Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Interesting.

Does this eliminate the WOT restriction? I’m super curious.

Oddly enough, my X is surprisingly torquey off the line. I’ve spun the tires a few times unintentionally when I’ve floored it from a stoplight.

The reviews are all very positive. Could it be true?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting.

Does this eliminate the WOT restriction? I’m super curious.

Oddly enough, my X is surprisingly torquey off the line. I’ve spun the tires a few times unintentionally when I’ve floored it from a stoplight.

The reviews are all very positive. Could it be true?
I think it just alters throttle input signal.
Say you give 10% on the pedal it tells the computer you are giving 20%.
Perhaps it also changes ramp up speed. Say you are accelerating to 50% at a rate of 1%per second , it tells the computer to go 3% per second. Eco mode would do the oposite I suppose.

I would like to try it as I don't like the dead spot leaving from a stop. It seems like nothing, nothing, then bam, it takes off.
It seems hard to accelerate quickly and smoothly, while not hammering it too much.

I am used to the throttle cable and man. tran of my DD so maybe I just need more miles.

There are some 10% off discount codes. "Audizine10" worked.
"JEEPGARAGE40" worked for $40 off.

·
Registered
598 Posts
For that amount of money might as well just get a Bully Dog, they are often going for 389$. The Bully Dog lets you adjust the throttle response but also does the monitoring, code reading etc and has some tuning options.
Do you think the tuners have the same abilities as this thing then? That this is just a lesser version of them?

I’ve not exhaustively researched them yet, as they are far down my list of mods. Maybe someday.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone noticed this help with fuel economy for longer trips? Or other modifications for that? I'm a new XTERRA owner and looking for any tips!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Anyone noticed this help with fuel economy for longer trips? Or other modifications for that? I'm a new XTERRA owner and looking for any tips!
If you want MPGs, the only modification that works is to sell your xterra and buy something that is designed with MPGs in mind.

No programmer/exhaust/intake/unicorn horn powder will fix this.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Drive like there is a raw egg under your right foot and you don't want to break it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you want MPGs, the only modification that works is to sell your xterra and buy something that is designed with MPGs in mind.

No programmer/exhaust/intake/unicorn horn powder will fix this.
Nah, there's always the cheapest and most efficient way to increase your MPG's - adjust the nut behind the wheel.

·
Registered
902 Posts
No one (including me). But it can be nice to save a little 'chump change'. It adds up, over the years:

Combined EPA rating on my 13 P4X: 17mpg
Lifetime MPG on my 6spd P4X: 21.5MPG
Total Gallons of fuel used: 2330.07
Total fuel cost: $6,716.80
Total fuel saved vs. EPA: 617.3 gallons
a little math gives us ...
Total $ saved over EPA Rating: $1,777.82

Hmm, that paid for my sliders and my rear Maxterra bumper (no tire carrier). Still working on paying for my skids and 33" tires but that'll take a little longer as I took a MPG hit of 1.5mpg on those 33's. But I'll take it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If your looking to increase your mpg, start with the basics.

1. Change your driving habits. Refrain from jackrabbit starts, and allow your vehicle to coast towards an intersection which you need to stop rather than driving forward and suddenly stopping.

2. Reduce the clutter in your vehicle. We tend to load our SUV's with everything from offroad gear to our children's necessities. This weight adds up and in turn will affect your gas mileage. Obviously, it takes more energy to push a heavy object than a lighter one.

3. Use the correct grade of gas. The xterra is recommended to use regular unleaded gas. Occasionally, add a can of Techron fuel injector cleaner to help keep your fuel system working optimally.

4. Keep your tires at the proper pressure

5. Take off any extra gear from your roof. Bike and canoe carriers along with raised aftermarket cross bars make our lives easier, but they also increase drag.

6. Choose a premium synthetic oil . I suggest Pennzoil Platinum , Royal Purple or Valvoline Synthetic.
If you dont change your own oil, purchase the oil of your choice and find an oil change business which has a window allowing you to watch the work being performed. As a side note, RP is truly purple which makes it easy to confirm your own oil wasn't swapped for something else.

7. Refrain from unnecessary idling

8. Fill your fuel tank in the morning. Gas is most dense in the morning while it's the coolest. When filling your tank, the gas you pump is being sold by its flow rate. Temperature affects the density of a fuel but not its flow rate. Thus, in the morning you have the potential to gain more petrol due to it being denser.

9. Maintain your vehicle. This includes routine tune ups and general maintenance . Dont forget to change your air filters regularly. Yes, our spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. However, you may notice a drop in your fuel mileage as your plugs get closer to the end of their life.

10. Choose a tire which fits your needs. Large, heavy all-terrain tires look cool on an SUV but they reduce your gas mileage also. If your offloading is limited to dirt roads and trail riding, you may do well to choose a quality street tire.

In my opinion, the greatest gain to your mpg will come from changing your driving habits.
Keep your highway speeds to the speed limit posted on the interstate your driving. unless your driving for the better part of the day, pushing past the speed limit by 10-15 mph is not going to have you arrive at your destination by a noticeable amount of time over driving the speed limit.When possible, draft behind a larger vehicle. Races are won on the race track, dont try to be the first person through an intersection and up to speed. As has been said before, drive as though you have an egg under your foot.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
There was a term which I couldn't remember last nite that shares the goal to save gas.

"Hypermiling"

Depending on your vehicle, some people have claimed to increase their fuel economy by 37%.

I believe this amount of an increase is a bit far fetched in an Xterra, but every little bit helps.

Link to a site which explains Hypermiling

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
700 Posts
There was a term which I couldn't remember last nite that shares the goal to save gas.

"Hypermiling"

Depending on your vehicle, some people have claimed to increase their fuel economy by 37%.

I believe this amount of an increase is a bit far fetched in an Xterra, but every little bit helps.

Link to a site which explains Hypermiling
I had looked into hypermiling a while back just to see what was possible but man..... Some of it is just plain crazy.
I drive like Brunnie says. like an egg is under the pedal, I coast up to stops, pop it in neutral when I can.. I leave space to avoid braking etc... serves me well. That's just my style. I'm middle age and not insecure about my manhood. But I dont really care about my mileage. I have a little hatchback which i hate driving.

But the batty stuff like drafting big rigs at 5 feet, not stopping at stop signs (LOL I love it when they say "If allowed in your region", where in the hell are stops optional. Turning off your car constantly... no power brakes... no steering... pffffffff.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Redneck.

I agree 100%

I will coast towards a red light in the hope it turns green preventing me from stopping.
Obviously, I support keeping my vehicle in proper running condition.
I may follow a semi truck on occasion, but I'm still a few car lengths back from their bumper.

Some of the lengths a hardcore hypermiler will go to in an attempt to save 1mpg is a bit over the top.
Mapping every route for length vs potential stops.
Running lights and stop signs.
Going without AC ( This is not going to happen so long as my ac works)
Choosing the skinniest tire possible to reduce rolling resistance.

My best gas saver is to simply leave my house 15 minutes earlier than needed. I'm not in a hurry to arrive at my destination which saves a little gas.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm middle age and not insecure about my manhood. But I dont really care about my mileage.
Wait until you reach retirement + and you realize that you have all the time in the world to get to where you're going. ;)
Being 70+ has real advantages, traffic blood pressure drops, you take scenic routes, and "We'll get there when we get there" attitude kicks in. :LOL:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I bought my P4X to help be a Jeep Recovery Unit for the hubs ol' CJ-7. However I also drive it daily for my healthcare job, and have to make house calls throughout the day. I am just trying to save what I can where I can, since I know it can be a beast on gas. Plus saving some cash for sliders and towards a winch would be nice. Again, thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts