Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: I bought this truck as a daily driver. I travel a lot for work, so I drive mostly state highways. I do drive many rough country dirt & lease roads getting to drilling rig locations.

Username: PebblePimp

Xterra's Nickname: Haven't thought of a good one, yet - But so far, I'm referring to her as "Xterra Patrick"

Make: Nissan
Year: 2005
Model: Xterra
Trim: S 6MT
Color: Avalanche White

MODS

Current Mods:
265/75R16 Toyo Open Country A/T upsized from 265/70/16
Kenwood DDX25BT head unit
Removed mud flaps

Future Mods:
Fuel Level Sensor
Carhartt seatcovers
OME lift kit
PRG short throw shifter
Volant CAI/powercore filter
Exhaust of some kind
Hefty aluminum bumper (even little critters & tumbleweeds will destroy plastic ones)
Hep's roof rack or Raingler Roof net (won't be used often, but will be used.
LED light bar/hood blackout (will come in very useful for a variety of reasons)
Painted grill
17" wheels
TBD

Comments (Cont'd): A 4x4 is pretty much a requirement to get where I need to go. Also, I'm an avid hunter & driving across a pasture or field to load up quarry/gear is a regular occurrence. After my Land Rover Disco I died, I decided on another SUV vs a pickup. The 2nd gen Xterras really caught my eye & I found this one for a good price as it needed a few issues fixed (see future projects list) that are pretty minor. I'm loving it. I've owned nothing but trucks since I was 16. This is my 3rd SUV, and my 2nd favorite (still a Rover boy at heart). The future mods aren't going to be super-wicked-awesome-sauce, but will be practical with a little coolness. We all want a nice looking truck, right?

It won't be the baddest X on the trail, but she'll still get good mileage & a comfortable ride.

PHOTOS

The Day I Got Her;

New Tires;

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just installed my new head unit. I should've read more threads about installing a double DIN receiver before wasting my time looking for a dash kit/antennae adapter. Didn't need either. Had it done in less than an hour, at night, with the map lights. It would've been a little over 30 minutes, but... I forgot about the microphone. I'll tie everything off tomorrow in the daylight. I have the wires all ran nicely, just need to secure them.

Also, still debating on where to run the USB cable. I just have it coming from behind the forward part of the center console on the driver's side. I'm not sure how I want to run it, yet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also, still debating on where to run the USB cable. I just have it coming from behind the forward part of the center console on the driver's side. I'm not sure how I want to run it, yet.
Do you have two power outlets in the passenger side, center of dash or just one? My X came with just one, I put the USB for my radio in an Marine grade plug I got of Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have two power outlets in the passenger side, center of dash or just one? My X came with just one, I put the USB for my radio in an Marine grade plug I got of Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have 2. I've seen that done on here before. I'd do it if I only had 1.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really an upgrade or any part of the build, but I did get a replacement cup holder insert in the mail yesterday. Mine was missing one. Pretty excited about that. Also, I ordered some lift struts at the same time (Amazon) that didn't get delivered. Apparently, UPS only wants a signature when for delivery when nobody is home...

Also, I have a feeling the mud flaps are about to come off. They didn't keep any mud off the running boards, so why keep them?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received my MaxPower rear lift struts while I was gone last week. Put them on yesterday morning. So much nicer now that I don’t have to hold the tailgate up.

Today, I took off the mud flaps & changed out the front u-joint at the t-case. It got pretty bad over the last week. I went with the Spicer greasable. It didn’t want to come out of the driveshaft at first. A little “sweet talk” & a few love taps with a brass shop hammer persuaded it easy enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Received my MaxPower rear lift struts while I was gone last week. Put them on yesterday morning. So much nicer now that I don’t have to hold the tailgate up.

Today, I took off the mud flaps & changed out the front u-joint at the t-case. It got pretty bad over the last week. I went with the Spicer greasable. It didn’t want to come out of the driveshaft at first. A little “sweet talk” & a few love taps with a brass shop hammer persuaded it easy enough.
Old one looks a bit crunchy...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Old one looks a bit crunchy...
Just a tad bit. Lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Clutch Adjustment

So, I’m sitting on my front patio having my coffee & got a wild hair to FINALLY adjust my clutch throw. In my pajamas. I’ve been putting it off for a while. 3.5 turns of the turnbuckle & my clutch is AH-MAZING! It took long to round up the the 14mm wrench than to do it (12mm was easy to find). Now, if I could only afford the short-throw shifter...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't been on much in the last couple of months. After the Austin Axle Affair took all my Xterra FUNds, I had to make regular life a priority. I have finally decided to do away with the worn suspension in the future instead of AAL/spacer kit. It makes more sense to get a light duty OME than band-aid the stock setup. If it weren't for the bottoming out, I would stick with the original plan. Also, Timbrens are definitely going on by Halloween. Work slowed down in July and I'm just now finally back on a job & an oil change is sneaking up on me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts