Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2005 X is pinging at low speed, at take off, hmmmmm...
at first i thought it was the Hot days, then it was cool and the ping was still there. So then I thought it was the larger 285/60/18`s causing it to ping when the temps got warm, so I swapped them back out with the stockers and ping is still there. For the last week I put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and it seemed to go away. the past few night have been cool, low 70`s and the X is still pinging again. I`ve tried dif brands of gas and dif octane, no difference at all... The X has 36XXX miles on it and is in what I think great running condition... what could be going on here? no check engine light, truck still pulls hard, still getting decent mileage, what`s up?...PR...

·
on line
107 Posts
Well, pinging is typically from too low an octane...and/or too advanced timing. (Low octane gas essentially burns faster...)

As you report different octanes, etc, didn't help...the timing is probably off, as in too advanced.

WHY it is too advanced is the real issue of course.

It may be the CPU is off a bit on its ramp program, the MAF sensor is dirty, or any number of other niggling problems...like the knock sensor signal being off a bit (The knock sensor would help to retard the timing to prevent ping...), and so forth.

Its possible that there's an engine code that could be retrieved...that would help to narrow the search down.

·
on line
564 Posts
According to the owner's manual, some pinging is normal...
2006 owner's manual said:
However, now and then you may notice
light spark knock for a short time while
accelerating or driving up hills. This is not a
cause for concern, because you get the
greatest fuel benefit when there is light
spark knock for a short time under heavy
engine load.
Mine has always pinged at low rpms...especially when I "lug" it.

Rob

·
on line
107 Posts
So Nissan is saying that they did not know how to continue the timing ramp to compensate for heavy loads...ok.

Wouldn't be the first time an OEM took a short cut.

"These apparent flaws are not defects, they are part of the natural beauty of the product..."

:D

He didn't say he had pinging during heavy loads of course, just at low speed, and at take off...so, perhaps not the same thing as mentioned in the manual, albeit the same topic...acelleration and take off for example might be considered the same thing...but what about at low speed?

Anyway...so its either Nissan's lazy programming, or, the timing needs to be (Ironically) MORE retarded.

:D

·
on line
735 Posts
Mine doesn't ping, but I'd rather have a light ping with a performance ign curve rather than a 1976 timing curve with 8.5 to 1 compression. I'll take the extra 100 hp please.

·
on line
255 Posts
"These apparent flaws are not defects, they are part of the natural beauty of the product..."
Thanks TJ, my '56 Triumph TR3 was a beautiful car...one might say 'organic'!

It seldom pinged, then again, it seldom ran.

·
on line
652 Posts
you may have a carbon build up in the motor
depending on the fuels used and the type of driving you do /did
I had this problem on a ford explorer I changed gas brands and octane and plugs to no avail.
My dealer told me it was a carbon buildup and i needed an upper intake flush
they used bg44k did the flush added a can to the fuel and my truck ran like new

this is a 100 dollar service that is well worth the money
MAKE SURE THEY USE BG44K PRODUCTS

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rckev said:
you may have a carbon build up in the motor
depending on the fuels used and the type of driving you do /did
I had this problem on a ford explorer I changed gas brands and octane and plugs to no avail.
My dealer told me it was a carbon buildup and i needed an upper intake flush
they used bg44k did the flush added a can to the fuel and my truck ran like new

this is a 100 dollar service that is well worth the money
MAKE SURE THEY USE BG44K PRODUCTS
carbon build-up with 40K on the clock. the X is always run at highway speeds for a good length at a time. only short trips are to the grocery store. Now it`s cold outside, clutch fan is working properly (had issue before, fan was always full flow), and it`s not pinging now even with the Nitto`s back on!?... I do use Gumout, seafoam (example) in the tank frequently so I shouldn`t have any carbon build-up...PR...

·
on line
735 Posts
I like the product called Auto_Rx. it'l de-sludge your valvetrain, lifters and de-carbon ring lands which can also lead to some pinging. A fuel additive will take care of the valve and piston face.

The above product is an oil additive and I have used it with good results, it's not snake oil.

·
on line
704 Posts
You should not hear pinging. I don't know much about the design of our knock sensors, but they are there. They will retard timing if octane is too low and you should not hear anything. I suggest to take the car to a dealer. What if the knock sensor is dead?

·
on line
735 Posts
I suspect it is regional fuel quality combined with the fact that certain oil and gas combos probably result in carbon build up in some parts of the US more than out west.

·
on line
652 Posts
Short trips will cause your carbon build up
Everytime you shut your engine off there is smoke still left in you motor
This will cause carbon build up

blow smoke from a cig. in a clear glass turn it over on a table until the smoke disappears and you will see what i mean. There will be residue on the glass
everytime you shut your motor off the same thing is happening

Your being in N.J. is a sure sign that you are on the wonderful winter gas blend. A proven sheety blend we are forced to burn
My friend has a 5.3 liter echevy that does that and the dealer calls it normal
When he uses the Amsoil P.I. additive it goes away
Every dealer and many other repair shops flush with BG44K
No dealer or Independent recommends gumout or stp or seafoam or superblue we use it on the space shuttle wheels super cleaner .
They use BG because it works
Funny side note
While picking up a company chevy at the dealer Fri I asked them if they sold the Bg44k over the Counter they said . No.but I could by the GM brand of Fuel treatment. So I asked If the GM crap was so good. Why do You use the BG products to flush with????????
Their reply..............

"exactly"
Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts