Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum. Without you it would have never occurred to me this kind of lift would be possible, or where to start as far as sourcing and installation of the lift. Right now this is the lift as it's been ordered (or being ordered). Hopefully I'll have everything in the next few weeks now, and I'll be installing everything shortly after all parts arrive!

Also, special thanks to the following people for having put in the effort to help people like me.
- Rook, your How-to: Source a Titan Swap and How-to: Full Titan Swap were very helpful
- chrishaynesusa, your TS thread was helpful as well, and the pics say a thousand words each!
- Greg at PRG, thanks for spending several hours discussing options and opinions with me, your insight was priceless! Also, you thread of lift vs travel was very helpful up front in deciding whether or not to even do a lift!

My TS upgrade is slightly different because I'm basically trying to do a titan swap, front bumper install with winch, upgrade the battery, and put on bigger tires, all at the same time. I'm trying to avoid small upgrades that I'll later replace, and just go for what I'll end up at in the end. It was me wanting to upgrade the bumper/winch that is actually one of the big reason's I'm doing the lift, however to keep this a suspension only TS thread the other upgrades which will happen simultaneously (if parts arrive on time) will be in my regular build thread.

Also, to keep this within budget I've decided to stick with 33" tires. From what I can gather this means I don't need to upgrade the front diff to the M205, re-gear front and rear for use with 35's, and don't need to upgrade to a rear bumper with tire carrier. Also, if I was doing all that I'd also install an ARB locker in the front, and 2in body lift to clear 35's. So not going that route is saving me something like $4k. Maybe one day, but not now.

Ok, so enough thank you's, enough explanation, here is my part list.

Suspension Parts (all NEW)
Custom Titan Swap kit from PRG - $2899 including shipping - excluding SAWs all PRG parts to be here by 3/15
- 2.5" SAW's (for Titan Swap) w/ 650lb springs - ARRIVED!
- PRG Titan Swap UCA's - ARRIVED!
- PRG Tie-Rod Extensions - ARRIVED!
- Braided brake lines - ARRIVED!
- SAW Extended axles - ARRIVED!
- U-bolt flip kit - ARRIVED!
- cam bolts - ARRIVED!
- Radflo 2.0 Xterra Rear Emulsion Shocks (sized for 4" lift, 21-22" eye to eye) - ARRIVED!
- 3 degree shims - ARRIVED!
- Rear brake line relocation bracket - ARRIVED!

OEM Titan LCAs (Part #'s 54500-ZR00A and 54501-ZR00A) - Brian @ JerseyParts - $330/pair (no shipping, picked up in person @ Shocker Run)

Custom Leaf Pack (4" lift, 450lbs) - Alcan Spring - $640 + $135 s&h - ARRIVED!

MOOG Titan Tie Rods (2x p# EV800216, 1x p# ES800031, 1x p# ES800032) - Amazon - $88.65 - ARRIVED!

2" Wheel Spacers (6 lug x 4.5", M12 x 1.25 thread, lug centric/wheel centering ring) - Motorsport Technology - $165 includes shipping - ARRIVED!

Total : approx. $4260

A few noteworthy things I figured out along the way
- Local Nissan dealer wanted something like $550 for the two LCA's, Brian @ Jersey parts gave me a much better deal! I'll definitely go back to him in the future for other OEM parts.

- MOOG tie-rods are much cheaper than Nissan Titan tie-rods (Nissan Titan tie-rods were quoted at $270 through Brian @ Jersey Parts).

- One thing I'll note, I plan to carry the stock tie-rods with PRG tie-rod extensions on the trail as backups to the MOOG tie-rods I'll be installing.

- For Alcan leaf springs, as has been documented elsewhere on this forum, you say I was X" of lift, they make them with X+1/2" and they'll settle to X" of lift after being installed and broken in. Just wanted to note that here for anyone wondering. For help selecting how stiff of springs to go with check out this thread. I selected what I did mostly based on the fact that I don't have a tire carrier with a 35" tire hanging way out back, and I want a good ride for 1-4 200lb people. I want to be able to take coworkers to lunch without bottoming out on cracks in the parking lot anymore! And I want to be able to take more than just my wife and I wheeling, in comfort.

I will be removing (and not replacing) both sway bars, as well as all the standard parts that are being replaced. FYI I'll have a bunch of 2012 Pro-4X parts (LCA's, UCA's, Bilstein shocks/coilovers) with only 25k miles on them for sale soon. Prices to be announced later, so probably not worth asking me about them now.

Also, I'll be looking into new bumpstops after this lift has been installed and evaluated. I may do Timbren's or even the new Radflo's available this spring (according to Greg @ PRG). Either way, for now sticking with stock, but expecting to likely be upgrading soon.

So that's where it all stands. I'll happily take constructive recommendations in case I missed anything. I'll be updating this as parts arrive, and some pics of the swap itself.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The extensions are only there to make it the length of titan tie rods. If titan tie rods are used no extensions are needed. This is independent of the front diff as it only applier to the steering rack and spindle. You may be thinking of the extended axles so that the r180 can be used with a titan swap setup.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think reading through Rooks How To: Titan Swap thread could answer your question 21SF. You can see in his build he didn't even replace the tie rods, just put the extension in, then later swapped out the R180 to the M205.

The MOOG titan tie rods work as long as you upgrade the UCA and LCA to titan lengths as well, as the tie rods don't mount to the differential, no matter which one it is.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Nice write up andrew! Do you plan on installing everything yourself? Looking forward to seeing everything come together!! Again, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I haven't titan swapped before, but I know pretty darn well how everything works.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bliss_X, thanks for the offer. Depending on how things go I might need to take you up on that!

I do plan on installing most everything myself. I got 2 rough quotes here to do it and they were $1200 and $1400, although that may have included the bumper/winch install too... Either way, I really want to do it all myself, because then I'll be that much more knowledgeable about the vehicle should something go wrong on the trail.

Oh, well I was considering having the extended brake lines put on by a regular shop (that doesn't specialize in lift installs). Not sure what that involves but if it seems messy and bleeding brakes sounds like not a lot of fun. And I'll get an alignment and tires installed after the lift at a shop.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Bliss_X, thanks for the offer. Depending on how things go I might need to take you up on that!

I do plan on installing most everything myself. I got 2 rough quotes here to do it and they were $1200 and $1400, although that may have included the bumper/winch install too... Either way, I really want to do it all myself, because then I'll be that much more knowledgeable about the vehicle should something go wrong on the trail.

Oh, well I was considering having the extended brake lines put on by a regular shop (that doesn't specialize in lift installs). Not sure what that involves but if it seems messy and bleeding brakes sounds like not a lot of fun. And I'll get an alignment and tires installed after the lift at a shop.
I would say do as much of it yourself as you can. Like you said, if something goes wrong on the trail, its good to know how to fix stuff. Also, knowing how everything works is IMO very important in the offroading community. We use our rigs how they were designed to be used, so you want to know how it all works, whats important, whats not as important, in case of a breakdown. Obv the tire install and alignment are going to have to be done by a shop, but the rest you can do yourself no problem. There are some tips and tricks I've learned along the way that I can pass onto you when the time comes. Heck I may even be able to help you wrench when the time comes. Just keep me in the loop!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad to see you're getting it started. Can't wait to see it at Wheelin' For Hope. We won't be guiding you around the big rocks this year! :headbang:

·
Registered
67 Posts
You did great stock so I'm sure you'll have a great time with the new setup.

Wish you were a little farther south I'd help you with the install.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts