Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So the battery in my 2008 Xterra was being drained even while sitting as a result of a 0.6A draw. I tracked it down to the Air Conditioning Control System. When I unplug connector M49 (the main connector for the climate controls minus the blower speed, the connector with the swinging latch thing) the draw goes away. I've looked a bit in the service manual but don't know much about electronics and am unsure where to proceed from here. Based off my limited knowledge of electronics and the fact that it stops when I unplug the controls, I'm guessing the issue is happening either inside the controls or on the "down-current" side (no idea if that's an actual electronics term) of the wiring. Any ideas of how to proceed with the troubleshooting? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I'm in the same boat today. Measured a 0.22A current when the truck is off and doors closed. I found a fuse that reduced by current draw by at least 100 milliamps that is related to the AC compressor. Investigating now. Will let you know if I learn something. Right now I suspect the compressor relay, but not sure how to test that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
How / when did you test the parasitic draw? You need to attach your meter between the negative cable and battery, then let the truck sit there for at least 2 hours with the meter on then go check. The process of disconnecting the battery cable and installing the meter wakes some things up that have to go back to sleep, and some of them take a fair while. Leave the meter on and reading, because the meter restarting will cause things to wake back up again. Probably only a hour, but give it a couple hours to be safe.

Mine will go from 200mA to 100mA in about 10 minutes, then to like 25mA in about 20 minutes, then to like 10mA in about an hour +/-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Interesting point. I didn't know that I needed to wait for things to go "to sleep". My test method included placing the multimeter in series with the positive terminal. I only waited long enough for the dome lights to go out.

I do have some kind of an issue. My battery died after 2 weeks of driveway sitting. The battery had 2.5 volts on it (Wallmart Maxx-something battery ...14 months old).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Interesting point. I didn't know that I needed to wait for things to go "to sleep". My test method included placing the multimeter in series with the positive terminal. I only waited long enough for the dome lights to go out.

I do have some kind of an issue. My battery died after 2 weeks of driveway sitting. The battery had 2.5 volts on it (Wallmart Maxx-something battery ...14 months old).
It doesn't likely matter where you break the circuit to measure current, but you do need to let it sit / go to sleep for a couple hours. Things like the ECU and BCM take a long time to shut off.

For the battery, I have had batteries last from 45 days to many years. I would re-check you current draw properly before you assume that is your issue.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top