Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

can u guys please post your pics of your NAV installed?

also,
1. Did u have to buy a trim/installation kit in order to install and flush mount?? what obsticles during installation.

2. also, where is best to buy?? ive found that google product search finds that a web site called eCrater.com has the d3 for $491.00, is that a good site? anyone here buy from them?

i plan on bypassing, ive found all the threads on that so im not to worried on doing it.

thanks so much....
- jason

·
on line
331 Posts

Eclipse AVN 5435

Without a trim piece you will have a gap at the top or bottom.

That is a great price for the D3, but sounds a little to good to be true.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
x67934 said:

Eclipse AVN 5435

Without a trim piece you will have a gap at the top or bottom.

That is a great price for the D3, but sounds a little to good to be true.
Does your 5435 allow nav and dvd at the same time....

im trying to find a unit that has two dvd slots. one that is dedicated NAV and the other allows you to play CD's while navigating.

from what i understand the AVIC-D3 only has one slot too...so that bites!!!

so far only the AVN6610 does this????

any other suggestions.

- Jason

·
on line
46 Posts
get an avic Z2 - my avic z1 has a hard drive - stores cd's or plays cd's while your using nav - I'll have to check if there is a trim ring but looks totally "stock" the way it sits

·
on line
366 Posts
Yeah, the Z2 is good if you want to nav with a video playing. It's a bit pricier though.

I haven't tried it myself, but apparently once you program the route in the Avic-d3 you can take the map DVD out. Unless you deviate from the route, it should work ok.

·
on line
185 Posts
mudpuppy000 said:
I haven't tried it myself, but apparently once you program the route in the Avic-d3 you can take the map DVD out. Unless you deviate from the route, it should work ok.
That's correct. I've tried with my D3 and it works just fine.

But, the best thing to do is to get an iPod interface and load your music/video collection on the iPod. I've had the D3 for close to 6 months and I've yet to remove the Nav DVD.

·
on line
60 Posts
i have the D3 and i like it. it sucks when you want to watch a dvd and need the navi at the same time. so it's navi and the radio, or dvd and alot of guessing. i should've bought the z2 but it was a little out of my price range. i'll keep the D3 for a lil while longer and then upgrade.

·
on line
366 Posts
hunter0389 said:
But, the best thing to do is to get an iPod interface and load your music/video collection on the iPod. I've had the D3 for close to 6 months and I've yet to remove the Nav DVD.
Not to derail the thread, but how exactly do you get the ipod videos to play on the D3. Do you need to connect the video cable to the front input, or does it all go through the dock connector?

·
on line
185 Posts
mudpuppy000 said:
hunter0389 said:
Not to derail the thread, but how exactly do you get the ipod videos to play on the D3. Do you need to connect the video cable to the front input, or does it all go through the dock connector?
No, it plays through the same interface. Just set your iPod video output to TV out.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I've been looking at a In Dash Nav system for awhile. I looked at the D3 and didn't like the single dvd slot which leaves the options of nav and radio or dvd and guessing. I also have been looking at the Kenwood DNX7100, it has a 2 gig hd for navigation so a cd is still an option.

·
on line
331 Posts
i have a nav slot and a cd slot. So cds and nav works at the same time, but to play dvds you have to have the nav disc out.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Im not positive but if you look on clubfrontier.org in the stereo section, you can buy the D3, N3, or Z2 all for a pretty good price. I think one of the members is an authorized dealer.

·
on line
185 Posts
I don't know how many of you are "power Nav users". So, I can only speak on my personal experience. I live in Southern California all my life. It is safe to say to I am pretty familiar with the area. 99% of my driving involves going to the office, shopping, and visiting friends and family. I don't need a Nav to tell me where to go. The Nav is like car insurance to me. It is nice to have when I do need it.

Of the six months that I have had it, I went on two long trips. One was to Las Vegas, and the other to Northern California. I am fairly familiar with Vegas, and I didn't even use the Nav. The Nav was pretty useful for the Northern California trip. But, I didn't use it until we hit the city limit. Why would I need the Nav to tell to stay on the 5 freeway for the next 5 hours?

With the iPod, my Nav DVD stays in the slot. Occasionally, my passengers would want to watch a DVD. But, how often does that happen? And you can still have the Nav when the DVD is playing. All you have to do is put in your route. Your route info will stay in memory. You can remove the Nav disc and play all the DVD/CD you want.

So, for you guys who are considering the D3, don't let the single DVD slot discourage you. But, if you're the type who must have the Nav on every time you get into the X, and you don't have or want to get the iPod, then the D3 may not be for you. Get the Z2 or similar HU with a HDD.

When I was researching the D3, the Z2 was $1000 more. I spent the extra grand on after speakers and amps. See my signature.

·
on line
366 Posts
hunter0389 said:
Why would I need the Nav to tell to stay on the 5 freeway for the next 5 hours?
You mean you don't like the nav's sexy voice muting the audio at EVERY freeway interesection, telling you to stay on the same freeway? lol

I actually find it somewhat irritating on long trips, if you have a decent idea of where you're going. It is quite handy finding addresses on surface streets though. I mainly bought it as a replacement for the stock stereo, and to be able to control the ipod well. The DVD playback and NAV features are just nice bonuses.

·
on line
185 Posts
mudpuppy000 said:
You mean you don't like the nav's sexy voice muting the audio at EVERY freeway interesection, telling you to stay on the same freeway? lol
Totally annoying. You can turn off the guidance voice though. But, I think it is that sexy voice that makes people turn on the Nav even if they know where they are going. LOL.

·
on line
366 Posts
Haha, yeah. I don't mind the voice that much, just that it mutes the music. I think you can turn off the muting function, I'll have to test that out to see if that's less irritating.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all you guys that actually have the D3 did you have to buy any install kit so that it can install in the X with no gaps, etc????

thanks for all the great info guys!

- j

·
on line
366 Posts
I bought one from crutchfield, but didn't install it (yet). There's only a tiny gap at the bottom of the unit, so it's not a huge deal for me.

I'd highly recommend getting a wiring harness from crutchfield or wherever, it made things soooo easy. You just wire everything up from the harness to the D3 in your living room or wherever, then when you go to install it, you just unplug the factory radio, and plug the D3 into the factory harness. The only other wire you have to hook up is the ground (and the antennas, etc)

·
on line
185 Posts
There is no install kit for the D3, unless you're talking about the wire harness. It uses the factory brackets. The face plate that comes with the D3 is a little bigger so there is a really tiny gap, not enough to bother me. If you get it professionally installed, I am sure the shop can make a face plate for you.

·
on line
185 Posts
I went out and took some pics. Sorry about the lousy way that they turned out. I had the camera too close to the D3. It was raining dogs and cats and I didn't feel like redoing it again. :geek:

At any rate, here is the 80gig iPod. It sits in the glove box. I don't disconnect it unless I have to load more music/video. When the D3 is off, the iPod turns off as well so it doesn't drain the X's battery. When the D3 is on, it charges the iPod's battery.

Here is iPod controls on the D3. 80gigs of music/video at your fingertip. Why would you guys want to mess with CDs?

Bluetooth wireless phone interface. It works well with my Moto RAZR.

Music video playing through the iPod

EQ's - Five factory presets and two customs.

Sound processors

Color setting. You can dial in any color you want.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts