Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have owned my x since it was new in late 2006. back then I think it came with green coolant. Somewhere along the line i went with zerex asian red which is supposed to be good for our xterras. Today, i took it to the local shop and they put in peak asian red. He asked me if that's what i wanted and i told him, as long as it works with my nissan. he said it does. I looked it up and peak asian red is for toyota, lexus, scion- not nissans. He re-iterated that it is the same thing as the zerex asian red. Is he right?

anyhow, they used 2 gallons and i went on my way. I wanted a flush. I had stressed this over the phone. I don't think they could have flushed the system and filled it back up with just 2 gallons?

Before i burn a bridge, I have a few questions:

1) is the peak asian red ok for my xterra for the next 5 years as that fluid is rated for? is it compatible/correct for our nissans?

2) if the fluid in there was clean, which it was as it only had 10k miles on it after 5 years, should i just let this not flushing thing slide and pick another battle?

perhaps if the fluid is clean enough prior to draining, a flush is unnecessary?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Blue Good, Red Bad............Or is it?

Ok, I'm joking, but far to often consumers will get caught up in the color game.
I've read Nissan recommends a HOAT coolant for our vehicles with the OEM color being blue.
However, HOAT coolants can be other colors than blue.

With this being said, let's look at the labeling of the Peak Asian in Red vs Blue

Blue
PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for ASIAN VEHICLES - BLUE 50/50 PREDILUTED is an ethylene glycol-based antifreeze/coolant specifically developed for use in any Asian vehicle requiring a Blue phosphate-enhanced organic acid technology (POAT) formulation. It contains high-quality organic acid corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, silicate, and amines chemicals.
BLUE meets the performance requirements of ASTM D3306 and JIS K2234.

Red
RED/PINK 50/50 PREDILUTED is an ethylene glycol-based antifreeze/coolant specifically developed for use in any Asian vehicle requiring a Red or Pink phosphate-enhanced organic acid technology (POAT) formulation. It contains high-quality organic acid corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, silicate and amines chemicals.
Red Meets the performance requirements of ASTM D3306 and JIS K2234

With this being shared, does anyone suspect there is any difference between the Peak Red vs Blue other than the color of the die?

I suspect a POAT coolant would be fine in so long as your system was well flushed.
However, I'm no engineer.

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is peak green which my 2007 calls for based on peaks website:

PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for ASIAN VEHICLES - GREEN 50/50 PREDILUTED is an ethylene glycol-based antifreeze/coolant specifically developed for use in any Asian vehicle requiring a Green phosphate-enhanced organic acid technology (POAT) formulation. It contains high-quality organic acid corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, silicate and amines chemicals.

PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for ASIAN VEHICLES - GREEN meets the performance requirements of ASTM D3306 and JIS K2234. With a complete flush and fill, PEAK guarantees this coolant will provide service life protection of up to 150,000 miles or 5 years. Use PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY 50/50 PREDILUTED

as I have said, i have been using zerex asian red which lists nissan on it's label, for 10 years. here is that label:

Valvoline ZEREX Asian Vehicle (Red) Antifreeze Coolant is a patented* formula designed to meet the specifications of original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) requiring a red/pink, silicate free, hybrid organic acid technology formulation (HOAT). This formula has a service life of up to five years or 150,000 miles. It incorporates premium state-of-the-art phosphated organic acid additive technology in an ethylene glycol base for complete protection of today’s modern cooling system and engine components.
ZEREX Asian Vehicle contains no silicates, borates, 2-ethylhexanoic acid (2-EHA), amines or nitrites. It is compatible with premium long life Asian vehicle coolants, both for service and factory fill. Valvoline recommends ZEREX Asian Vehicle for all late model Asian vehicles requiring a red or pink HOAT chemistry.
ZEREX Asian Vehicle meets both ASTM and JIS specifications. In the ready to use formula, it is premixed with deionized water to protect all modern engine components from winter freezing and summer boiling. The chart below provides detailed mixing and boil/freeze protection information for concentrate. ZEREX Asian Vehicle is storage stable for up to five years as both a concentrate or diluted with water. It contains a high quality defoamer and will not harm gaskets, hoses, plastics or original vehicle paint. ZEREX Asian Vehicle is hard water compatible.
Call 1-800- TEAM-VAL with questions.
ZEREX Asian Vehicle (Red) Antifreeze Coolant is an approved formula for the following specifications:
Hyundai/Kia MS591-08
ZEREX Asian Vehicle (Red) Antifreeze Coolant is formulated to meet or exceed the following antifreeze specifications:
Valvoline recommends that spent coolant never be disposed of by dumping into a septic system, storm sewer or onto the ground. Instead, contact your state or local municipality for instructions on where to and how to properly dispose of this coolant and protect our environment.
If any coolant is spilled onto the ground, contain the spill and call the state authorities and ask for proper instruction on how to clean up the spill.
*U.S. patent 5,454,967
ASTM D3306
JIS K 2234-1994
ASTM D4985
Dae Woo
Daihatsu
Federal Specification A-A-870A
Ford WSS-M97B55-A
Honda/Acura
Mazda
Mitsubishi ES 64-217
Nissan/Infiniti
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota/Scion/Lexus
Isuzu

so they look similiar besides one being HOAT and the other being POAT. So since they really did not do a flush it seems, he said they did some manual flush but i can't see where they removed any hoses, they just drained radiator, what can happen? If there was this zerex asian red leftover and they added the peak asian red. bad things or no?

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
563 Posts
It does seem fine after looking at the labels.
But personally I wouldn’t be cool with it. I’d want blue or green after a good flush. No more thinking about it after that

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems to me that if nissan OEm spec is HOAT green for my 2007, and peak is saying the asian green is what i need for up to nissan 2009, and it's POAT, that the two should be compatible if mixed but won't last the full 5 years/150,000 miles?

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does seem fine after looking at the labels.
But personally I wouldn’t be cool with it. I’d want blue or green after a good flush. No more thinking about it after that
right but i've paid them already and me going back to complain would label me as a "problem customer".

i was under the impression i'd get, and asked for, a flush. it seems I did not get that even if the guy keeps saying I did. I am thinking of just going there tomorrow, and being up front with them/management and voicing my concerns:

1) i did not get a flush as it didn't take that long and they at first said they jsut do radiator drain and fills then corrected that to say flush.
2) i have a possible problem with mixing the POAT and the HOAT and won't get the full benefit of the extended life coolant- because they did not flush.

I don't want to burn a bridge as I am looking for a good place to go here in town, but maybe i need to and go find another place.

If i am ok with the two mixed for the next few years i may just let it ride and have it done in 2-3 years again.

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
563 Posts
right but i've paid them already and me going back to complain would label me as a "problem customer".

i was under the impression i'd get, and asked for, a flush. it seems I did not get that even if the guy keeps saying I did. I am thinking of just going there tomorrow, and being up front with them/management and voicing my concerns:

1) i did not get a flush as it didn't take that long and they at first said they jsut do radiator drain and fills then corrected that to say flush.
2) i have a possible problem with mixing the POAT and the HOAT and won't get the full benefit of the extended life coolant- because they did not flush.

I don't want to burn a bridge as I am looking for a good place to go here in town, but maybe i need to and go find another place.

If i am ok with the two mixed for the next few years i may just let it ride and have it done in 2-3 years again.
Understandable, especially since you asked them to flush the system completely.
Asking them wouldn’t hurt, I’d guess. And If they treat you like crap, well then they made your decision easier on which is your “home shop” in the area.
Any decent mechanic I know has been respectful and nice, and should do what they say they’re going to do.

easy for me to say though - I’m not the one in your shoes

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If I understand your post correctly, there appears to be three items which are of concern.
1: Proper Coolant
2: Time spent servicing your vehicle
3: Amount of Coolant used.

1. I wouldnt have a problem with the coolant your shop used.

2. It dont take long for a weekend mechanic to drain, flush and fill an Xterras cooling system and even less for a full time mechanic which has the equipment at hand to expedite the process. To be honest, I could probably perform this service (including burping the trapped air) in 30 minutes and I'm not a mechanic.

3. 2 gallons is a rather common amount of coolant needed to refill our cooling system.
The shop may have flushed your radiator with distilled water or cut you a break and flushed your system with some coolant left over from another job and not charged you.

Reactions: Lowcountry idn

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the mechanic simply matched the coolant colors. The vehicle was brought in with red coolant, so the mechanic matched that color when replacing the coolant. Matching colors is the safest play. Also, I think a POAT is a subtype of a HOAT, as in, a POAT is a type of HOAT. So clear....;)

Anyway, the vehicle came in with Zerex Asian red, which is described online as:
"Zerex is made for your car and protects better than industry standards against corrosion, leaking, deposits as well as freezing and boiling – the four main causes of cooling system failure, which is the leading cause of engine breakdown. Our HOAT formula includes a special phosphate additive that protects from corrosion, scale and rust, so radiators, water pumps and other metal cooling system parts"

The added Peak red asian coolant has a similar description:
Peak original equipment technology antifreeze + coolant is specifically designed for Asian vehicles requiring a red or pink coolant, and is formulated with the same phosphate-enhanced organic acid technology that protected your vehicle straight from the factory.

I say the vehicle exited the facility in a similar state that it entered the facility, albeit with newer coolant of the same type. If the red has been working for you, then all is good. Put that hoat and poat in your boat and avoid the moats.

·
TNX Veteran
4,877 Posts
This thread is exactly why we just bought an EV as our second vehicle lol. Every time I do any maintenance on my Xterra, I stress constantly about the colors, weight, type, amount, etc. and no matter what, I spill everywhere.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Your 2006 originally came with the green, which I think was a 30K coolant. I believe it was a pure OAT - as I think HOAT had silicate - which the nissan green does not - but I get confused easily. Either way I still run OEM green in my X, change it every 2 years minimum - used to be every year when I drove it a lot.

Even the newer vehicles with the original blue say 7 years / 105,000 miles on the initial fill, then 5 years / 75,000 miles on subsequent fills. Not sure why but I guess they figure as it gets older it needs to be changed more often.

Probably the proper question is how much did you pay for it? If the answer is not much, then I wouldn't sweat it. If your still running in a couple or three years, have it changed again.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
This thread is exactly why we just bought an EV as our second vehicle lol. Every time I do any maintenance on my Xterra, I stress constantly about the colors, weight, type, amount, etc. and no matter what, I spill everywhere.
Which one did you get? I imagine we will get one at some point in the future - it would make sense that one of our cars was for local use.

Still I can't help but believe these will be disposable vehicles, as even if they could be fixed you will probably be locked out of much of the stuff - albeit that isn't much different than some manufacturers ICE vehicles either.

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your 2006 originally came with the green, which I think was a 30K coolant. I believe it was a pure OAT - as I think HOAT had silicate - which the nissan green does not - but I get confused easily. Either way I still run OEM green in my X, change it every 2 years minimum - used to be every year when I drove it a lot.

Even the newer vehicles with the original blue say 7 years / 105,000 miles on the initial fill, then 5 years / 75,000 miles on subsequent fills. Not sure why but I guess they figure as it gets older it needs to be changed more often.

Probably the proper question is how much did you pay for it? If the answer is not much, then I wouldn't sweat it. If your still running in a couple or three years, have it changed again.

they said it was a flush, maybe it was but i can't see evidence of a flush- wouldn't hoses need to be disconnected for a flush? I do see where they drained from radiator and added it.

it's a hair low when cold engine off. I plan on checking today with engine on cold and go from there. She's getting a bath and wax today and if low i will pick up some coolant over the weekend and top her off via the overflow/degas tank thingamajigger.

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the mechanic simply matched the coolant colors. The vehicle was brought in with red coolant, so the mechanic matched that color when replacing the coolant. Matching colors is the safest play. Also, I think a POAT is a subtype of a HOAT, as in, a POAT is a type of HOAT. So clear....;)

Anyway, the vehicle came in with Zerex Asian red, which is described online as:
"Zerex is made for your car and protects better than industry standards against corrosion, leaking, deposits as well as freezing and boiling – the four main causes of cooling system failure, which is the leading cause of engine breakdown. Our HOAT formula includes a special phosphate additive that protects from corrosion, scale and rust, so radiators, water pumps and other metal cooling system parts"

The added Peak red asian coolant has a similar description:
Peak original equipment technology antifreeze + coolant is specifically designed for Asian vehicles requiring a red or pink coolant, and is formulated with the same phosphate-enhanced organic acid technology that protected your vehicle straight from the factory.

I say the vehicle exited the facility in a similar state that it entered the facility, albeit with newer coolant of the same type. If the red has been working for you, then all is good. Put that hoat and poat in your boat and avoid the moats.
thank you for this. Just reaffirmation that i did not screw the pooch.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
No need to remove hoses for a flush

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the biggest risk occurred 10 years ago when the coolant was switched from Green to Red. Some of those old formula green coolants don't mix well with the newer formula colored coolants. By not mixing well, I mean chemical reactions take place leading to solids/crystals developing in the coolant lines. That doesn't appear to have happened.

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
on line
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they said it was a flush, maybe it was but i can't see evidence of a flush- wouldn't hoses need to be disconnected for a flush? I do see where they drained from radiator and added it.

it's a hair low when cold engine off. I plan on checking today with engine on cold and go from there. She's getting a bath and wax today and if low i will pick up some coolant over the weekend and top her off via the overflow/degas tank thingamajigger.
so was full a hair past the max line with engine off and cold. i started it and the overflow bottle became nearly empty. with the level below the min line with it running and still cold engine. I am going to go buy some more of it and top off tomorrow when cold and running to the midway point between min and max.

i am guessing all the fluid went back in radiator when running from cold? or i have some air pockets?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I think the biggest risk occurred 10 years ago when the coolant was switched from Green to Red. Some of those old formula green coolants don't mix well with the newer formula colored coolants. By not mixing well, I mean chemical reactions take place leading to solids/crystals developing in the coolant lines. That doesn't appear to have happened.
His original coolant was Nissan green - which is a OAT - not the old green stuff from the 70's. It will mix with a PHOAT without issue - in fact the Nissan blue is a PHOAT and Nissan said mixing was no problem but the longevity matched the shortest rated coolant.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
how does a flush then work? i thought they always removed top hose or something and hooked to machine?
Modern radiators often have a drain plug which make a flush easier.
Most general mechanics will drain the old fluid from the radiator, refill with distilled water, crank and warm your engine until the water in the radiator is circulating through your cooling system followed by draining the distilled water and a refill of coolant.

A cooling system which has not been maintained properly may require further flushes and or the use òf a cleaning agent to assist in properly removing potential buildup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts