Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

PhullD Build Page - Now Fully Locked!

106K views 498 replies 56 participants last post by  PhullD 
#1 · (Edited)
Intro Comments: I wanted something more capable than a car that wouldn't fall apart driving on our deteriorating roads, especially in the Winter. I always enjoyed going off-road on FSR's or deactivated roads when I was working in Northern B.C. and decided I was going to get back into it with this Xterra. The mods have happened a LOT faster than I was prepared for haha!

Username: PhullD

Purchased: August 2015

Make: Nissan
Year: 2015
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X, 6MT "Limited" :laughing8:
Color: Super Black

October 20th, 2018

MODS

Armor:

Shrockworks Front bumper with flip plate
Shrockworks front skid
ARB Diff Cover
Black Widow Gear (BWG) aluminum tranny, t-case and gas tank skids
Hefty aluminum engine Skid
White Knuckle Sliders
Rear shock skids
Maxterra rear bumper

Lighting:
Lamin-X yellow fog light covers
Diode Dynamics XML2 fog lights
AUXBeam X Series 22 inch light bar (rear)
Diode Dynamics Reverse LED's
LED pods in rear bumper

Misc. Exterior Mods:
Auxiliary Gas Tank (19gal)
Rear Hatch Adjustment Mod
X-tec Fender Flares
Smittybilt X2O 10,000lb Winch with Wireless Controller
Synthetic Winch Line
Diff Breather Mod
175lb Rear Hatch Struts
Daystar D-Ring isolators
Front window tint on pass and driver's sides (35%)
Maxterra Roof Rack

Interior/Electrical:
Maxterra rear cargo shelf (currently removed)
Fog Light Mod
Midland 75-822 CB Radio, heavy duty stud and Wilson 4ft flexy on the tire carrier
WeatherTech Floor Mats (front, second row and rear)
Nissan Navara illuminated shift knob (no longer illuminated lol)
ABS Off mod
Replaced Interior Bulbs with LED's
Diode Dynamics Interior LED Kit (with one in center console)
BlackVue 650 2CH Front and Rear Cameras with Parking Module
Raingler Barrier Net
Raingler Grab Handles
Raingler Hatch Bag
Raingler custom ceiling net
Blue Sea 5026 ST panel
Blue Sea waterproof 90amp circuit breaker
Toyota 800 series switches in amber with ABS Off, Interior Lights, and Rear Lights
Clutch adjustment mod
ARB CKMA12 compressor
ARB inflation/adaptor kit
4Crawler 4-tire inflation/deflation kit
Redlinegoods extended leather shift boot
ARB Fridge/freezer 12volt plug
ARB 37qt Fridge/freezer with transit bag
Autometer gauge and transfer switch for auxiliary tank

Engine/Drivetrain:
Stock engine
Tom Woods double cardan driveshaft
Femco Quick Oil Drain
Rugged Rocks 180a alternator
Bully Dog 40417 GT
Airflow Snorkel
AEM high flow filter (for the cleanable aspect)
Added Nissan engine cover (should have come with IMO)
Re-geared to 4:56 (F*** YEAH!)
ARB front locker

Suspension
1/2" strut spacers
SuperPro poly steering rack bushings
Titan LCA's
SPC Titan UCA's
Titan swap Radflo 2.5" with 650lb springs
Alcan springs +800lbs and 3" of lift
Rear Radflo 2.5" remote res shocks
Bora 2" wheel spacers (rear)
2" AC body lift
Stainless front and rear extended brake lines
PRG Shackles
Timbren offroad bumpstops
Grease fittings on Alcan spring eyelets

Wheels and Tires Brakes:
(4 plus a spare on stock p4x rims) 315/75R16 BFG KO2's (great tire)
HAWK LTS pads all around

Removed or Sold:
265/75R16 Hankook Dynapro AT's on Steelies (Ok winter tire for road/mild offroad, wish it was tougher)
285/75R16 Khumo KL71 Road Venture M/T (Terrible, worst warranty and company, never buy these)
Diamond K400 Antenna Mount
Two ARB type 9 inch 320w (27k Lumen) pods (front) with ARB Intensity (Amber) Lenses
Wilson 4' Antenna
Xterra SPC UCA's
Nisstec 2 inch lift top spacer with AAL
OME MD springs
Removed Rear Sway Bar
Removed Front Sway Bar
Raingler Rear Roof Net
Mud guards
Hella black magic lights
Volant Intake
OEM leaf pack and AAL
Hellwig EZ-550 helper springs
XTP Intake Manifold Spacer
Rex Rug Mod

On the Go:
Rust prevention/correction
MT's

Future Plans?:
Offroad trailer rebuild

PHOTOS

Snorkel

35's mounted July 4th, 2017:

Post T-swap June, 2017

Post BL May, 2017

Before BL March - April, 2017- OME springs on stock Bilsteins, spacers, AAL and PRG shackle.

Stock, Day 1 :)

I will post more as it progresses.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Here are some of the pics for the BlackVue 650GW 2CH dashcam I installed. Overall I would rate all the hardware and software for install and the power module an 8/10. The camera quality for regular roads with normal lighting is good, in variable lighting just ok (like in forests) and at night dependent on the amount of ambient light nearby.

The tap for power was an unused fuse spot.

Mounted it to the back of the glovebox. It looks a bit messy, but everything is bundled and tied, there is just so much extra wire, you could mount this in many places.

Power Magic module.

Some of the settings you can tinker with.

Front camera.

Diver's view.

Rear camera.

As you can see the wire was fed up through the headliner so it is all hidden. It was a good hour long job feeding it through. In some places the anxiety of breaking the clips was definitely there particularly at the pillar columns where they meet the headliner, and you need to be careful how you feed the wire in the front pillar due to airbags.

#14 ·
Ordered two heated seat switches to retrofit for the light bar (only using one). The light bar has two switches (one for DRL and one for the main bar). I didn't really like the aftermarket options and did not want to run two switches. The heated seat switch is a 3 position switch, middle is off, upper is both circuits on, bottom is only one circuit on. It has 6 prongs, two are the power and ground that taps the dash light circuit to dim like the rest of your switches, the other 4 are the two circuits mentioned. I found some rocker switch labels to cover the seat symbol. I will scratch it to maximize the light then cover it with the switch label. Should look almost stock. Plus I will have an extra 3 position switch for future projects.

#18 ·
This is a sweet pic, I always love pictures that show a good IFS flex

#23 · (Edited)
Finished installing the wiring for the light bar and did the fog light film covers from Lamin-X with the XML2's from Diode Dynamics. Will have to aim all the lights one evening before taking nice pics.

Blue Sea fuse panel. I will velcro it in this summer when the velcro tape will actually stick. For now it is all tucked in out of sight behind the trim panel.

Up position, daytime running lights.

Down position, Light bar.

The circuit breaker in the engine bay.

#24 · (Edited)
Got the lift put it in with SPC's and the OME springs. Also took off the front sway bar. I still have PRG shackles coming via priority mail. The OME springs gave me additional lift (the p4x has no rake stock) so I will just set the shackle at 1.5 inch lift to give me a +.5 inch rake (higher in the back).

Pics to follow once the shackle is in and installed.

Also will be needing longer rear shocks and bumpstops before next season. I am going to order the 5125's on Monday, Nisstec makes an extended travel kit for the rear.

#26 ·
Don't put them on inside and then realize you can't get out of it... I did that when setting up a bunch of gear on the roof (we have a tall garage inside) but had to undo the last hour of work to get the truck out of the actual door lol

#28 · (Edited)
Update: One step further to finishing the lift. Initially I got more lift in the front than I anticipated (by about a half inch) and about a half inch less from my add a leaf. Resulted in The Cali lean :frown:

Then with PRG shackles on 1.5 inches and Hellwig helper springs I got a slight rake (higher in the back) just like I wanted:

Measurements with 265's: 38.5" in the rear (stock is 35.6") and 37.75" in the front (stock is 34.25).

**Note** These are with my winter rims and tires, summers are 285's.

#29 · (Edited)
I also discovered a very very easy way to shut off ABS. There is some mod on here about messing with the fuses which won't let you shift out of 4x4 or something and another one that requires you modify the ABS motor by either pulling that fuse, or bypassing it and connecting the fuse to a switch.

You can forget all that! Pop the drink holder molding off. Towards the center console there is a plug right there, that is your ABS. Unplug and you are done! You can shift to 4 hi, 4 low and lock it with the e-locker no problem. To turn it back on, plug it back in and turn off your engine and restart. The ABS will be back to normal.

Now the best part! The brown wire is the ground for the plug. Pull that sucker out of the wiring harness, snip it and connect the wires to a switch. You no longer have to pop off the molding or anything, just hit the switch. You can now turn off your ABS on the fly and turn it back on easily upon restart!

Here is the wiring diagram for the plug:

When I get around to it I will make a how-to. Could this be the first mod I have named in my honor? :p

#31 · (Edited)
Seems I developed a creaking sound when braking over the last day or so. It only happens when the body rocks at a complete stop (anything over a light stop will do it, hard stops it is more pronounced). I'm not really sure what it is :scratch:

Edit: Was the SPC bushings. They went on when it was dry and cold. After a brief snow melt and wetness on the roads they have since gone quiet.

#33 · (Edited)
I am running the MD springs on the stock p4x coilovers and a 2 inch top spacer with SPC's. It rides different. It absorbs all the small dips better than stock and the front isn't sagging or nose diving anymore. Highway is loads better. They are stiff enough that I barely notice no front sway bar except when going through dips and bumps in the road (it feels a lot better in that respect). Deeper pot holes seem to be about the same to slightly worse, but that is expected because of the pre-load on the coil springs. The wheels basically get pushed into the pot hole a little bit. I haven't really tested it though because I know the ball joint boots would touch as soon as the wheels droop.

There was a thread I started about it which I will update when I am done with the lift, along with travel numbers and complete review. Monday I am re-grinding the coil buckets and getting a final alignment so it will be shortly after. My rear extended travel kit will probably go on as well this week.

Updated the thread found here:http://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-suspension-steering/218913-stock-strut-spring-upgrade.html

#34 ·
Sounds like a decent setup. I need to add a hd spring to the front. I've had an Arb bumper and winch for about 6 months now with just the 5100 bilstein and stock spring. It's bouncy but not terrible. I'm running through my options for a new setup. The quick answer is to drop about 800$ on some mk84's or something of the sort. Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.