Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After resetting your computer's memory with a Scan Tool; mine is a INNOVA 3130, you are required to perform a Trip Drive Cycle. This procedure ensures your computer's monitors are able to run their diagnostics. My Scan Tool's manual states to check the manufacture's manual on how to do this, but there is nothing in there about this procedure. Anyone know where to find out how to do this?

·
on line
142 Posts
Ask you local dealer's service manager, they will know. On my old Dodge Ram you had to fill the gas tank and then drive the truck 16 miles and then let it sit 12 hours. I thought the service guy was crazy but it worked and cleared the code 0 that stopped me from passing my emissions test.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
pluckyduck said:
Ask you local dealer's service manager, they will know. On my old Dodge Ram you had to fill the gas tank and then drive the truck 16 miles and then let it sit 12 hours. I thought the service guy was crazy but it worked and cleared the code 0 that stopped me from passing my emissions test.
That does sound odd but hey if it worked.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.....the owner’s manual has the procedure on page 9-29.
Supposedly, the procedure needs to be done anytime after the computer has been reset, whether from a dead battery or a scan tool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey all2surreal, wheat was that procedure you used?
Copied and pasting from a PDF I found online:

1. Start the engine when the engine coolant
temperature gauge needle points to C. Al-
low the engine to idle until the gauge needle
points between the C and H (normal oper-
ating temperature).

2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 MPH (88
km/h), then quickly release the accelerator
pedal completely and keep it released for at
least 10 seconds.

3. Quickly depress the accelerator pedal for a
moment, then drive the vehicle at a speed of
53 - 60 MPH (86 - 96 km/h) for at least 9
minutes.

4. Stop the vehicle.

5. Accelerate the vehicle to 35 MPH (55 km/h)
and maintain the speed for 20 seconds.

6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 at least 10 times.

7. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 MPH (88 km/h)
and maintain the speed for at least 3 min-
utes.

8. Stop the vehicle. Place the transmission se-
lector lever in the P (Park) or N (Neutral)
position.

9. Turn the engine off.

10. Repeat steps1-8 at
least one more time.
If steps 1 through 7 are interrupted, repeat the
preceding step. Any safe driving mode is accept-
able between steps. Do not stop the engine until
step 7 is completed.

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
539 Posts
This has worked on almost all vehicles in the past.

Hook up OBDII with I/M readiness status on screen.

With vehicle cold, start engine, turn on headlights and defroster idle until temp gauge moves. Drive stop and go @25mph-35mph for a few miles. Get to freeway and drive 55-60mph for at least 5 minutes, do NOT use brake pedal during this portion. SAFELY coast to a stop using parking brake, do not use brake pedal, where it is safe to do so.

I/M status usually goes to all sensors online except for one, this will allow vehicle to pass in most instances. Worked on Nissan, Honda, Toyota vehicles. Got my Pathfinder, QX4, Altima, Armada IM ready in under 15 minutes and 12 miles.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Just not to confuse anyone. That procedure is to try and get the monitors to set quicker. You don't have to do that every time you reset or disconnect the battery. Normal driving will set the monitors after a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts