a sd card, has usb port, bigger screen than the pioneer(6.95 vs 6.1). hopefully i can get the unit in this week and get it installed soon. I will post more update later once i do that. hope this info help you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts