Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i didnt have this issue when i had my 295's on but i think when i switched to 305's it seems that my front shock is rubbing on my cv axle and its making a clicking/cracking sound. I've uploaded youtube video of this but i also wanted to post the pictures.

The drivers side cv axle and shock are fine and there is a bigger gap between the two than on the passenger side. Anyone have any idea? Help? the sound is driving me nuts and also i only hear it at low speeds.

you can see below where they touch as they left a mark on the cv axle.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
thats weird how that would randomly start happening. how long have you had those shocks on the front? I think its irrelevant that when you changed the size of your tires this started happening. Maybe your cv joint is going bad which is why the axle moved?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they are cranked all they way!

I had these for 18months now and no sounds or issues before may when i put 305s on. You think replacing cv joint would fix the issue?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
98 Posts
You have all those threads under the spring. You will raise the truck ride height a little bit but you do have plenty of room to adjust them. If you spin them down to lower the ride height you will make them hit / rub more or touch at ride height.

I think the timing may be a coincidence or maybe something is up with the cv.

Did you get an alignment when you got the tires?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You should just be able to use different "spacers" for the lower shock mount. I got offset ones from Greg at PRG for the SAW coilovers. They would rub except that I have a larger spacer on the CV axle side and a smaller one on the other side just to offset it a little bit.

What coilovers are those? If you call Greg and give him some dimensions etc I can't imagine he couldn't get some made up for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After looking at the pictures again, It looks like it is not the adjustment ring that is hitting the shaft. It looks like the threaded body that surrounds the shock.

Killswitch, I believe these are the Nisstec Bilsteins. They do not use the misalignment spacers. But I think you may be on the right track. Check to see if the hoop that surrounds the rubber bushing is centered in the LCA mounts. I am betting it shifted. Not sure why but mine did and I only noticed it after I removed them and tossed them in the shed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes here is the part that is hitting:

the fronts are from the ultimate nisstec kit. They are Blistains 5100

so the best way to do this:

1. Get alignment?
2. Call Gregg and see what he suggests?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Being that they are from Nisstec, I would call Chris. I would first look and see if the shock is centered in the LCA mount. I believe it may have shifted.
Unless I missed something, you can not use misalignment spacers. So having Greg make you something will probably not help as there is nowhere to put them.
But if you do not like Chris's answer. Greg is a great resource also. I have dealt with both of them and have nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
I had a problem similar to this after installing my 2.5 SAWs. It was on the passenger side and I ended up having the offset spacers that come with the kit on backwards. I just popped the bottom of the coil off and reversed them and it was fixed. However, I think Radflos and SAWs use different spacers. Killswitch can probably confirm

See here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61581

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Ya, the Radflos and SAWs do use different spacers. However, because these are bilstiens, and use rubber bushings, rcheliman is exactly right, none of those missalignment spacers would fit in there between the lower shock mounts so the spacers won't work for these coilovers.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright...ill give Chris a call and also i scheduled an alignment this saturday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts