Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the X re-painted a different color? I'm searching around online and local places vs doing it my self but that's not something I really feel comfortable with.

I'm looking to go with a flat black all around, changing it up to help advertise for our business, and getting some logos/decals made. Requested a quote from Line-X, have a feeling that's gonna be way too much, and bedliner is gonna require a lot of cleaning and very often.

If anyone has any experience please let me know. Price, times, etc.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Has anyone had the X re-painted a different color? I'm searching around online and local places vs doing it my self but that's not something I really feel comfortable with.

I'm looking to go with a flat black all around, changing it up to help advertise for our business, and getting some logos/decals made. Requested a quote from Line-X, have a feeling that's gonna be way too much, and bedliner is gonna require a lot of cleaning and very often.

If anyone has any experience please let me know. Price, times, etc.

DIY prep for painting is tedious, but easily achieved. Taping, cleaning, sanding, smoothing, and cleaning again. The hard part is spraying the primer coat and finish coats on the prepped vehicle. You need an enclosed area with no air movement and proper roof ventilation. You also need a proper spray gun and have to know how to use it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I know creepy had his done in a different Nissan Blue. I would go with Plasti-dip. It's about $50 per gallon or you can get their kits with sprayer for close to a third of what a regular paint shop would charge. If you check their website, there might be a authorized sprayer in the area. There's a shop near me that said he would charge about $600 and they would spray it extra thick because of the Off-Roading I do.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm. Haven't really thought about plasti-dipping the X. I'd be more worried about durability of it though. I haven't used the stuff at all, but from what I've read people say you can just pull it off? Not sure if the pro stuff is any better, but that would be a big determining factor

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have it on my rear passenger doors to cover up some trail damage I did in November.

It has held up better then the rustoleum bedliner on my rocker panels. I would not put it on my sliders or skids because it will peel away where it contacts rock but it is pretty sturdy otherwise. It holds up fine to power washing. There are special cleaners for it but power wash and spray wax seem to be perfect...

I am going to peel that off and try to color match the damage on the passenger side. If that doesn't work, I am going to plasti dip again but do a bigger section. If I don't like it, I will peel it off again...

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know creepy had his done in a different Nissan Blue. I would go with Plasti-dip. It's about $50 per gallon or you can get their kits with sprayer for close to a third of what a regular paint shop would charge. If you check their website, there might be a authorized sprayer in the area. There's a shop near me that said he would charge about $600 and they would spray it extra thick because of the Off-Roading I do.
Hmm. Did you find the dealer through the Dipyourcar.com site? Found the DIY kit for $450, $600 doesn't sound too bad, that way I won't have to worry about messing anything up or much prep work.

take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

I did my wheels and they've held up to snow, ice , mud and a power washer. you can remove the dip up to 3 years later without harming the paint underneath

here's their FAQ vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY
Not bad. It's something I'll consider, and as it looks now a lot cheaper than any other route.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't forget to prep the plastics with acetone. Looking forward to this!
I've been playing with the idea of doing some type of green
Green would be awesome. I always wanted OD Green, especially in a dark matte color.

Advertising a business? Wrap is the way to go.
You can get more out of a wrap for less money.
Yup. Then I'll need to get some graphics as well.

Right on, thanks! Williamstown is fairly close. Quotes so far range from $7-900 for the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Not a bad price... If you go that route, make sure to have them spray it on extra thick or a few extra coats.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Right on, thanks! Williamstown is fairly close. Quotes so far range from $7-900 for the whole thing.
FYI, I know a full size van getting full graphic wrap done for a grand. You should be able to get a no/low graphic wrap for a lot less.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts