Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my laptop on the passenger seat. The laptop and the case weights about 10 lbs. The passenger airbag off light came on. When I took the laptop off, the light went off. Is this normal?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the light is always supposed to be lit up (which means the pass. airbag is off) unless someone above 50 or so pounds sits in the seat. there is a little weight switch to detect if an 'undersized' person is sitting in the seat, which deactivates the airbag.

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. I am going to read up on this in the manual. Thanks.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I've had the same thing happen. It's supposed to be 50 lbs. or whatever, but a lap-top is dense, and the sensor is probably small and imprecise, and well...you get the point. Sounds normal.

·
on line
97 Posts
The light will come on momentarily when you start the car then remain off if no one or thing is in the seat. The light will come on if it detects weigh on the seat that is between a certain weight range (not sure how much with out reading some manuals…). In this phase it the light will remain lit until the weight is removed or it gets heavier than the “small person� weight. It comes on the same way when I have put my laptop or other heavy item on the seat. It’s working just fine... Don’t worry…

·
on line
3,592 Posts
The light will come on if you place a 24 pack of Beer in Front seat.

Found this out, few months ago.

not sure if the frame has a sensor, or the cushion.

Good news, the Beer will not be Thumped by the air bag!!!.. whew... :)

·
on line
3,754 Posts
JDX06 said:
is the airbag light suppose stay on if nothings on the seat?
no. at least mine doesn't. mine lights up when i start the truck and goes out after a few seconds. same if some one gets out while the truck is running, the light comes on then goes out.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
I have to get mine fixed I think, mine goes on when my wife sits in the seat! It is really uncomforting...anyone else this happens to??? I think I have a defective sensor or its in teh wrong location or soemthing.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Same for my wife she's pretty small so i think the sensor is reading her as a kid and deactivates the AB. Only happens occassionally so I thinkit has to do with whether she sitting in the middle of the seat or off to the side.

·
on line
384 Posts
How is your wife sitting in the seat? When my wife sits in the seat, the light is off (and the airbag would be active). If she tucks a foot under the other leg (effectively sitting on her foot), the airbag light comes on (and the airbag is deactivated).

So when this happens, look to see how your wife is sitting in the seat. If she is sitting normally and centered in the seat, then I would have the sensor checked.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Sorry for bringing back an old thread but i just bought a 2010 xterra and my 120 lb wife sometimes makes the "passenger airbag off" light come on while sitting normally on the seat. Its kinda scary. We took it to the dealer and of course, it is working propery and they don't want to make any modifications. Its starting to make me mad because the sensor is obviously not designed that well, and other people on this forum have had problems as well.

My question to ya'll is if there is a work around to basically make the airbag unable to turn off.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I started a similar thread a couple of months ago. I guess you could disconnect the harness that it plugs into and jumper some connections. No idea how it's wired but worth looking into. But I wouldn't do this if you ever have children in the front seat.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Like mentioned.. if kids.. Leave as is..

Depends how it reads.. Wonder if you could add a Duffel bag of Few pounds to the back side of the seat hanging from the Head rest?. Just enough to Keep light off, when the wife is in seat.

Other option.. (would get US men shot!! Eat more food) :)

·
on line
6,649 Posts
That's nuts that 120lbs isn't recognized. My previous car (Scion tC) would think someone was sitting in the seat when I had my book bag for school sitting on it (drove me nuts because then the seatbelt warning would ding forever). If it's any help, my passenger seat recognizes about a 135lb person. Maybe have her hold her purse on her lap...that's good for another 50 lbs for most women lol.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Depends how it reads.. Wonder if you could add a Duffel bag of Few pounds to the back side of the seat hanging from the Head rest?. Just enough to Keep light off, when the wife is in seat.
That won't work. There is a pressure sensor in the bottom seat pad that triggers the airbag disable on/off.

Sounds like you have a faulty pressure sensor. You need to get the problem to replicate itself at the dealership.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is no specific weight that the dealer will give you for on and off but it seems from what i have seen 110-125 lbs seems to be the area of concern. It also depends on how the person is sitting in the seat and their movement. It is not a problem, it is off for safety reasons. It may concern you but air bags are dangerous and you still have seat belt pre-tensioners and side air bags which are not as dangerous to smaller passengers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts