Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just exploring an idea, and looking for comments. Since clearly we cannot use our trucks as advertised, EVER without exploding diffs, warranty or not. How about a petition to Nissan asking for help in upgrading all of our diff weaknesses?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
See, you might be going to some extreme. I would not say EVER. Sure, I have gone through a front and rear diff, but it took two years and I wheel a lot. And as we all know, a petition isn't really going to do something when presented with maybe a couple hundred signatures when they tens of thousands of vehicles.

But if you want to start one, I'll sign it.

·
on line
244 Posts
I would be glad to sign it even though I haven't had any issues with my current X or my previous X.

Off the topic a bit here, I just want to get this off my chest.... I wheel regularly with FJ's and this last trip the Toyota Trail Team was there with us. Toyota has put in alot of marketing and so on with the FJ and send the trail team to all sorts of events. Why doesn't Nissan do this??? They market the X with off-road capabilities and such... Why would Nissan offer a off-road edition X with rear locker if it wasn't made to off-road??

Don't get me wrong, I loved having my previous X and I love having my current X. It just upsets me that ther are some people having issues with Nissan and they want to sweep it under the rug like nothing is happening..... Just my 2 cents worth....

·
on line
735 Posts
The best we can realistically hope for is that Nissan will upgrade future model year Xterra's. With luck, the parts will swap, but if the right SUV comes along, I'd just buy it. I do have flexibility as I have not sunk any significant mod money into mine.

No way that they will pay reparations of sorts to current owners. Some beancounter in the underwriting dept. in the bowels of nissan corporate figured out that warranty costs on 4x4 drivetrain would be less than the profit made by selling cheaper/lighter components (x 400,000 trucks or whatever). plus the light parts helped them to squeeze and extra mpg out of the truck to help out with their corporate avg feul economy rating as mandated by the gov't.

like I said, if the product improves, then good on nissan, if not, vote with your wallet.

·
on line
152 Posts
Even though it seems like a lot of people on this board have had problems with the diffs... think about the big picture. What percentage of X owners actually have problems with there diffs? Probably less than the big dogs at Nissan care about.

Bottom line... marketing always wins over engineering... one of the many things I have learned over my short time in this world. Money always wins.

·
on line
152 Posts
You posted a little before me but i agree with you mike100. Money always wins

·
on line
139 Posts
No problems here, but I'll sign anyway if it will improve the quality of my vehicle. Never know when I'll need it.

D-Rock

·
on line
735 Posts
TXterra37 said:
No diff probs yet, but I would still support something like this. And what is this blasphemy of keeping our minds open to another SUV, mike100?!?!
well if a 30 mpg jeep wrangler diesel came along, but seriously, I was referring to a nissan product. For me, at the time, the xterra was a good choice and still is for as light a 4x4 duty as I require. I'm enjoying mine more than I did the first year and that's even knowing the front drive is disposable.

but... what if ford (for example) came out with a $24k solid axled 4 liter bronco like suv? 9or like an explorer with a real drivetrain. there is always the possibilty of the 'right' suv coming along no matter what the brand. At present, the FJ batting helmet doesn't seem like the right one.

·
on line
152 Posts
From what ive seen the new Bronco might not be that far away. Thats the only Ford id ever buy

·
on line
131 Posts
I would sign.

As for the beancounters and such. They can install what ever they want to as long as they warranty it. In Lloyd's case and mine they will not warranty our trucks. That is the problem that I have. I don't really care if it breaks, just fix it.

As you said Mike vote with your wallet. I am only 30 and currently own five cars. This was my first Nissan and my last. They could have certainly sold me many automobiles in the future. I am unfortunantly buried in mods on my truck so i will have to fix and keep it for a while.

·
on line
53 Posts
Anyone that is having trouble with Nissan about the diffs, I feel your pain, but would it not be better to send a petition of X, Titan, Fronty owners to ARB and get them to make a real locker we could depend on?

·
on line
4,593 Posts
but would it not be better to send a petition of X, Titan, Fronty owners to ARB and get them to make a real locker we could depend on?

Ding!

:yes:

No way that they will pay reparations of sorts to current owners.

QFT.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts