·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nice, did you do the install yourself?? How time consuming, tedious is it?

Thanks for the input!

I don't have any experience with the one you're looking at but i went with the SONY XAV-63 and love it. At 350 it's a steal.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't have any experience with the one you're looking at but i went with the SONY XAV-63 and love it. At 350 it's a steal.

The touch screen is great , works even with gloves on. the Bluetooth syncs up with my phone automatically and starts stream Pandora pretty much right away. If i get a call. it switches over automatically and the sound quality both ways is great. The USB in the front is a big plus if you're out of range and want to play off of a memory stick. i use it a lot when I'm camping .

Install was a breeze. no matter what radio you buy or who you buy it from , get the install kit from Cruchfield Their research team and kits are second to non

the only gripe i can think of is alot of people complain about the Serious interface being too small. i don't have Serious so it's a non issue for me

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Nice, did you do the install yourself?? How time consuming, tedious is it?

Thanks for the input!
Install was breeze cruchfield even had video of how to take you dash apart . easiest install i've ever done.

it's set up for a back up cam but doesn't come with one . you can get one on ebay for about $15. i would recommend it . it's just nice to have

total time for my install was about 3 hrs but i replaced every speaker in the truck and added a sub in the trunk. radio alone would take about 45min if you were taking your time as an amateur installer. ( which i am)

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
ive got the 8500, i pulled out my appradio2 because i wanted more options, so far i really enjoy it, i used the same harness from crutchfield, and added xm radio. the pioneer requires a similar device for the ebrake bypass, purchased on amazon and shipped fast. i like that the cd and memory card slots are behind the screen so they dont get dirty and take up real estate. the detachable face is a nice feature. the touch screen works very well. my only gripe is i wish the screen tilted forward since the x dash is angled away already.

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive got the 8500, i pulled out my appradio2 because i wanted more options, so far i really enjoy it, i used the same harness from crutchfield, and added xm radio. the pioneer requires a similar device for the ebrake bypass, purchased on amazon and shipped fast. i like that the cd and memory card slots are behind the screen so they dont get dirty and take up real estate. the detachable face is a nice feature. the touch screen works very well. my only gripe is i wish the screen tilted forward since the x dash is angled away already.
Did you do the install yourself?? How long, any gripes, headaches, squawks?

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for blowing up your thread but you will want one of these to if you want to use the radio with out the e brake on. they are all like that for "safety" reasons . it's a pain in the ass if you ask me . this is a simple by pass for that safety

ebay.com/itm/ALL-SONY-PARKING-BRAKE-VIDEO-BYPASS-
Thanks El!! If I end up going with a Sony, I will definitely look at this one... appreciate your input!

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
yea i did it myself, i had ordered my previous pioneer appradio2 from crutchfield, and i was able to reuse everything that they include from that install. i reused the harness, steering controls adapter, and e brake bypass. i also reused the android mhl adapter that was used on my appradio2 and it works well with the new 8500 using arliberator i can use the touchscreen to control my phone. bluetooth phone works great, just have to work on the microphone placement, maybe try some insulation around it to cut down on the wind noise.

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i did it myself, i had ordered my previous pioneer appradio2 from crutchfield, and i was able to reuse everything that they include from that install. i reused the harness, steering controls adapter, and e brake bypass. i also reused the android mhl adapter that was used on my appradio2 and it works well with the new 8500 using arliberator i can use the touchscreen to control my phone. bluetooth phone works great, just have to work on the microphone placement, maybe try some insulation around it to cut down on the wind noise.
What does the E- brake bypass do exactly? Is that for the ability to use the dvds while in drive? Where do you have the bluetooth mic placed? Also, can you display your Google Maps gps nav on the display?

Thanks for the input! !
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
yes the ebrake bypass allows you to access appmode and other features while driving.

i placed my microphone where the factory microphone was, in the sunglass holder, it works well when driving under 40mph, but over that, the windnoise is bad, but its the same with the factory bluetooth microphone so im going to try and put some insulation around the microphone to see if that helps.

yes this radio allows you to connect your android or iphone, for my android phone, i only needed a mhl adapter and plugged into the hdmi port on the back. I cant speak for iphones as i dont own one, but using my galaxy nexus and arliberator, i have full control over my phone with the radio's touch screen, i use google maps for navigation, torque pro for engine guages.

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes the ebrake bypass allows you to access appmode and other features while driving.

Nice, good info to know! I'm not the most tech say or mechanically inclined so I'm not sure I should take this on my own lol. YouTube videos and How-to's seem straight forward but I still don't know if I can trust myself lol
i placed my microphone where the factory microphone was, in the sunglass holder, it works well when driving under 40mph, but over that, the windnoise is bad, but its the same with the factory bluetooth microphone so im going to try and put some insulation around the microphone to see if that helps.

yes this radio allows you to connect your android or iphone, for my android phone, i only needed a mhl adapter and plugged into the hdmi port on the back. I cant speak for iphones as i dont own one, but using my galaxy nexus and arliberator, i have full control over my phone with the radio's touch screen, i use google maps for navigation, torque pro for engine guages.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Just curious if anyone here has any firsthand experience with this model or similar and what their opinions are on quality, learning curve, install, gripes and bitches?

Thanks!

Seth

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B8DRG9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BS4FYC05P40J
Thats what I have in mine, its a good HU. The audio presets sound horrible so you have to custom tune it. The interface takes some getting used to, Pioneer doesn't really explain anything so you'll need to do a lot of youtube searches. Appradio is largely worthless and constantly disconnects, you have to do a workaround to play audio and navigation at the same time and the audio quality drops significantly. I would get a cheaper unit with a backup cam if I did it again. I can't say this one is worth the money.

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what I have in mine, its a good HU. The audio presets sound horrible so you have to custom tune it. The interface takes some getting used to, Pioneer doesn't really explain anything so you'll need to do a lot of youtube searches. Appradio is largely worthless and constantly disconnects, you have to do a workaround to play audio and navigation at the same time and the audio quality drops significantly. I would get a cheaper unit with a backup cam if I did it again. I can't say this one is worth the money.
Good to know! Well darn.... not sure what I want now lol

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
i guess i never found any of the features that hard to figure out, never had to watch a video on how to use anything. i also have no issues with appmode, always connects and stays connected, and mixing the phone audio(nav instructions, music) with the radio or xm is a quick setting change if you use the favorites tab. maybe it works and sounds better because i have the RF system :rockin:

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i guess i never found any of the features that hard to figure out, never had to watch a video on how to use anything. i also have no issues with appmode, always connects and stays connected, and mixing the phone audio(nav instructions, music) with the radio or xm is a quick setting change if you use the favorites tab. maybe it works and sounds better because i have the RF system :rockin:
I will have to check it out... I am technology inept to a point lol

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I did it. Pulled the trigger on Amazon and got the parts for it. Taking it to a local install shop for a good price and will be professionally done with a clean look. They are doing a "By-pass" for the video and will fit a usb/aux port most likely where they are located in the newer X models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts