Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I personally like Eclipse, but have had a lot of friends with Pioneer and have heard no complaints. The Eclipse tends to be a little more expensive too.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well im not absolutely sure or not but if it only says DVD rom it wont play regular DVD's. Mine is the AVIC-D3 and it says DVD video/rom, so it plays movied too. I think the DVD rom is just so it can read the navigation DVD's that come with it.

Other than that im sure its a great unit!

·
on line
844 Posts
I just put the kenwood DDX8017 in mine and that thing is friggin awesome. I installed it in under an hour too. really easy to bypass the parking brake sensor, just ground it, the AVIC's are notoriously a PITA to bypass.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
I have the Kenwood ddx6019 with the garmin kna-g510 nav package. I love it. I will try to get some pics on here soon.

Like dragonplayboy said, all you have to do is ground the parking break sensor and it plays dvd's. Got mine off ebay for $1100.

·
on line
34 Posts
If the D2 is anything like current Pioneers (not sure if it is). simply grounding the sensor won't cut it. The new Pioneers expect to see an on-off-on of the parking brake light singal (i.e., even if you're already stopped, you would still need to release parking brake and engage it again to get the DVD display to show a picture). To get around this, you would need to install a toggle switch inline of the wire going to ground. A flick of the switch off and then back to on (mimicking the release and re-engagement of the parking brake) is then all it takes.

·
on line
58 Posts
Indash HU

quasi888 said:
If the D2 is anything like current Pioneers (not sure if it is). simply grounding the sensor won't cut it. The new Pioneers expect to see an on-off-on of the parking brake light singal (i.e., even if you're already stopped, you would still need to release parking brake and engage it again to get the DVD display to show a picture). To get around this, you would need to install a toggle switch inline of the wire going to ground. A flick of the switch off and then back to on (mimicking the release and re-engagement of the parking brake) is then all it takes.
all the AVIC units have a giro inside them...when they sense movement it cuts off DVD and navigation to the screen (ultra stupid) you can bypass that but it involves making the giro not move by opening up the headunit case---voiding warrenty---working in the car audio business and installing Eclipe, JL, Alpine, JVC, Clarion. Eclipse is the way to go they have the best sound, pre-outs as well as good navigation. You just have to decide if you want navi, if your going to do ipod integration, bluetooth, hook up extra screens, as well as SAT radio...your needs will find you the screen that will work best.

·
on line
42 Posts
I'm going with the Kenwood. Have the DVD player and TV tuner... gotta pick up the NAV module and then add the undercarriage cam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts