Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Parrot Asteroid Smart head unit, replacing a Pioneer x910bt.

Anyone else using this? I love it so far and it is quite the flexible little unit.

Pros vs. my pioneer:

Great A2DP wireless streaming with multiple phones. With my pioneer, i had an add-on BT device and I could only connect with one device at a time. The parrot also displays music info on the screen along with progress bar, skip control, etc. that I did not have before.

bluetooth handsfree is excellent.

multiple navi apps. I'm using the included igo and it seems fine. TomTom for $70 from the asteroid market seems to be the favorite.

Torque app ($5 from market). I added a $10 obd2 bt connector and it is pretty amazing to see live info from the ecu. I was hoping for tpms, but apparently tpms is handled a different way and is not visible.

cons:

no optical disc, but I don't use them much. I only used a cd once in 4 years on my old unit.

no physical volume.

All in all, i love this thing. a marketplace of apps, tons of connectivity, capacitive screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
install question

Did you do it yourself or have it installed? How difficult was it to install? Are you able to use your steering wheel controls? Can you snap a picture?

I have been wanting to do the same thing since I saw that it was coming out. I have a similiar Pioneer that I inherited and installed. I am not happy with the time to boot and bluetooth streaming issues.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
installed it myself. pretty easy if you're familiar with stereo installs and hooking up the wiring harness.

Cold boot time is still longer than a plain old radio. probably 25 seconds, but quicker than my pioneer. it has a motion sensor so it starts booting in the background when it senses motion before you turn on the key.

my x does not have stereo controls but the parrot does work with an adapter and a parrot cable, about $60-80.

150+ page thread here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2118432&page=186

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
OP you still digging this radio? I ended up snagging a new-old stock one off eBay for cheap. Either I'll use it in my Xterra (and move the old, still great, JVC Nav to my convertible) or I'll just put it in the toy car.

Parrot Asteroid Smart - USA

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I ended up installing the Parrot over the weekend and wrapped it up last night.

Its a great little android unit. Much better (IMO) than the China versions. Yes, you can get a Pumpkin or a Joying from China for about the same price that Parrots are going for (~$250 - $350) and yes, those China units on paper have much better specs on the surface. Most China units in that price range are 1-1.2Ghz quad core processors with 1 to 2 gigs of RAM. By comparison the Parrot is only 800MHZ w/1gig of RAM. If you read the reviews though, a lot of those China units have poor radio reception, flaky reliability, random crashes, crummy phones - they just aren't fully sorted.

The Parrot also runs an outdated version of Android (2.3) where most China units are 4.1 and some are 5.0.

I did a bunch of research and landed on the Parrot because 1) Its a reliable thoroughly tested unit from a major manufacturer, and 2) the specs that most people over look are great on it. The Parrot has 5V pre-outs, a great onboard amp, and an awesome HD phone system. For a Car Stereo that can run some apps its excellent. And that's exactly what I wanted. A good sounding stereo, that's well sorted, and can run some basic apps (mostly Waze) with a great GPS system.

PROS:
1. Sound is excellent, lots of tweaking options
2. Android: Waze, Voice Recognition, can pair two phones and hot spot share, reads txts to you and can be dictated back
3. Polished, everything works as it should. Was very easy to install and setup.
4. Can be rooted, but I likely won't bother

CONS:
1. No CD
2. No HD radio tuner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts