Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us got together for a last minute trip out to Anza Borrego. We explored 17 Palms and 5 Palms Oases, followed by a quick trip out to the Pumpkin Patch, then finally though the various washes south of S-22 to Font's Point to catch the sunset.

Navigation was easy with the Xmas Penguin option installed next to my Garmin.

First stop, 17 Palms Oasis and the old Prospector's Mailbox.

Some interesting mineral deposits of some sort formed in the mud around the oasis. The shined like broken glass in the sunlight.

From there we moved on to 5 Palms Oasis (well, there are really only 4, and only 2 of those are the old ones).

·
on line
92 Posts
x2

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TXterra37 said:
Beautiful scenery! But where are the 'during' pics?! No off-roading, just there for the view?
The whole point of the trip was to spend some time with a few friends, explore a bit in the desert, and get some photos. Most of the off-road driving was in sandy washes, nothing real technical or even close to difficult (unless you don't know better than to stop or start abruptly in soft sand). We probably spent as much time sitting around at lunch eating fresh apple pie from the Julian Pie Co and talking as we did driving. The whole thing started out because one of the other guys and I wanted to get some photos from Font's Point at sunset.

So yeah, I guess you could say we were "just there for the view".

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Right on, it looks like a fun time. That is a very good looking area!

·
on line
45 Posts
Those are some great shots Frank!

I know it may be hard to believe, but there are some of us who like to get out and enjoy the view and walk around a bit rather than just spend our weekends crawling over rocks and stuff!

It was a fun day indeed. Here are some of the shots I took too...

Cool Palms at the Oasis

Flakey crystalline forms

Dan playing king of the hill

Intrepid John scaling Mt. Muddy

The group treks to high ground

Stack 'o rocks

I'm trying to learn to take pictures of people so here's one of my attempts.

This pidgeon was luckier than the first one Dan met on the Area 51 trip. After becoming lodged in the foglight hole, it took up residence in his Christmas Wreath.

Sir, please don't disturb the nesting birds.

On to the Pumpkin Patch. Nice sign...

Pumpkins

More Pumpkins

Sunset over the Badlands

Photo Frank

Moonrise over my X

1 - 11 of 11 Posts