Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys give me some recommendation on which seal/or parts to use to run the wire and have the area properly seal , so water wont get it ?

I wanted to run some wires through the roof and install light bar ..

just not sure which method is would be great . wonder if i need to check out home depot or something ..

thanks in advance

·
on line
22,508 Posts
There are LOTS of threads on this. You should search a bit for ideas.

Here's what I did:
Tips First
*To avoid drilling to far into anything like the roof when drilling the wind cowl or visa versa, slide a socket over the drill bit.

*To run wires through the roof I DO NOT recommend just putting the wires through a hole in sheet metal and siliconing. Too much of a risk that chaffing will cause an electrical short or water leak. Instead buy some PVC cut a short piece, buy a rubber grommet to run the pipe through. I made it so tight that i had to lube the pvc to slide it through. Thats how you want it. No water leaks this way, even without silicone, and its easy to add more wires later if you add accessories.

*A good spot to ground out your lights is right near the hole they run through above the dome light. Sand to bare metal around this little hole in the pic and use a sheet metal screw to attach ground wires here, inside and away from the elements, yet still close to the lights. Shorter the ground wires the better.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I used gaskets and lots of silicone. No leaks in eight years and counting. I put my holes under the large plastic roof supports so I gained a but of protection that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts