Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to take the X out on her first real offroading trip. I've driven on several forest roads around here, but nothing that required 4wd. I decided to take the wife and kids on a weekend trip over Labor Day weekend to enjoy the great outdoors. We rented a cabin in Pickett State Park near Jamestown, TN and got up on Sunday morning to go exploring in Pickett State Forest. It starts out as a gravel road (Blackhouse Mountain Rd.) and slowly gets rougher and turns into a fairly tight trail. Nothing too tough but still a fun trial. The trail ends in a great view of the Cumberland Plateau where we stopped for lunch.

Lunch spot:

View at the end of the trail:

After lunch, we headed out the way we came. Here's a pic on an off camber section where I actually had enough room to get out of the truck (was more of an angle than the pic shows).

The next trail cut off of the main road and was the one I was really looking forward to. It's a loop with a beautiful teal blue mineral pond at the mid point. I was a little hesitant to go down the trail after walking down a little ways since I didn't have any other trucks with me (there were plenty of 4 wheelers and sxs's however), but after some encouragement from the wife we decided to go for it. There were enough detours around the tough stuff that it wasn't too difficult of a trail, just really tight in a few places. One detour left about an inch or less between my front fenders and two trees, but the other option would have needed a fully built buggy. With some excellent spotting from my wife, we made it to the pond (had to walk the last 100 yards or so because the end was so washed out). It was definitely worth the effort.

About 2 minutes after we got there, about 20-30 atv's, sxs's, dirt bikes, and one well built sami showed up and joined us for a swim in the pond. We stayed a little while longer and headed back up the hill to the Xterra. We went out the way we came and met a few more atv's when we were driving out that were pretty impressed the X could make it down there. Nice people, even offered to help spot in a tight part of the trail. Then about halfway back, all 20-30 of them blasted past us through the mud on the way out as I pulled to the side lol. We finally made it back to the main trial and I realized I hadn't taken any pics on that trail so I got a couple at the exit.

Then we rode on a few more gravel/dirt forest roads and headed back to the cabin.

I must say, I'm incredibly impressed with the Xterra's capabilities even after reading and seeing where it has taken some of you through. I had also just had 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2's installed thanks to all the great reviews on here. They were amazing! Nearly zero slipping. They stuck to anything and everything I put them through.

Anyway, Pickett was a pretty cool place, and there's several more trails than the two I drove on. Open 24/7, year round, no permit required. I was greatly outnumbered by atv's. Definitely worth the visit even if you only go to the mineral pond. Wish I would have taken more pics, but I was having too much fun driving!

PS: Wife loved it. Said it was one of her favorite trips we've been on. :headbang:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Knoxville.

I know Pickett county fairly well. It's a good, small town. Great scenery though.
Thanks, I'm right down the road in Maryville. Been lurking for a while keeping things on the DL haha.

Dude you should bring out to nXm Sept 19-22 That Saturday we are going to have all type of coo activities. www.nationalxterrameet.org

Cool pix
Love to, but I probably won't be able to make it this year. Isn't registration closed already anyway? I'll definitely make a better attempt to attend next year.

·
on line
3,457 Posts
Thanks, I'm right down the road in Maryville. Been lurking for a while keeping things on the DL haha.

Love to, but I probably won't be able to make it this year. Isn't registration closed already anyway? I'll definitely make a better attempt to attend next year.
Holla if you want to meet up for beers.

And I missed the registeration too but I'm going to watch the rock climb and raffle. So my attendance will be limited. You should just come out and meet few of us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts