Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This truck is going to be the death of me!! Running a bullydog tuner on a premium tune +2° timing. And lately it's been pinging extremely bad. It's setting p0300 random miss due to rising combustion temps . Now back about 3 months ago I did the timing chain, guides, wp ect ect. Now after that in July I went wheelin at ecxc and the CE light popped on a few times on the trails setting a p0300. Cleared it with the BD tuner never came back on since until last week. Wife has been putting 91 in it and I recently stepped up to 93 and took away timing seemed to get better but it's still pinging bad under light load. Was running +2 timing on 91 gas. Now running 93 @ stock timing. The pinging is actually making my temp gauge come up a tiny bit stop and go driving bouncing up to 215°. My a/f reads 14.2 at idle and 12-13 under light loads.

Just wondering what your seeing on your BD tuner for temp and A/f reading and what your running for gas, timing and what tune. And if your getting any bad pinging like I'm getting

·
on line
2,875 Posts
A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I had the xterra, brand new and no tune. Running 87 gas it pinged on light acceleration. Dealer said normal. I went to 89 gas and ping went away. At around 60k miles I got a bully dog. Set tune to the middle tune. Pinged on 89. I now run 91/93 and no pings. I have no addition timing set. If I go to the hi tune it pings on 93. Sooo I decided I would keep my engine from blowing and run just the mid tune and get the highest octane un my area which is 91/93. 123k miles and no issues at all.

I think your problem is the hi tune and then ontop of that the extra timing advance. It will ping. Pretty bad I would guess.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I think I'm going to step down a tune see what happens. Crazy thing its never pinged this bad before and as of lately it's been extremely bad. I'm concerned it's going to ruin the pistons from detonation.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've noticed a little ping on startup lately, I run 91/93 with the hi tune. I don't think I have any additional timing advance though. After reading this I'm going to go home and check it out. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Did they switch to winter blend already? It is soon if they did not. None of my tuned cars like winter gas.

·
on line
1,296 Posts
Did you try going negative with the timing to see if pinging goes away? Winter gas does suck,mine pinged bad on stock tune and I was getting real bad mpg until I went -2 on timing and it smoothed out.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Did they switch to winter blend already? It is soon if they did not. None of my tuned cars like winter gas.
This. I run 87 tune in winter (on 87 gas) and 93 tune in summer (on 93 gas).

No pings either way. But I notice on winter blend (regardless of octane) milage goes down quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My gas mileage has been down big time. Was getting a solid 18 hwy to 15 now. Wtf. Switching up the tune tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I hadn't thought about the winter blend being out, interesting. I may switch back to the 87 tune as well then.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
So what if it pings and ruins your engine and so what if u get less mpgs. Its better for the environment. Right?

Note my sarcasm.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just a update on this.. I swapped tunes to a mid grade tune and kept with 91 gas and the pinging is almost gone. My mpgs did go up to 16-17 hwy but as of yesterday I swapped in a full cat back exhaust so I'm hoping it will increase some more. It's not the solid 18 I was getting before but it's going in the right direction. I'm going to bump timing up +1 see how she does and report back.

Damn you winter blend!!!!!!! :violent1:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Just a update on this.. I swapped tunes to a mid grade tune and kept with 91 gas and the pinging is almost gone. My mpgs did go up to 16-17 hwy but as of yesterday I swapped in a full cat back exhaust so I'm hoping it will increase some more. It's not the solid 18 I was getting before but it's going in the right direction. I'm going to bump timing up +1 see how she does and report back.

Damn you winter blend!!!!!!! :violent1:
Jeeze man I'm jealous. I average 12.5 MPGs. (Stop and go city)

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
I run the 87 tune with a +2 deg. timing. I haven't had any pinging at all. Getting anywhere from 13 to 20 MPG. Just did a Moab trip, highway, trails and city driving for the whole trip I got just over 16 MPG. That's with full armor, winch, lift, and all our gear, I am running stock tire size though. 33's soon... I hope.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have no tuning at all and mine pings real bad. I've been running 93 to help out. It pings less, but with the windows open, next to a curb/wall it's still audible. New plugs, seafoam etc... I still can't figure out why she pings. Maybe timing was advanced at the dealer at some point before we picked her up?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Just saw this thread....Keith, I was getting pinging with the 93 tune and +2 degrees of timing. Especially when really hot out. I switched back to 0 degrees timing and I'm still on the 93 octane tune. It hasnt been pinging much if at all. However, I do notice my truck running hot when I am heavy on the throttle. I think going back to 0* timing helped keep it a little cooler. During normal highway driving I'm usually around 195*. If I'm in stop and go traffic, it'll jump up to around 205*, and then going up big hills I get up to 210-215 sometimes. I've been trying to do everything I can to see why the heck it is doing that, but I've done everything I can think of, short of replacing the thermostat or getting a more efficient radiator, or even getting rid of the stock fan and getting some high efficiency electric fans.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. Dave I think these truck naturally run a bit on the hot side when on the skinny pedal .now I'm seeing 185-200° cruising at 60-70 hwy at about 2k. Stop go it's up 205-215 more. Probably due to the extra weight on from all the hardware and I don't think these shock bumpers provide the best airflow to the radiator too. But I'm looking into a Griffen radiator soon to help with cooling capacity. My pinging is almost gonzo so I'm happy with that no ruined pistons for me :headbang:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have no tuning at all and mine pings real bad. I've been running 93 to help out. It pings less, but with the windows open, next to a curb/wall it's still audible. New plugs, seafoam etc... I still can't figure out why she pings. Maybe timing was advanced at the dealer at some point before we picked her up?
Any thought to running cooler plugs?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts