Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I explored a sand road through the pine barrens today. It runs through the Wharton State Forest. Nothing complicated just really some cool scenery and an escape from the daily grind.

Sorry for the crappy pictures but I forgot the camera so these are taken with my phone.

The main road is Quakerbridge road and I believe it is about 25 miles. The pictures are taken from Goodwater Road that branches off and runs for about 6 miles to Batsto Villiage.

·
on line
59 Posts
My buddy sank the front of his Jeep (2" S lift on 32's) into one of those holes last weekend. Got pulled out by one of those 4dr suzuki "SUV's". HE HEE!

·
on line
1,113 Posts
yeah a couple times riding in the pines ive almost rolled my truck trying to go around a puddle. I wasnt sure about how deep it was and didnt want to get stuck and while I was going around the puddle the passenger side just dropped down and in the long run I ended up having to get pulled out anyway.

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to avoid the pines on rainy weeks as I dont want to get stuck. I usually go by myself (im a loser) and really dont want to rely on someone coming around to get me out.

Im looking at getting a "come along" so I can be a little braver but I am sure once I get stuck and have to use the thing I will get a lot less brave.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
Hey NJSolar, where you from in NJ? I'm in CT now but born and raised in Toms River. My buddy has a 4runner and I'm thinking sometime early next year hitting the Pine Barren's. Never been, believe it or not.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
it can be a Saturday. i just want to say away from all that rotting corpse mud. it took forever to get that stink out of the x. some of those water holes are traps. sand and water will swallow anything.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
ill be down for that i always get amped up to go to meets but i end up having things come up and keep me from going. But they should be frozen up i hate that about this area you think its just a puddle and you end up bottomed out on the frame and spending an entire day getting the clumps out from under your truck

·
on line
1,017 Posts
haha. Yeah sand and mud pits are the devil! the Jersey Devil :) . I'll avoid them and any that are "iced" over as you break through that and the ice can do some serious damage. We'll stay away from the Mud Monster or whatever they call it.

·
on line
19 Posts
What kind of wheeling is in the pines? I was there once and all I found was sandy fire roads and mud pits. I might me down for this trip I would like to find the hot spots in the pines.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
That sucks! How much water ended up where it shouldn't with that one... My wife would have killed me so I think I would have never gone home after that. :) Wives are so understanding...right????

·
on line
1,017 Posts
Yeah teh Piney's are mostly sand pits/roads with mud pits. But there are a lot of historical places you could check out like old homes and mills/furnaces as well as a nice tall fire tower. At least you're tires are allowed to hit dirt for a while :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts