Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, it's going to be a long post! I should get a pass on my first one, but I'm wearing my flame suit just in case!

Hi all, I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Brian, and i've been a Nissan guy my whole life. I got bit by the VE bug when I bought my first car, a 93 maxima SE 5-MT with 130k on it; bought and paid for with my own money for $400 (the guy said it wouldn't start, I crawled underneath and saw that one pole of the starters' bolt had disconnected and fallen out. I took a chance that he was an idiot, and I was right!). The day I traded it in, it had 267k on it, and it still smoked the tires all across the parking lot. It was traded for a Mitsubishi lancer, worst mistake ever (hey, I was a kid). I immediately traded it in after 2 months (took quite a hit), and bought an 01 maxima SE MT. Next was an 02 Maxima SE MT, and until tomorrow, I am driving a 05 Altima SE-R MT. My old warhorse has 206k on it, and she has some issues but otherwise a great riding (NO squeeks or rattles, can you believe it? SOlid as a rock) and the beautiful VQ still purrs like a kitten (burns oil, but show me a 200k engine that doesn't!). I've never owned an automatic, and never will. The day I'm too old to drive a stick is the day I'm too old to drive! (No offense to the slushbox owners out there!)

But, now that I am no longer interested in spending money to recondition a car with replacing altenators, AC, LCA's etc I am going to spend money on modifications. Honestly, I didn't even think Nissan sold SUV's with MT's anymore, so I was going to go with a Z. But, living in upstate NY with a Z as a daily driver in February seemed like an iffy proposition at best. Long story short, a guy who I train with in Krav Maga with has an Xterra, and I asked him how he liked it. He said "I love it, but I wish I had my 09 6MT back!" (his brother wrecked it). When I realized that I could still get a VQ 6MT, and have tons of space for our frequent camping trips, I immediately started looking for a clean Xterra. Finding what I wanted was only slightly less hard than finding a unicorn, but I found a 2010 X, 6MT that is CPO. Long story short, I am basically stealing it from the dealer, paying 15.5k for it!

So now that I have extra money to burn by saving so much (I was looking to spend 19-20), I can get to work modifying! Here is my list, in the order that I was thinking of doing it, any suggestions/comments would be appreciated! (I've been lurking on this site for a week now, so I've learned a lot!)

1. Full Synthetics for all the fluids in her, PS, Brake, Oil, Rear Diff, X-fer case - Figuring at least $200-$300
2. Ordering a Shrockworks front bumper w/lights (I hear it takes quite a long time to get)
3. HeftyFab Full Skid set and sliders
4. Volant CAI
5. General Grabber AT 2 185/75 R 16 (I can mount these before a lift, correct?)
6. I would like to get a nice roof rack, much like the "Disco Dan's custom rack" that I've seen on a members' X, too bad I will never have one :( I guess I will have to find a more readily available rack.

That's about all I'll do right now, I'll wait for the bumper to get here. By then, I'll want to lift:

7. Nisstec Complete OME Suspension w/Dakar Leafs (I will get the HD springs becaue of the weight of the front bumper, am I right?)

8. With that lift I'll need UCA's? so Light Racing UCA's (off of nisstec website)?
9. Maybe a winch, but that can wait
10. Wheel spacers
11. Extended Brake like kit (needed for the lift and extra travel, correct?)
12. Snorkel

And my pipe dream:

12 Supercharger! Though I imagine that by the time I do everything else, and save the money, it might not be worth it due to the age of the vehicle! haha

With all of that, I should have a pretty respectable off-road rig, amiright? I will take it slow, while waiting for the parts, I have a few friends that go wheeling, so I'll have them take me on some easy trails to get the basics while I'm stock (I'll be careful, especially without the skids installed!).

So sorry for the novel, but I can't wait to be a part of this forum, I've learned a lot just by browsing and reading the sticky's. I won't be able to offer anything useful in terms of Xterra and offroading know-how, but if anyone has any Maxima/Altima questions I could be a good help!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
It looks like you've been doing your research, which is a good thing! And yes your new tires can fit without the lift. Not sure what your funds situation is, but unless you're ordering everything at once, I would place the sliders/skids just in front of the bumper. Sure the bumper is BA looking but the sliders and skids will provide way more protection off road. Glad to have you here! Now just make a build thread and post lots of pictures of your truck :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, I was thinking of ordering 2-5 together, because I do have a little extra money from getting such a good price. But if I decide to out more down on the vehicle to lower the payment even more ill definitely make sure to do the armor first! Thanks for the advice! Either way, im definitely getting rid of the stockers right away no matter what and sell them (brand new), because I hate crap tires.

Looking forward to tearning a lot!

-Brian

·
on line
612 Posts
You're gonna love the X. The main reason I originally got an X was because I wanted an SUV with an MT and you basically can't find anything else out there except for Jeeps and I didn't want any of those. If you find the shifter in the X to be a little too sloppy I would suggest looking into PRG's short throw shifter. It doesn't lower the height much but there is definitely less throw and you get a nice satisfying click as you get into gear. If you're good with the clutch you'll find that the OEM clutch lasts a long time. I went 193k before I swapped out my clutch. Enjoy your X and have fun doing your mods :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
FYI- the sliders/skids before bumper are a good idea. But also keep in mind the aftermarket bumper weighs a lot more than the stock one, so you may have an even lower front end than before. Maybe consider getting the lift after tires, sliders and skids before the bumper to help support all the extra weight you'll be putting on the X.

Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
welcome and congrats on your purchase! if you ever need help with anything let me know...I'm down near poughkeepsie but I'm only a bit over an hour south of albany...I lived in albany for 3 years. Like I said, if you need any advice or a helping hand, let me know! Also, I fabricate stuff, and if you would like anything like a "dephep style" roof rack, or an interior bike rack I could make one for you at a decent price. Happy wheeling!

·
on line
2,300 Posts
I would skip the synthetic transmission fluid change. The 6-speed gets fussy if you run anything other then the Nissan manual transmission fluid in it. Lots of people have done fluid swap only to go back to fix various issues.

You do realize that with all the mods you will kill your gas mileage. From what you list I expect you to loose 3-4 MPG. It is what happens when you kill the aerodynamics of a vehicle. So long as you know that and are willing to accept it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
oh man..well welcome to the region and congrats...i lived in Latham last few years and just accepted new job down in Orlando, FL. Im leaving today actually hah

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Congrats on the purchase ... excellent choice (I'm a unicorn driver myself ... and of the same mentality about my own vehicles, I'll be rowing my own until I can't). Also, thanks for doing the research and posting detailed, specific questions/plans; rather than the more ubiquitous "what's the biggest tire I can fit, and tell me what lift to get ... oh, and what are some good wheels that will look best" - paraphrased, of course.

I assume your tire size was a typo and you actually meant 285x75r16 ... if not, then that's the size I would suggest looking at. 185s would be way skinny (NTTAWWT - I'm running a 255), and that specific size is really a small diameter tire (nominally a 27" tire ... stock is 31" or 32", and most folks look to go up to a 33") ... but if you want the 185s for some reason, I'm curious to hear it!

For racks, check out the Gobi Ranger Rack ... or Xoskel (fangars on this forum) full roof rack. Both are full replacements, and quite well made ... not cheap, though.

Agreed on the MT gear oil; you may already know this, but the Nissan synchros (or at least the ones in the Xterra MT) tend to be a bit sensitive to the particular formulation ... I'd stick with the known good performers - as in, you are confident they won't be a bad actor in this trans. Further, we've got a hydraulic clutch that shares its fluid reservoir with the brake system ... so if you're swapping brake fluid, be sure it's not going to interfere with the clutch system (don't know why it should, but just another consideration that's a nuance of the MT).

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's the exact reason I really found out about the Xterra. I was looking for something with some room, some power, and a manual transmission. I had just about given up when I wandered across one on autotrader.com. I started looking around online, read the reviews, found this site, was convinced, convinced the wife, found a used one for a good price, and now I have dreams of vacations in remote places.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the welcome! And BlackoutV, I might take you up on the offer, I'll PM you.

As for the Manual tranny fluid, thanks for the advice, I haven't read anything in that area, but it makes sense. I'll keep the brakes and tranny fluid stock then.

Oh yeah, I did mean "285", 185 would be awfully skinny! My altima rode on 225's lol.

But yeah, just drove her home! I found myself a little disappointed in the interior at first, it is definitely Spartan compared to my SE-R. But then I realized that those 2 vehicles are made for completely different things, and it is actually very utilitarian and it grew on me on the drive home. I love it now! It also helps that there is a nice DVD deck with satalite radio installed (aftermarket). Could use a few more ponies, but it is certainly adequate, I'm still getting used to the torque curve, especially in first gear. I hit the gas, and after about 3500rpm it takes off, and chirps in 2nd. Wasn't expecting that, have to recalibrate my foot lol. The first time it happened, I thought of that God-awful scene in the fast in furious where the dude says "VTEC just kicked in yo!" and the scene blurred. I nearly laughed myself into a ditch haha.

But damn, this thing does shift like a truck! I see a short-throw shifter in my near future. I wish I could do something about the clutch throw too. But again, a car tranny and a truck tranny are meant to do different things and I'll get used to it.

Sly, that sucks but congrats on your new job, where did you live? I live on Monroe, across from On the Farm.

Early2010, yeah, I know about the MPG. Like I said, I am ready to drive a completely different type of vehicle, and all the benefits and drawbacks that come with it!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, I'm taking the lady out to dinner. I'll post some pictures (but everyone knows what a stock X looks like haha), and I'll be sure do document my build along the way!

-Brian

·
on line
10,980 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome! I'll be moving back to Syracuse next month or so (grew up there).

Good choice on the MT - my first vehicle was a slushbox and I'll do my best to never own one again.

I've also been meaning to adjust my clutch throw since I found that thread but it's grown on me and I don't mind it now.

The interior is definitely a little rugged (and cheap looking if you ask me) but other than that it's a great truck and will serve you well. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you already found this: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49462&highlight=prg+short+throw+shifter ... :D

... and here's some more reading for you: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34178&highlight=clutch+adjust, haven't done it myself, yet (embarrassing, since I posted in that thread about needing to do it - almost three years ago ... :violent1:); but it does seem to give some folks good results.

Thanks Skibum! I just adjusted it, and now the clutch throw is (mostly) just like my altima, no more jerking motions! :bounce:

I would just recommend that while it is a PITA to get your hand behind the spring, DON"T REMOVE IT (the spring)! I did, and it certainly gave my hand enough clearance, boy was it a B to get back on the pedal. I finally got it though. Thanks for sharing!

And one question, I read something a while back (I can't seem to find it now) about peeling back a plastic piece that reveals a cargo rail or something like that? I have searched for it but haven't come up with anything useful.

-Brian

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh OK, that's what they were talking about. I didn't really have an idea of what they were talking about, but it makes sense now. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts