Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the lesson learned today: NEVER GO WHEELING ALONE!!!

I was supposed to meet some guys from a local 4X4 club here in San Antonio. I had never been to this location so I basically wound up driving around and before heading home decided to get some mud on the X. After randomly meeting Yusuf on the highway, I got stuck! Had to call in the big guns, his 4X2 pulled me out and saved me a looong wait for AAA! Xterra Recovery Vehicle? I think so!
Here's pics of me stuck in the mud, followed by Yusuf trailing off in the distance:

And then to top it all off (getting lost, not meeting anyone, getting stuck) my damn roof rack came off in the car wash! I didn't think twice about running through the local wash, go there frequently, but totally forgot I'm 1" taller now! Start going through and the crossbars, Yakima, Hi-Lift and all go sliding down the back of my X! Here they all are in the back of the truck, I was determined to get the X clean!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Life is trade-offs. One possible lesson is don't go alone. But if you are alone, and I DO go out on my own, take precautions.

Stay on the trail. Fear mud. Great maps and GPS. Be willing to hike in an emergency, and have sleeping bag and other gear along. Winch, maybe. Hi-Lift.

To each his/her own. Don't flame me for going alone, but prepared, which I will keep doing. I'm addicted. It's an individual decision, but there are many things to do and approaches to take that lower the risk.

Do think twice about getting off the trail or vehicle-beaten track. The environmentalists actually have a point when it comes to that (Tread Lightly is the wheelers mantra too).

Still looks like you had a blast in the end. Mud is just incredible.

·
on line
962 Posts
w00t! I'm glad I was able to help you!

4x2's are not ALWAYS bad.

That sucks about your roof rack though.

I made it home pretty quickly...I made it from there to the coast in and hour and 50 minutes towing the trailer.

I hauled some @$$ in the X!

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice pic Yusuf, I didn't notice you out w/ camera! And thanks again dude.

Yeah, going alone proved it's point; Don't Do It w/o A Good Plan! Hell, even the Hi-Lift I have on my rack would have been handy but who left w/o any tools...this guy! Lesson learned but still had some fun.

And I had to wash all the mud off when I got home cuz it was giving me real bad driving vibrations, had like a mold of mud around my LCA's and wheels going on. Wound up just hosing it all down!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts