Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our X is brand new. We have had it about 3 weeks now and I have discovered two electrical issues most likely related to an incomplete PDI by the dealership. :tard:

First one is that the hill descent control does not appear to work. I have double checked the manual for how it is supposed to work and it just doesn't seem to come on at all.

Second one reared its head when the wife was driving and the engine flamed out unexpectedly ... luckily at very low speed. She noticed that the voltage gauge dropped to zero suddenly at the same time.

At first I thought she had just stalled the engine but the voltage gauge doesn't drop to zero when that happens.

Anyway, was checking under the hood today and discovered the negative terminal on the battery is quite loose. So loose that I was able to pull it completely off the battery just by giving it a bit of a tug. I'm not 100% certain that's what caused the flame-out but a loose elec connection to the battery certainly could cause something like that and certainly can't be good in a vehicle with so many electrical systems in it.

The other day I also discovered that the radio antenna was only on hand tight and I was able to back it off quite easily. Minor but annoying and shouldn't happen in a new vehicle.

Guess I will be heading back to the dealership .... again.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My antenna doesn't do that. I have never needed to tighten it. As for the hill descent control, I assume you already checked all the fuses?

It sounds like you need to have a talk with your dealer. While tightening a battery terminal and a radio antenna are easy fixes that any DIYer should be able to accomplish without even thinking about it, you shouldn't need to do either on a brand new vehicle. If you get charged money for any of this, I would be shocked (well not really, since I already have an abysmally low opinion of car dealerships in general...)

Regardless, let us know how it turned out. The XTerra is a great vehicle and hopefully you don't have issues after this.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When I replaced my battery I got one of those little terminal caps to make the connection tighter. It cost 99 cents and my negative terminal isn't going anywhere (positive was good and tight on its own)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what you are saying is the dealer won't be able to fix the loose battery terminal? Seriously we have been using battery connections like this for fricken decades. How hard is it to make sure the two fit together tightly? Is Nissan hiring monkey's or engineers?

It sounds like you need to have a talk with your dealer. While tightening a battery terminal and a radio antenna are easy fixes that any DIYer should be able to accomplish without even thinking about it, you shouldn't need to do either on a brand new vehicle.
Of course I can fix these two issues myself but the point I want to make with the dealer is that I shouldn't have to on a brand new $35,000 + vehicle. This is really simple stupid stuff to be having to bugger around with. :bs:

I am hoping that the rest of the vehicle is put together properly at this point.

·
on line
951 Posts
My antenna loosened up a few times the first few months I had the truck. Got sick of it and let it fall off after the poorly trained monkey in the shop tightened it during an oil change. Raised hell with the service monkey(manager) and they replaced it for free. And 3 days later it was loose again, so I tightened it and it has not moved since.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was in to the dealer today and discovered something REALLY interesting about my new truck.

Apparently the reason the Hill Descent Control doesn't work is because a manual transmission Xterra doesn't have that system installed ..... even though my truck has the switch.

Seriously Nissan QC needs to sort their **** out if they can't figure out that a manual tranny vehicle isn't supposed to have a specific button installed.

Anyway, apparently the truck is supposed to have a VDC Off button in that location so the dealer has ordered it and will install it next week.

I am seriously beginning to worry what other bits are in there or not in there that are supposed to be ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just wondering why you had Hill Decent bc Autos only have that feature.

You should have only gotten the Hill Start Assist. Is that the button? Or is there a button for that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just wondering why you had Hill Decent bc Autos only have that feature.

You should have only gotten the Hill Start Assist. Is that the button? Or is there a button for that?
Nope, Hill Start Assist is only for auto's as well. Apparently us manual tranny drivers don't need as much electronic help driving our vehicles. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm.. I don't have a hill start assist button on my auto x... though it will hold the brakes on an incline until I press the gas.
Your truck doesn't have hill start assist? But on a hill it doesn't roll backwards till you hit the gas ..... which is exactly what hill start assist does.

.. I thought that the manual x does that too but that manuals have a button that allows you to start the truck without having the clutch disengaged?
I read about this in the manual but my manual tranny truck doesn't have that button installed. Maybe thats the one that is missing? That will be yet another trip to the dealer no doubt. :(

Don't need the help, just nice to have when you're lazy :)
Just how lazy do you have to be to not want to put your left foot on the brakes and right foot on the accelerator?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts