Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

401 - 409 of 409 Posts

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
So quick question. I smell gear oil or a metallic oil smell. I had all the fluids changed at the dealer before I left (both diffs, transfer case, tranny) and did go wheeling Labour Day weekend. I did notice a smell prior to wheeling, but thought it was just spillage on the skid plates or something (happened before). Anyway after a bunch of long drives when I pull off the hwy I smell it. There are no visible drips or spills. I also smell it when the truck is cold but can't pinpoint the exact spot, I just get a whiff of something. Any ideas? Cause for concern?

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,740 Posts
So quick question. I smell gear oil or a metallic oil smell. I had all the fluids changed at the dealer before I left (both diffs, transfer case, tranny) and did go wheeling Labour Day weekend. I did notice a smell prior to wheeling, but thought it was just spillage on the skid plates or something (happened before). Anyway after a bunch of long drives when I pull off the hwy I smell it. There are no visible drips or spills. I also smell it when the truck is cold but can't pinpoint the exact spot, I just get a whiff of something. Any ideas? Cause for concern?
I have the same issue in my frontier. Get a heavy diff fluid smell inside the cabin on long drives. No leaks, recently changed. Following...

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
So crawled underneath.

The smell is coming from the rear diff, looks like the RTV didn't seal perfectly. I also noticed a bit of sweat on the input shaft for the front diff and the output from the tranny (pictures below). No pics of the rear diff, I bailed because of the dark clouds lol. I wiped everything (with the intention of driving and checking again afterwards) but doesn't look that is practical given the forecast (severe thunderstorm warning).

Supposed to be going to Ouray tomorrow, not realy sure what to do right now....f-ing Nissan dealership, out of all the times you could have inconvenienced me it had to be 1800mi from home!

rear drive shaft:

Front Diff:

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #407 (Edited)
Got the X back, on my way to Ouray tomorrow am. @VMBiohazard was just the rear diff. I'd climb under there and sniff yours to see if it is the front/rear. I noticed a lot of the smell has absorbed itself onto my gear in the back, so even though the leak is gone, the smell is still kind of there.

New plan for the 10th here, and the 11th here.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Oil change is done, I start the 1790 mile drive home tomorrow morning, ugh the thought of it makes me sick lol! Still have tons of photos and vids to go through. I'll post some good ones on here when I get home. Definitely have some mods on the list for next year including:

Better rear shocks
Limit straps
Titan brake booster and slave

401 - 409 of 409 Posts